Boycott Beth.net

Mitigate

Selling out is opting for profit rather than keeping the soul together. In this case, the community.

At this point I suppose donating means nothing? Those who donate can get shafted? Thanks for the cash, sucker?

Donating to a mod author doesn't make you special in any way, shape, or form.

It makes you a person who chose to do the right thing.

That's your choice. Still entitles you to nothing, not even a thanks or a mention.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selling out is opting for profit rather than keeping the soul together. In this case, the community.

At this point I suppose donating means nothing? Those who donate can get shafted? Thanks for the cash, sucker?

Donating to a mod author doesn't make you special in any way, shape, or form.

It makes you a person who chose to do the right thing.

That's your choice. Still entitles you to nothing, not even a thanks or a mention.

Of course, but... s***, am I the only one with a shred of decency here? When I donate, I don't do it for praise, I do it for the community. To show my gratitude to mod authors and to do my part in keeping something good together. That's all I want. Modding and the Nexus to keep going as it has been. Isn't it all about making what we love better? Not getting 5 cents of the Dollar which is all Bethesda will give you.

Edited by Mitigate

I know Reneer, I also know that it wouldn't be as easy if Bethesda hadn't set the game up to be moddable in the first place. It was just a technical correction of a mistake in the post I was responding too, rather than outright disagreement on principle.

Sorry, I can get hung up on irrelevant things sometimes. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

Sorry if I came off as harsh. :sad:

^ This.

Of course, but... s***, am I the only one with a shred of decency here? When I donate, I don't do it for praise, I do it for the community. To show my gratitude to mod authors and to do my part in keeping something good, going.

That still doesn't give you any authority over me or what I do with my work. As I wrote earlier, if you donating to me required me to change my ways or do something different I'd tell you to keep your money. Edited by Reneer

Nothing bethesda.net is offering is superior in any way to the Nexus. I don't understand this madness.

Nobody said it was either. You're assuming an awful lot of wrong things from what people are telling you.

This is very simple. Bethesda.net is an alternate location to have mods hosted. There are appreciative people using said service to get their mods either because they don't know about Nexus or cannot access Nexus for one reason or another. I have no issue with providing them the alternate channel. There is no madness involved. It was a fully informed decision on my part to do it.

And as far as console mods, all the people running around playing the PC Master Race card are just making the PC modding community look like a bunch of stuck up playground brats. I for one think it's great that they're finally able to enjoy the same things we've had available to us for years. Someone at some point was going to offer that to them and Microsoft and Sony were going to give in and allow it. IMO, better to have that someone be Bethesda than some other company with a far less moddable game system that requires a bunch of crazy hoops to jump through to even make it work. In fact, I'd wager it isn't likely most other moddable PC games could even be adapted for modding on consoles without some major engine restructuring.

Nothing bethesda.net is offering is superior in any way to the Nexus. I don't understand this madness.

Nobody said it was either. You're assuming an awful lot of wrong things from what people are telling you.

This is very simple. Bethesda.net is an alternate location to have mods hosted. There are appreciative people using said service to get their mods either because they don't know about Nexus or cannot access Nexus for one reason or another. I have no issue with providing them the alternate channel. There is no madness involved. It was a fully informed decision on my part to do it.

And as far as console mods, all the people running around playing the PC Master Race card are just making the PC modding community look like a bunch of stuck up playground brats. I for one think it's great that they're finally able to enjoy the same things we've had available to us for years. Someone at some point was going to offer that to them and Microsoft and Sony were going to give in and allow it. IMO, better to have that someone be Bethesda than some other company with a far less moddable game system that requires a bunch of crazy hoops to jump through to even make it work. In fact, I'd wager it isn't likely most other moddable PC games could even be adapted for modding on consoles without some major engine restructuring.

But they CAN'T enjoy what we do! Their consoles would explode if they tried even 2k texture mods... They can't have DynDOLOD, ENB, RCRN or anything that makes my game beautiful.

