Sword Request Competition

jaysus

there is at least an anti-vibro baseball bat... :P

but ya totally agree on oversized weapons in anime... its annoying... i think they should concentrate on drawing panties instead lol

btw katanas aint that cool... i still adore them alot but they are definately not what we think they are... the very fine cutting ones were made in a time of peace where they only had to cut cloth... the ones from lets say the mongolian invasion were alot thicker and sturdier but over centuries they were polished and polished until they became what we know today... and noone could tell me that a guy with a katana would win a fight over a guy with a rapier and a defense dagger... neither is better... depends on the skill as usual...

i also doubt that a scimitar could actually penetrate plate armor... not even chain... it could prolly chop a leather harness including an arm off but plate? no way... wouldnt wanna test it tho lol but since the blade is also cuved i really doubt its thought to cut through metal... its a slicing weapon like most sabers just with a lil more force behind it :)

so enough small talk start drawing!

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there is at least an anti-vibro baseball bat... :P

but ya totally agree on oversized weapons in anime... its annoying... i think they should concentrate on drawing panties instead lol

btw katanas aint that cool... i still adore them alot but they are definately not what we think they are... the very fine cutting ones were made in a time of peace where they only had to cut cloth... the ones from lets say the mongolian invasion were alot thicker and sturdier but over centuries they were polished and polished until they became what we know today... and noone could tell me that a guy with a katana would win a fight over a guy with a rapier and a defense dagger... neither is better... depends on the skill as usual...

i also doubt that a scimitar could actually penetrate plate armor... not even chain... it could prolly chop a leather harness including an arm off but plate? no way... wouldnt wanna test it tho lol but since the blade is also cuved i really doubt its thought to cut through metal... its a slicing weapon like most sabers just with a lil more force behind it :)

so enough small talk start drawing!

In WWII the Katana was used be the (you guess it) japanese as a last resort weapon, American documents have many records of the Japanese runing up to a 50. cal machine gun and cutting them in half, Need i also remind you, the american 50 .cal machine gun was 1.5 inches thick with a 1/16 of an inch plate muzzle guard.

dont tell me just drew that :/

only original designs! no screenshots of somebodies elses designs as that would need a licence anyway... sigh...

i did mate hahaha sort of with my hands and a keybored savvy?

Jack Sparrow

nice sword :) (tho i think i had just seen one like that a few hours ago on a german page... maybe ill find it again)

@katana

sure if you believe all the funky stuff in american ww2 documents sure lol... .

well ive seen a timelapse short of a bullet being sliced in two but cutting a barrel is somin else.. for real its an urban myth... often discussed and always unprooven... apart from the strength needed to move one piece of metal through another is just too much force needed to apply for a human not to speak of the blade... :ninja:

Ok this sword drawing is really ticking me off, this might be a while. I'm a perfectionast when it comes to my drawings, and I have to make every detail perfect.

nice sword :) (tho i think i had just seen one like that a few hours ago on a german page... maybe ill find it again)

@katana

sure if you believe all the funky stuff in american ww2 documents sure lol... .

well ive seen a timelapse short of a bullet being sliced in two but cutting a barrel is somin else.. for real its an urban myth... often discussed and always unprooven... apart from the strength needed to move one piece of metal through another is just too much force needed to apply for a human not to speak of the blade... :ninja:

No one said they cut it cold steel to cold steel, it only happened when the barrel was hot... But still pretty impresive...

Since the thread title says "design a sword..." I'll say one last thing about... design

The common straight blade is meant to stab or impact in the edge, someway is a bit more than bludgeoning at this. But anyone that gives some attention to this would ask: Why curved?

The answer is found in careful observation and physics knowing... such weapons are meant to "slice" literally, it doesn't just rely on the impact... the blade slides following the movement, effectively cutting the target. A well constructed katana, made with a steel that just in modern times can be equaled, by a knowing smith; really can bypass even a metallic cuirass of inferior quality... let alone flesh and bones. Mind you such weapons with this impressive steel quality and sharpness are known since feudal Japan. Strangely a cuirass made from several layers of different materials including wood, like the Japanese models are better to stop it than a relatively thinest metallic one.

Edit: the scimitar follows similar principles, and since they were meant to really face armored knights the reason to sacrifice something for a bit more of that punch, mentioned before.

Archived