MDB to FBX, FBX to MDB converter

FreshLook

I have added bone scaling to the tool. GR2 format has a range of encodings for animation curves. The tool supports the encodings used in Kalister's frog and sphincter. If I find another encoding in the future, I will add it.

Kalister's frog also uses bone shear. FBX doesn't support bone shear. I'm ignoring bone shear when converting GR2 to FBX. I don't think that's a important feature: Blender doesn't support it either and I think the same effect can be achieved with the proper translations, rotations and scaling.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you find a way to use IK(inverse kinematics) on the bones?

Because its very hard animate something without it

I don't know much about animation, but Blender supports IK and I suppose other programs too. When Blender exports to FBX it bakes the animation. My tool will convert FBX to GR2 without problem.

FreshLook tool doesn't do the animations, it just converts the fbx to gr2 and vice-versa. But just doing that is a major achievement!

In other words: you can import NWN2 animations with the tool, then modify them as you wish (Blender and 3ds max do use IK), and export the new animation, also with FreshLook's soft.

Ok, more news

I made a advanced riiging(using 3ds max 2016) with controllers, atributes and Ik/FK, for my suprise everything works perfect in the nwn2, so even in the 0.2 version the software are complete to create animations using the skeleton of the nwn2.

So, FreshLook, I will say this again you save the community man, good work and cheers

EDIT: I notice some problems with the nw2fbx, If I put all the sleketon parts to convert(body, wings/cape and tail) the program works ok, and the bones are ok when imported, but If I poot all the skeleton parts and some MDB the sotware(nw2fbx) crashes

Edited by jutaro

Ok, more news

I made a advanced riiging(using 3ds max 2016) with controllers, atributes and Ik/FK, for my suprise everything works perfect in the nwn2, so even in the 0.2 version the software are complete to create animations using the skeleton of the nwn2.

So, FreshLook, I will say this again you save the community man, good work and cheers

EDIT: I notice some problems with the nw2fbx, If I put all the sleketon parts to convert(body, wings/cape and tail) the program works ok, and the bones are ok when imported, but If I poot all the skeleton parts and some MDB the sotware(nw2fbx) crashes

Thank you. Very excited about what you did.

I have investigated and reproduced the crash. It happens because it tries to link the MDB to the wrong skeleton, the code doesn't handle this right and crashes. For example, you pass P_HHM_skel.GR2, P_HHMtail_skel.GR2, P_HHMcapewing_skel.GR2 and P_HHM_NK_Body01.MDB. The tool tries to link the model to the first skeleton it finds and it found the tail or capewing skeleton. I have to find a way to detect what is the right skeleton for a model. There is a workaround, though:

1. Convert P_HHM_NK_Body01.MDB + P_HHM_skel.GR2. The tool will link the model to the right skeleton because that's the only one passed.
  2. Import FBX.
  3. Convert P_HHMtail_skel.GR2 + P_HHMcapewing_skel.GR2.
  4. Import FBX and then you have all the pieces together.

out of curiosity: why did you go for fbx in conjunction with blender? is it a data format you know in detail? are there any features only fbx supports? specifically i am asking because collada seems the "wiser" choice, being an open format and being supported by almost every dcc tool around. to my knowledge to get full feature support fbx has to be licensed from autodesk, and was only reverse engineered to get an addon running in blender.

Edited by Semp3r