New Update and SKSE

AJStoner

I have not much experience with hex editors, 5 minutes as of now, but could one update the 'version check' yourself? I found a related string i think, but most of it is just gibberish. I just wanna know if i am on the right track?

Edit.

And you guys need not to worry if i break stuff, i do realize that there is probably more to it, but i need to start somewhere.

I managed to spot this thread before my game client updated. I'm running Skyrim SE VR and am now curious about mismatches for mods. There was no VR update for SKSE yesterday (March 14th). I do see updates for many of my mods to be compatible with SKSE64 v2.0.14 and v2.0.15. No mention of SKSE VR though. Does anyone know if I should lock down all my Steam and mod updates until there is a new SKSE VR and my mods are updated for that one?

Thanks for the help. It has been so many years since I delved into modding Skyrim. I just got back in 2 weeks ago and the extra VR distinction makes it so much more challenging.

I have not much experience with hex editors, 5 minutes as of now, but could one update the 'version check' yourself? I found a related string i think, but most of it is just gibberish. I just wanna know if i am on the right track?

Edit.

And you guys need not to worry if i break stuff, i do realize that there is probably more to it, but i need to start somewhere.

changing the version number in a hex editor does nothing, i also thought to try this quite a few updates ago just to see, but nah it does not work like that.

Note: For Reference i have a lot of experience with the hexadecimal system and likewise hex editors. :wink:

back in the day i used to make programs that would read from them and write to them (the hexadecimal that is), meaning i needed to understand the hexadecimal system fully.

with that said it would likely be possible to hex edit the version of the executable, but this will not be a text string (as in you will not see the version number in text) it will be at a specific offset.

Edit.

changing the version number in a hex editor does nothing, i also thought to try this quite a few updates ago just to see, but nah it does not work like that.

Note: For Reference i have a lot of experience with the hexadecimal system and likewise hex editors. :wink:

back in the day i used to make programs that would read from them and write to them (the hexadecimal that is), meaning i needed to understand the hexadecimal system fully.

with that said it would likely be possible to hex edit the version of the executable, but this will not be a text string (as in you will not see the version number in text) it will be at a specific offset.

Ahh. Makes sense that it would not be that easy.

Now i have 2 versions of the mod, (the author updated it while i was sleeping), so i'll guess i take the 2 versions and compare them against each other in whatever editors i can find on the internet that can handle dll.

That should be a fun weekend project.

Thanks for the insight you provided.

• 9 months later...

@HadtoRegister: I don't run into these issues since I keep my Steam locked down in Offline Mode. I'm still running 1.5.62 & will continue to do so until SKSE64/the SKSE64 mods I use are updated for the new runtime (1.5.73). As Mebantiza stated, Bethesda needs to find a less disruptive way of deploying their CC updates. Not everyone cares for, let alone uses, CC in any way/shape/form. No need to be rude. Everyone has their own tastes in content & everyone has the right to their opinion regarding CC, which is controversial to say the least. I have my way of dealing with this issue (Steam locked down in Offline Mode) while others deal with it differently. It's called freedom of CHOICE. Lighten up HadtoRegister. Besides, more often than not, more than just the .exe gets updated. In most cases, Bethesda applies updates to the .esms/the BSAs/BA2s in addition to updating the .exe. Good luck launching the game if one has the old .exe with the new .esms/BSAs/BA2s. It simply won't happen & likely CTD on launch. I don't play online games so Offline Mode it is for me.

What?

I wasn't being rude.

I was just letting everybody know that there's an automated backup mod, in case of "Stealth Updates", how you perceived that as being rude is beyond me.

So far, just using the old EXE, for Skyrim SE has worked despite if anything else has been updated.

Since I use SKSE64, I'm not directly running the game anyway, so just using the SKSE64_Loader.exe bypasses the notification to Steam that the game has run, so it never updates for me anyway, as I have it set to only update when the game is run