⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

New Update and SKSE

AJStoner

It's not "excessive" xXxPYR0ST0RMxXx. It's a heck of a lot easier/less time-consuming to lock Steam down in Offline Mode vs compressing one's entire Skyrim SE folder into an archive/backing up the .exe. Besides, it's highly likely more than just the .exe got updated. In most cases, the .esms/BSAs also get updates, meaning if one only has the previous .exe & not the old .esms/BSAs, good luck launching your game. It simply will not happen. Setting Steam to Offline Mode is the fastest surest way to keep Bethesda's paws off your games period. Not trying to be rude but I go for the simplest route to ensure Bethesda keeps their "stealth updates" from ruining my games. Offline Mode is the simplest way to accomplish this.

It's not "excessive" xXxPYR0ST0RMxXx. It's a heck of a lot easier/less time-consuming to lock Steam down in Offline Mode vs compressing one's entire Skyrim SE folder into an archive/backing up the .exe. Besides, it's highly likely more than just the .exe got updated. In most cases, the .esms/BSAs also get updates, meaning if one only has the previous .exe & not the old .esms/BSAs, good luck launching your game. It simply will not happen. Setting Steam to Offline Mode is the fastest surest way to keep Bethesda's paws off your games period. Not trying to be rude but I go for the simplest route to ensure Bethesda keeps their "stealth updates" from ruining my games. Offline Mode is the simplest way to accomplish this.

Fair point, but in my eyes everyone should should always backup their files regardless. :) especially if you like to heaviliy mod the game a lot, backing it up is much quicker then downloading the entire game over and over again, likewise backing up files is much quicker then re-installing windows should a problem arise.

Rule 1 of computing is to accept your files are never safe, which is why backing up files is mandatory, especially due to potentional risks which are beyond your control, such as harddrive failure.

Hi guys. I am new to these forums. I recently purchased a new laptop and installed Skyrim SE, along with SKSE64 and a few mods. However, I did not make a backup of Skyrim files and did not know about needing to do that until today. The only Mods I use are SkyUI and Apocalypse Magic. Are those mods dependant on SKSE64? What are my options and how should I proceed when new Skyrim SE updates come out? Any thoughts and help appreciated :)

You all could avoid this after every single update if you'd just install

"Fallout4.exe Auto Backup" or "SkyrimSE.exe Auto Backup" mod.

The mod automatically backs up your EXE to a folder inside your game directory whenever a steam update happens, so you end up with the previous version of the exe.

Then all you have to do, is rename the NEW exe to something else and copy the old exe from the backup folder and continue to the play the game with your old mods and old SKSE64 or F4SE until F4SE and SKSE64 and the mods that use them are updated.

Of course I failed to back everything up when my SSD crashed on me. Sooooooooo, do we know how quickly the folks behind the skse64 build usually update?

It varies. And then mods that use it vary even more.

I suggest using the commands they're talking about here to get back to yesterday's version and watch your updates page closely for the next month or two:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7476261-does-anyone-have-a-stem-download-depot-code-for-the-previous-version/

(and if you use ECE or Racemenu... the next 6-months or so...)

Edited by Jyotai

@HadtoRegister: I don't run into these issues since I keep my Steam locked down in Offline Mode. I'm still running 1.5.62 & will continue to do so until SKSE64/the SKSE64 mods I use are updated for the new runtime (1.5.73). As Mebantiza stated, Bethesda needs to find a less disruptive way of deploying their CC updates. Not everyone cares for, let alone uses, CC in any way/shape/form. No need to be rude. Everyone has their own tastes in content & everyone has the right to their opinion regarding CC, which is controversial to say the least. I have my way of dealing with this issue (Steam locked down in Offline Mode) while others deal with it differently. It's called freedom of CHOICE. Lighten up HadtoRegister. Besides, more often than not, more than just the .exe gets updated. In most cases, Bethesda applies updates to the .esms/the BSAs/BA2s in addition to updating the .exe. Good luck launching the game if one has the old .exe with the new .esms/BSAs/BA2s. It simply won't happen & likely CTD on launch. I don't play online games so Offline Mode it is for me.