Boycott Beth.net

Mitigate

Magic of the free market - are you kidding me?

Adam Smith's invisible hand of the market may have been valid 200 years ago - now look where it has got us - inefficiency is the norm, shoddy goods with planned obsolecence - things made on the other side of the world then shipped 12000 miles rather than being made near the demand the collapse of capitalism and whatever system were using now is being propped up by appalling Central Banks and debt of the individual.

Sorry - don't agree with your take on the subjects covered in this thread and I can't have you using crap like "Magic of the free market" - there is nothing magic or free about it and your completely delusional if you believe there is.

I refer you to the Zeitgeist movement, Culture in Decline - or a very apt and superbly written TV program currently aired by USA - "Mr. Robot"

When I say magic of the free market I mean that a customer can choose what to buy and a producer can choose what to produce. That does not necessarily mean I do or do not support absolutely everything in the free market. As you might be aware, the free market society is different in every country.

Reality check. I have not watched Mr Robot yet. But you are aware the show's producers make serious $ and so do the actors?

And yes, there is a base line of magic in the free market. You can decide to sell something at any price you want and the customer can decide if he wants to pay for it. Then the price of that thing will get adjusted until both parties have a reasonable price.

Reality check - monopolies, conglomorates and legislation in existence that says that corportations are legally obliged to make the MAXIMUM profit regardless of circumstance have completely superceded and reality in the basis that the non-existent "free-market" you mention actually sets the cost of anything.

Just because actors and makers of TV programs make serious money does not make the fact that when they make something worth watching - that has something to say - any less valid. Bill Hicks probably made decent money as a comedian yet he still told the truth, Charlie Brooker probably makes decent money as a TV presenter but he still points out the truth.

The "free market" isn't different in varying countries anymore - it doesn't exist. I'm not some raving communist - Capitalism as a political and Economic theory is great - but it doesn't exist anymore either. Anyone who's studied politics or sociology even at the most basic level can tell you what we live in now bears no resemblance to Capitalism whatsoever - it may have started out that way but it's long gone.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many European countries have strong unions, privacy laws and anti-monopoly legislation. And you do sound like a raving communist. I live in Germany. Privacy laws are one of the strongest in the world. There is an office that specifically deals with Monopolies, and Unions are strong, and firing people from your company can get very complicated.

So I do not see what you are raving about. I can freely choose what I want to buy.

Unions have been hamstrung in the Uk - first by Thatcher and more recently by Camerons tories - I would go into detail but your only hearing what you want to and answering the points you delusionally believe you have some sort of clue about.

How many communists believe that Capitalism is a fantastic theory in practice for example?

I'm not going to waste my breath on someone who's mind is closed to new concepts, opinions or ideas.

Unions have been hamstrung in the Uk - first by Thatcher and more recently by Camerons tories - I would go into detail but your only hearing what you want to and answering the points you delusionally believe you have some sort of clue about.

How many communists believe that Capitalism is a fantastic theory in practice for example?

I'm not going to waste my breath on someone who's mind is closed to new concepts, opinions or ideas.

Well you should elaborate on what you mean instead of throwing the word ZEITGEIST at people, which got hijacked by that hippie movie. Its meaning in German is something entirely different.

Also what is your new concept? Everyone who has more things than you is an evil corporate capitalist?

Edited by lelcat

The Zeitgeist (spirit of the age or spirit of the time) is the dominant set of ideals and beliefs that motivate the actions of the members of a society in a particular period in time. For example, the Zeitgeist of modernism motivated the creation of new forms in the fields of architecture, art, and fashion during much of the 20th century. Zeitgeist is a powerful force embedded in the individuals of a society.[1] The German word Zeitgeist, translated literally as "time mind" or "time spirit", is often attributed to the philosopher Georg Hegel, but he never actually used the word. In his works such as Lectures on the Philosophy of History, he uses the phrase der Geist seiner Zeit (the spirit of his time)—for example, "no man can surpass his own time, for the spirit of his time is also his own spirit."[2]

It's so bad, I'm copying and pasting from Wikipedia. I'll never forgive myself for this.

Yes, what I referred you to was the "Zeitgeist Movement" - the same movement that has evolved from the "Hippy Movie". I didn't just throw the word Zeitgeist at you.

I have on several occasions defended Capitalism - I have made no attack whatsoever on people who have more than me - I am neither greedy or envious. I didn't claim to have a new concept - the concepts in question are the fact that capitalism is no longer the system we are using - I know this because I understand the theory of capitalism and it bears no resemblence to whatever unknown system of economics we use today - it's being made up as it goes along largely by Central Banks.

Look, your entitled to believe whatever you want to believe - if nothing else we've established that I apparently am a raving communist who believes everyone who has more than me is an evil corporate captialist and that you believe that the Zeitgeist movie was a hippy movie - in that case - I'm a hippy. Peace out!

Like so many threads recently they've become infested with trolls... If anybody says anything positive about the Nexus and bang.... There they are putting it down.... If anybody, God forbid, says anything negative about Beth and bang.... There they are again putting that down.... Just arguing for the sake of arguing.... And of course they are always right. If you don't believe me then just ask them.... They'll gladly tell you how you are wrong and they are right....

Me myself I'm at the point where I could care less anymore. It's just gotten really old. :down:

Before we drift out too far, like a glowing one on a raft, the point about free market magic in the context of paid mods was that people are not forced at gunpoint to buy something. The price of a mod will regulate itself by the quality of other mods around it. If you pay 20€ for Far harbor, and a mod creates a mini quest with content that is far smaller than far harbor, then that mod won't sell very well. The price will adjust itself to something the seller and the buy agree on. And that is free market magic. There is no Margret Thatcher fking up the modder's union. We can argue all day about the negatives of a free market but most or all of these factors do not apply in the situation of paid mods for Fallout4.

Yeah can we not turn this thread into a "free market" style debate?

There is literally no real way to apply this logic, in any form, to the developing situation here.

There is no supply for mods for starters, there is also is no competition. Bethesda would, presumably, try to lock down a modding market through IP laws (whether or not they would be able to is another question altogether). So yeah comparing paid mods to the "free market" is reaching to say the least.

Back on topic I think the OP kind of has a point. Even supporters of beth.net in this thread have to agree the website design is an utter disgrace and bethesda has shown little to no interest in improving it. You essentially have three options that I can see, boycott or lawsuit in attempt to pressure bethesda into making some fixes or sit back and do nothing while authors get their work stolen and the modding scene gets less and less active as people leave.