[RANT] Growing entitlement of the Modding Community?

Hyperplexed

If you feel you need money to mod you should be off getting a job.

If you need money, and you are presented with an opportunity to make a little bit of money by doing something that you already love to do, then you would be foolish not to take advantage of the situation.

If you feel you deserve quality mod you should be off buying a new game.

If you want something better or different from what's available in a mod, than you should learn how to mod and do it your self.

snip

Yes cause there is nothing wrong with 3$ horse armor right?

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-fallout-4-creation-club-goes-live-with-3-horse-armor/

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/horse-armor

To quote a comments from pc gamer comments section at least the clean ones I can.

"At least then we'll be able to sort out the sellout modders from the actual good ones."

"Wow, it's like I fell into an alternate Universe sometime in early 2016, and I still haven't escaped, Horse Armor, of all things, are they irony impaired, or am I just living in a crazy new upside down reality."

Actually there is nothing wrong with $3 horse armor. People can buy it or not buy it. The world is full of products that I have no interest in or would never spend the money being asked. That's not a problem, as long as it's my money and I call the shots. So no problem, just reality of the Free Market economy.

The culture of modding seems to be changing. A few years ago, during the original paid mods debacle, many content creators absolutely refused to take part and any who did take part were largely ridiculed. Some of those same authors are now part of the Creation Club -snip

In the past couple of years there has been much discussion among content creators which has led to a greater understanding of where each side is coming from. The battle lines are still drawn, but at least now there is a better understanding of what the numbers are on each side. When you realize that what you thought was a tiny minority of authors who supported the idea of paid modding, is in fact a much larger in number, that tends to change the way people talk to each other.

You made a good post and I enjoyed reading it, so thank you for that.

The culture of modding seems to be changing. A few years ago, during the original paid mods debacle, many content creators absolutely refused to take part and any who did take part were largely ridiculed. Some of those same authors are now part of the Creation Club -snip

In the past couple of years there has been much discussion among content creators which has led to a greater understanding of where each side is coming from. The battle lines are still drawn, but at least now there is a better understanding of what the numbers are on each side. When you realize that what you thought was a tiny minority of authors who supported the idea of paid modding, is in fact a much larger in number, that tends to change the way people talk to each other.

IMO popularity has nothing to do with it. The world will never have a shortage of people who're willing to capitalize on other people's work, it doesn't change the fact that paid mods from anyone other than the game publisher amounts to sponging.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The new Skyrim doesn't run any better than the original, even on a modern PC. The simple solution is to just play the original game, modded, if you want SKSE.

This is factually incorrect. It’s probably just the case that you haven’t noticed any difference. You can have many more actors in the same cell as the player in SE than you could with LE. Perhaps you’ve forgotten about or don’t know about LE’s appalling memory management that Sheson’s memory patch fixed (included in SKSE). SE has also eliminated z-fighting. Those are just two examples. There’s others.

• 2 years later...

it is an old threat but i had a disturbing personal dicussion with another mod author and nexusmods member which may have something to do with the topic.

maybe my complains i describe here are unreasonable.

there are also some strange threads regarding creation club in connection with some mod autors i can not classify because i've never had a focus on this topic. and i try to ignore cc.

without any direct context i found me in a discussion where i had to defend myself because i complained about the fact that the cc with it's updates leaded sometimes since 2017 to the uncomfortable situation that i had to roll back my setup to be able to play my fo4 or skysim se / fo4 game with skse and my nexusmods mods.

in short words this well known mod author told me in an unusual agressive or dominating way that cc ist a good platform and i am an edge case with my problems and complaining about cc ist like trolling and all what is written about this topic on reddit and many other gamer sites is bulls**t and all these people are spreading fake news or are trolls.

because i was quite surpised and irritated of the aggressiveness of this mod author, also often posting here on nexus in the forums, this happening made me curious and i had a pm based discussion with him on this topic.

the discussion ended with the result, that i found out that he completely ignored my problems i had since bethesda introduced the cc in 2017. i told him that skse and many dependent mods so often did not run and so on.

while competely ignoring my problems he told me everything works perfect with cc and why i'm trolling him and about the cc. (???)

i told him that i was never interested in paymods and the cc and that i was never asked if i want this kind of expansion as an integration in a game leading to a sitation since 2017 that my game got more than once unstable after some (for me needless) ) cc updates and that i did not found it amusing.

some other users and and threads helped me in the meantime to solve the cc related problems with game stability by delaying updates. i'm very thankfull for that!

in the end this mod author competely ignored the problems existing related to the cc updates and seriously tried to tell me that i'm just a misguided edge case and all people posting critically about the cc are trolls or do not know what they write.

so my two questions:

are my complains about cc and not working skse and related mods really so erroneous ?

and is this cc really worth to pay for the mods compared to free nexusmods content ?

You have to consider the source. That particular author seems to think that beth can do no wrong, and he will defend pretty much anything they do, regardless of how stupid it is, or inconvenient for players. He fully believes that he is the only person that can possibly be right, and if you don't agree with him, he will resort to denigrating your intelligence, or various other subtle (or not so subtle) insults. Standard procedure for him. He can make a completely fallacious statement, that pretty much no one agrees with, but, he will defend his opinion to be the only correct one, till the end of time. He cannot possibly EVER be wrong. Arguing with him is pretty much a waste of time. It doesn't matter what you say, he will discount it, or ignore it completely. He is RIGHT! after all........ Hi is the FIRST person that made it to my ignore list, though I still do engage with him on occasion...... Generally much to my regret.

i guess you know who i'm taling about even if it is my first priority not to spread or talk about a special person here. thank you for not using a name. i do not want to act in any way personally or offensive but the fact that someone on nexus prays to todd howard like he is a god and who praises the cc as the best it could happen to mankind was quite irritating for me and a fully new and disturbing experience.

if people like cc in gods name they can usit but why am i a troll if i compain about cc generated instabilities of my game ? and if i watch the internet why do i find thoundsands of other post complaining about the same problems ? all these posts are existing just to troll the cc ?

and why has a cc to be an integral part of the game instead of an optional part to avoid that people who do not use or need it do not have to suffer from the negative effects introduced (like skse fail or a full disk with trash)?

I agree with you. Beth's implementation of CC content is terrible. Some of the content actually is the root cause of games crashing. So far as I know, beth hasn't fixed any of that either.

The idea that if I don't accept updates that do absolutely nothing for me, do not fix any bugs, or improve game stability, that makes me a 'troll', or 'hater', is mind boggling. I do NOT allow my game to update at beths whim, because they are notorious for putting out broken content. I prefer to let the patches 'stew' for a while, to see what, if any, new problems they have introduced, before I will update my game, at MY convenience. Not Beths. Certainly not for content I don't use.