Beth.net is an inferior platform for uploading and downloading mods. So why use it?

I wish you could sell your work on the Nexus Arthmoor, I really do. I'm not against you making money for modding. But the only way you can is by going Beth exclusive (when they finally announce it) and shafting everyone who relies on your work here. And you wont even get that much once Bethesda takes their cut. Would it really be worth it? Bethesda.net is another uPlay in the making.

Edited by Mitigate

But they CAN'T enjoy what we do! Their consoles would explode if they tried even 2k texture mods... They can't have DynDOLOD, ENB, RCRN or anything that makes my game beautiful.

Beth.net is an inferior platform for uploading and downloading mods. So why use it?

I wish you could sell your work on the Nexus Arthmoor, I really do. But the only way you can get paid for your work is by going Beth exclusive (when they finally announce it) and shafting everyone who relies on your work here. And you wont even get that much once Bethesda takes their cut. Would it really be worth it?

!

Are you alright? I discuss with console users plenty of times, they not only enjoy the extra content, they're having a blast with it. So what if they can't have the ultimate 4k stuff? What, do you actually believe all PC users here have latest in tech and can run it at 60fps stable with 200 mods at once and 4k textures? I think you need to take a bit of a reality walk cause you're walking the plank of imagination and it will vanish under your feet.

I don't think it's fair to say that Arthmoor is shafting anyone if he chooses to stop giving away ridiculous amounts of his time for free to help other people with the work he creates.

I think he's getting a bit shafted if his work is that much taken for granted.

Sorry if I came off as harsh. :sad:

It's all good, I can see how my comment could be misconstrued.

I don't think it's fair to say that Arthmoor is shafting anyone if he chooses to stop giving away ridiculous amounts of his time for free to help other people with the work he creates.

I think he's getting a bit shafted if his work is that much taken for granted.

Don't assume I am one of those people taking it for granted. Why else would I bother with this discussion if his and other's work didn't mean a lot to me?

Skyrim was nothing but a cool concept before Arthmoor got hold of it and turned it into a playable game. That fact wont change regardless of how this discussion ends.

Edited by Mitigate

Well. Strangely enough, Bethesda seems to have heard you there. Hence, Skyrim Special Edition. Frankly there will be less of a need for a mountain of 2K texture packs, ENB, RCRN, etc if the graphics are as good as they looked in the preview videos.

That said, the console users are currently enjoying the hell out of what we CAN offer them right now for Fallout 4. Including the UFO4P which has fixed a number of bugs in the game that they otherwise wouldn't have had fixed. I honestly don't see it as ethical to withhold that from them on the basis of elitism, which is all you're promoting here.

I wish you could sell your work on the Nexus Arthmoor, I really do. I'm not against you making money for modding. But the only way you can is by going Beth exclusive (when they finally announce it) and shafting everyone who relies on your work here. And you wont even get that much once Bethesda takes their cut. Would it really be worth it? Bethesda.net is another uPlay in the making.

Shafting everyone here? Exactly how would that happen?

As far as not getting much, getting 50% of something sure beats the hell out of the 0% of nothing I'm currently able to price mods at. So yes, it would be very much worth putting paid mods on Bethesda's service.

No, they are not another uPlay in the making. I don't even know where you're getting that from. IF you're upset that they've decided to strike out on their own with their own digital distribution system (assuming they go all in at some point) then maybe you should ask yourself why so many companies are doing this and giving Valve the finger in the process. Cause I'll bet you there's some common thing they're all turning against if they're all fragmenting off into their own platforms.

Consider though that Bethesda is SLOWLY embracing GoG as another platform. They stuck Morrowind, Battlespire, and Redguard over there. It's been nothing but a huge positive for them and there's evidence in the GoG API that they're planning to push Oblivion and New Vegas over there soon too. That's hardly the actions of another Ubisoft empire being built.