Photo

[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

weapons weapon mods wip

• Please log in to reply
2227 replies to this topic

antistar

antistar

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,280 posts
Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

The world you knew has gone mad. Not the guns, though; they're just as you remember them.

Well... it would be nice to say that, but Fallout 4 features firearms that are mostly made-up; not based on real-world weapons. "Fantasy Firearms", I call them. I generally like the way they look aesthetically... but they don't make much sense as actual firearms. Many are comically over-sized. Some have lots of excess junk on them that doesn't do anything, while others lack the detail required to convince as weapons rather than toys. In short, I prefer the approach Obsidian took to firearms in Fallout New Vegas: they're mostly based on real-world weapons.

Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS) adds a range of new real-world weapons to Fallout 4. Some of them replace those vanilla fantasy firearms, while others are purely new additions and meant to complement the somewhat sparse arsenal of firearms in the base game. Not all vanilla firearms are replaced. Only some of the "Guns" - no Energy weapons are replaced.

However the lacklustre firearms are just the most obvious, most visible face on a deeper issue in Fallout 4. Its combat mechanics overall are somewhat simplistic; more "arcade-shooter video-game" than "immersive sim". It seems like Borderlands was a strong influence on combat design in Fallout 4 - and I like Borderlands too! However I prefer STALKER... and Fallout New Vegas.

So while WARS starts by replacing existing weapons and adding new ones, it doesn't end there. It also overhauls weapon behaviour and combat mechanics generally, aiming to create a more interesting, believable, consistent and immersive combat and survival experience in Fallout 4. See the Mod Features section below for more details on exactly what WARS does.

Just to be up-front, however; WARS is an overhaul, and I don't use that term lightly. It's designed to make far-reaching changes to weapons and combat in FO4. Existing mods that add new weapons will usually require a compatibility patch to play nicely with WARS.

Note that WARS has a sister mod in Project Extend And Change Everything (PEACE). WAR(S) and PEACE, you see? Where WARS is an overhaul targeting Fallout 4's weaponry and combat mechanics, PEACE is an overhaul targeting everything else that I think needed attention. The two mods can be used separately, but they are designed to be used together.

WARS is built on the hard work of a number of people (i.e. it uses several modder's resources), but with additional work on these assets to hopefully maintain a high level of quality and consistency across the mod. I'm also incorporating my own from-scratch assets into WARS as needed. Additionally, Hitman47101 is kindly contributing animations for the weapons in this mod, which I'm pretty excited about.

Here's the all-important list of weapons I'm aiming to include in WARS:

Rough Weapon List
(More detail in second post)

Spoiler

Downloads

Thompson SMG Replacer
Download: Thompson SMG Replacer

WARS itself may not be available yet, but TSR features the Thompson SMG as a replacer for the vanilla SMG, split off into a standalone mod.

Screenshots and Videos

Spoiler

Edited by antistar, 22 August 2020 - 07:20 AM.

antistar

antistar

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,280 posts
FAQ

Spoiler

Planned Mod Features
(Subject to change. Gradually superseded by exhaustive list of mod features, below.)

Spoiler

The Weapons

Spoiler

Mod Features (Exhaustive)
(List of already implemented changes and additions, copied from draft readme for WARS. Updated occasionally.)

Spoiler

Commentary

Spoiler

An interview with me went up on Bethesda.net on 22-06-20, covering my mods generally but also touching on WARS and PEACE:

- Monthly Modder: Antistar
--- Part 1
--- Part 2

Edited by antistar, 23 June 2020 - 06:03 AM.

antistar

antistar

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,280 posts

Alright, hey everyone. I originally posted this WIP thread a few weeks ago, over on the new Bethesda.net forums. It's been a habit of mine for a while now (e.g. WMX, Clockwork) to post WIP threads on the official Bethsoft forums, so I decided to give the new beta forums a chance and did the same thing with WARS. However... there's very little activity there, and while the forum software they've got now is an improvement over the absolutely awful "old new" forum software, it's still not great to use.

So it's past time I just posted the WARS WIP thread here instead! For a while there I (frustratingly) didn't have much time to work on WARS as I was insanely busy moving house. On top of that, the Skyrim Special Edition came out so I wanted to port Clockwork and get that out of the way.

I'm back on WARS now though, thankfully. Here's what I've done recently; a Beta C-Mag for the AR-15 and Mini-14:

- Beta C-Mag 01
- Beta C-Mag 02
- Beta C-Mag 03

Just screenshots of it in Substance Painter there. This was done from scratch, though I used this (very) old model by Twinke Masta as a reference for its dimensions. I kind of had to, as I'd used that model as a placeholder so that Hitman could do the animations for it.

Speaking of which, if you haven't seen them already, Hitman has been posting some videos of what he's been doing for WARS on his channel, so check them out. Notably there's the AR-15 and Mini-14. (Note that those are only placeholder textures in the videos.)

Next up, I'll be continuing work on the AR-15.

genolune

genolune

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,087 posts

I liked Clockwork a lot as well as your Dragonskin Tactical Outfit for New Vegas and of course the Weapon Mods Extended.  Thanks for everything you do!

PyroDarknessPanda

PyroDarknessPanda

Professionaly Insane Pyromanic

• Premium Member
  • 1,037 posts

Love pretty much everything minus the NPC ammo part wouldn't that create incompatibles with anything that added new npcs? 

antistar

antistar

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,280 posts

Thanks guys.

Love pretty much everything minus the NPC ammo part wouldn't that create incompatibles with anything that added new npcs? 

