DANGER: DO NOT INSTALL VORTEX IF YOUR C: DRIVE IS SMALL

dfalk57

-OR- you could've been cognizant of how computers work, and selected a different drive during the install.

I would do that except that it doesn't offer an install choice. It just installs on the C: automatically. If there is an option to store (deploy?) the mods on a different drive, I don't know where that is. I also get a 'no deployment method available' notice, whatever that means. It does detect Skyrim SE, Fallout NV, and Fallout 4 on my D: drive correctly, but then says there are no games that are compatible with Vortex. Those tabs show Discovered (3) Supported (0). Then it asked me if I wanted to migrate the mods to Vortex from NMM, (apparently for the games it says are not compatible but in fact are) and it tried to copy all the files to the C: where they will not fit.

You had an install choice before you even downloaded Vortex...

01efcad16e7131a6f18f8257e63754af.jpg

Please note that you'll only install the actual executables on a different drive this way. The Vortex' database and config files (NOT the actual mods) are ALWAYS stored in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Vortex. There's no way to change that.

Having said that, Vortex just uses a couple of 100 MB in there (as Tannin said) as long as you make sure that the Mods are installed somewhere else in the settings dialog.

Installing Vortex on another disk doesn't help anything, by the way. It doesn't work any better that way, it only uses a little bit less space on C: and it doesn't auto-update anymore. So it's just not advised.

And finally: Having C:\ that cramped that the Vortex' database doesn't fit there anymore is a very bad choice of hard disk space distribution. C:\ must never be full. There should always 30-50 GB of free space at least on C:

The Vortex' database and config files (NOT the actual mods) are ALWAYS stored in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Vortex. There's no way to change that.

Now that is annoying and I wasn't aware of that. Even NMM let you store everything including its config files on a separate drive.

Installing Vortex on another disk doesn't help anything, by the way. It doesn't work any better that way,

It does if you want to keep things as portable as possible especially if you need to reinstall Windows every now and then, Vortex and its folders will still be where it always was on the D:\ drive. Apart from its config files which I'll have to backup separately from now on. :s

it doesn't auto-update anymore. So it's just not advised.

Its always updated fine whilst being on the other drive for me, unless something changed with the last update.

I've never tried to install it on another drive, but on the download of the alternative Vortex installer, it explicitly states that the auto-update doesn't work unless it's installed in the default directory.

Vortex is not meant as a "portable" installation. As most other programs around, it stores its configuration in the default directories of the user profile. If you reinstall Windows, you should always preserve your profile as well, at least everything under AppData, unless you want to lose about every tool's configuration.

You had an install choice before you even downloaded Vortex...

Ay Caramba!

Yes, I was always using the custom installer, but I should have clarified that it doesn't see the D: drive for install, although it does see it when detecting games (and then indicates they aren't compatible but actually are). I'm not sure I see any advantages to Vortex over NMM.

Yes, I was always using the custom installer, but I should have clarified that it doesn't see the D: drive for install, although it does see it when detecting games (and then indicates they aren't compatible but actually are). I'm not sure I see any advantages to Vortex over NMM.

My current Vortex install is D:\Games\Vortex

Perhaps there's a problem with your D drive, the advantages of Vortex over NMM, are things like dealing with Conflicts, Vortex informs you there's a conflict, also, you can experiment with file conflicts by moving one mod above or below the other, without having to worry about manually reinstalling a mod to re-write any overwritten files, instead Vortex will restore them for you, it tracks all the files for you, and restores and writes them without you having to manually deal with them

Not only did I select my E: drive during install, not only did I select my E: drive for download and mod storage in Vortex settings, and I even moved my computers libraries and roaming folders to my E:, because I found out you can do that in their properties, and I'm still losing space on my C: boot drive from Vortex. The mind boggles. And on top of that, it's not deploying Fallout 3 mods properly anyway. I see them in the Fallout 3 directory file paths as if their installed, but no mods are in-game. This program is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. :confused: