Vortex Database corrupted - need to know what to do.

tesoblivor

All the mods that are installed for Skyrim SE are grayed out, as if they are disabled. But if I go into Skyrim SE they are all enabled. This wasn't the case the last time I used Vortex. The mods that are now grayed out, were enabled.

Not only that, but the grayed out mods are the actual file names, not the mod name that was downloaded. The mod name is still there.

I need some help to know what to do to fix the database, and get Vortex managing Skyrim's mods again. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just had a look through and this thread may have the same issue: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6791767-plugins-disabled-automatically/page-2

Have posted a reply with details:-

Just had this happen to me now. All the installed mods are now marked as disabled, but the files are still in the Skyrim SE folder. To boot the grayed out disabled mods are the actual file names for the mod itself. The mod itself that these files are part of is listed as "never installed".

Last action was to download a mod for Fallout 4, which has about 6 file downloads. And one mod for Skyrim SE, which has the one file. I checked the diagnostic files for errors and warnings and none were listed for the last day. Last time I opened up Vortex was last night at about 10pm, and it was fine. It's only when I tried to download some more mods this morning the problem occured.

All the mods that are installed for Skyrim SE are grayed out, as if they are disabled. But if I go into Skyrim SE they are all enabled. This wasn't the case the last time I used Vortex. The mods that are now grayed out, were enabled.

Not only that, but the grayed out mods are the actual file names, not the mod name that was downloaded. The mod name is still there.

I need some help to know what to do to fix the database, and get Vortex managing Skyrim's mods again. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried to purge and then redeploy?

Thanks for reply, Augusta, appreciated. No I've not tried anything, except to get a list of mods that I have installed and backup the Skyrim directory. Is the purge and redeploy a tool within Vortex itself, or just simply deleting the mods from the Skyrim folder and reinstalling them from Vortex?

Thanks for reply, Augusta, appreciated. No I've not tried anything, except to get a list of mods that I have installed and backup the Skyrim directory. Is the purge and redeploy a tool within Vortex itself, or just simply deleting the mods from the Skyrim folder and reinstalling them from Vortex?

Don't worry. Purging and deploying are different processes from uninstalling and installing. Purging does not uninstall your mods. It simply removes the mod hardlinks from the game data folder. These hardlinks are established when you first install, enable, and deploy a mod. When you re-deploy, the hardlinks are re-established. Re-deploying does not reinstall your mods. For further information, please consult the Knowledge Base that can be accessed from your Vortex dashboard.

The "Purge" and "Deploy" buttons are on the mods page taskbar. If you dont't see them there, then go to Vortex settings and turn on "Enable Advanced Mode" and "Deploy Mods when Enabled."

Edit: I incorrectly labelled a Vortex setting. "Deploy Mods when Enabled" is the correct label.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

Don't worry. Purging and deploying are different processes from uninstalling and installing. Purging does not uninstall your mods. It simply removes the mod hardlinks from the game data folder. These hardlinks are established when you first install, enable, and deploy a mod. When you re-deploy, the hardlinks are re-established. Re-deploying does not reinstall your mods. For further information, please consult the Knowledge Base that can be accessed from your Vortex dashboard.

The "Purge" and "Deploy" buttons are on the mods page taskbar. If you dont't see them there, then go to Vortex settings and turn on "Enable Advanced Mode" and "Deploy Mods when Finished."

Thanks Augusta, I will give that a go as soon as I am able :)

The "Purge" and "Deploy" buttons are on the mods page taskbar. If you dont't see them there, then go to Vortex settings and turn on "Enable Advanced Mode" and "Deploy Mods when Enabled."

Edit: I incorrectly labelled a Vortex setting. "Deploy Mods when Enabled" is the correct label.

Hi Augusta just wanted to say thank you for your assistance, it really helped a lot. I did the purge as you suggested, which basically reset the Skyrim SE folder back to a relatively clear state. The Deploy button sadly did not do anything. But, with the disabled files listed alongside their mod entry, it was simply a matter of going through the list to remove the disabled file and then install the mod again.

I'm going to keep a backup of the "\AppData\Roaming\Vortex" directory, so if it happens again hopefully I should simply be able to restore that directory.

Hi Augusta just wanted to say thank you for your assistance, it really helped a lot. I did the purge as you suggested, which basically reset the Skyrim SE folder back to a relatively clear state. The Deploy button sadly did not do anything. But, with the disabled files listed alongside their mod entry, it was simply a matter of going through the list to remove the disabled file and then install the mod again.

I'm going to keep a backup of the "\AppData\Roaming\Vortex" directory, so if it happens again hopefully I should simply be able to restore that directory.

Did you select any of the disabled mod and pick "ENABLE", because Deploy won't do anything until you ENABLE the mod.

Did you select any of the disabled mod and pick "ENABLE", because Deploy won't do anything until you ENABLE the mod.

I didn't sadly. I probably should have to see what would happen. If it had linked the file to mod entry again it would have saved me some work. If it happens again I'll try that first. Thanks for the reply, appreciated :)