That might depend on how such a mod is set up, and on however I need to set it up in the end. If I'm just editing existing levelled lists, and the other mod is just using existing levelled lists, it'd be fine.

I did mention that incompatibilities would be likely in my commentary there, though. It's sort of par for the course with big overhauls. ;)

genolune

genolune

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,087 posts

Do you plan to ever do something like Clockwork for Fallout 4?  Of particular note, I really liked your storyline for the Gilded which had me curious from the get-go (minus the Courier interrupting my first encounter with them).

Anyways, let me stop derailing the thread, what's your opinion on these:

a) Should lasers be silenced?  I wouldn't think they would make much noise.

b) Should lasers have recoil?  Other than slight vibrations in the machine, light doesn't produce a gas blowback that causes recoil.

c) Accuracy.  Since it's a beam of light it should just go straight forward from the emitter, unless you use projectiles like plasma weaponry or MikeMoore's new AEAR-1.

Athanasa

Athanasa

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
May I make a suggestion?

Change the names of the weapons slightly. The Fallout universe has many parallels to real life companies.

For example, Kalashnikov might become Lashanikov. It sounds similar enough that we ask know what it is, but its different enough that it fits with the Fallout alternate universe.

Puns are especially good. Also figuring out the references makes players feel smart.

antistar

antistar

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,280 posts

Do you plan to ever do something like Clockwork for Fallout 4?  Of particular note, I really liked your storyline for the Gilded which had me curious from the get-go (minus the Courier interrupting my first encounter with them).

Anyways, let me stop derailing the thread, what's your opinion on these:

a) Should lasers be silenced?  I wouldn't think they would make much noise.

b) Should lasers have recoil?  Other than slight vibrations in the machine, light doesn't produce a gas blowback that causes recoil.

c) Accuracy.  Since it's a beam of light it should just go straight forward from the emitter, unless you use projectiles like plasma weaponry or MikeMoore's new AEAR-1.

Clockwork is the most difficult, ambitious, complicated and time-consuming thing I have ever done - and if I ever try to do anything like it again it will mean that I have actually gone insane. It took nearly five years to make, and that is Far Too Long.

a) I was actually watching an LP of Factorio recently where they were talking about that (in relation to a mod that changed the laser turrets in that game), and they said some interesting things. Apparently a sufficiently powerful laser beam will make a noise like thunder - for the same reasons lightning produces thunder.

b) Probably not, but I suppose you could try to explain it away as the result of moving parts in a cooling system... or something.

c) Well there's the accuracy of the weapon and then the accuracy of the person using the weapon. Right now I don't know if FO4 handles those things separately. (If anyone does know, er... let me know.)

May I make a suggestion?

Change the names of the weapons slightly. The Fallout universe has many parallels to real life companies.

For example, Kalashnikov might become Lashanikov. It sounds similar enough that we ask know what it is, but its different enough that it fits with the Fallout alternate universe.

Puns are especially good. Also figuring out the references makes players feel smart.

Probably not, sorry. Part of the idea behind WARS is to go closer to the real world, rather than further away from it.

That said, I'm not planning to absolutely go ham in that area and use real-world brand names for specific after-market gun parts, or anything. I want to use common (but descriptive) names for things as much as possible - like "AR-15", for example.

gamefever

gamefever

Resident poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,002 posts

@ Antistar

I used both of your WMX mods first when playing Fallout 3 with Fallout Wasteland Wanderer.  Then with Project Nevada used your weapon mods alongside that.

Fallout 4...

Legendary Weapon Prefix, 

Don't like it, hides the fact that the weapons were not well designed in the first place stat wise.

There are too many weapons that are just trash weapons.

Trash Weapons (greatest trash to least trash)

Mini-gun, submachinegun, double barrel shotgun, combat shotgun, and pipepistol (this last one of course should be sorta trash).

Shotguns,

Range Falloff is too severe and damage is underwhelming, these weapons are ingrained into the minds of gamers to be "close combat" but the fact is that's not entirely true in RL plus in game I would be better off using a melee weapon in every single case.  Since this weapon seems to only be effective at 6 feet it becomes the worst choice of weapon due to so many other better alternatives in the Close Combat Melee weapon category, which are more effective, weigh less, and have no need for ammo like shotguns do.  Of course some gamers think hey that's great I don't need to pump melee skills....Thing is Shotguns plus ammo weighs a whole heck of a lot like 10-20 pounds of carry weight compared to 4 pounds carrying around a melee weapon for close quarters in buildings.

Submachinegun,

What can I say....Its absolute garbage and if it was the only weapon I had I would be better off either using my fists or running away the damage is so bad.

Mini-Gun,

This is a weapon that relies entirely on the player using drugs to make it worthwhile to use...Or getting Legendary Prefix...This is clearly poor game balance.

Basically due to the fault of how DR works in the game...Player will do 2 damage per bullet outside of that you have your crits and your other modifiers for hedge case legendary effects.  Basically the whole reason why the weapon appears to work is due to ROF....We should all know that is why it takes 100-200 rounds to kill a raider.

Of course I could take drugs for magical crit chance increases, but that drug is rare and not commonly available either.

I would hate to see 10mm and pipe weapons disappear from the game via mod.

Sorry if this spew of thought here is not what your looking for....

Of course I would try out your weapon mod.

Edited by gamefever, 26 November 2016 - 09:28 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weapons, weapon mods, wip

Page loaded in: 1.152 seconds