Screenshot Community Event: Win one of three prizes!

BigBizkit

In response to post #68712336.

Fyrcynn wrote: I have a question. The participant entries section says, screenshots must not depict content that would not be permissible to be hosted on Nexus Mods. Does that mean, if an armor mod seen on the picture isn't hosted on Nexus then it's immediately excluded, or only if that mod was made without permission from the original creators? I'm asking because one of the screenshots I'd like to enter has an armor that was later deleted from the uploader's patreon site, because the publisher sent them a cease and desist order to which they complied. Many high quality armors are also only hosted on foreign sites, so it'd be important to clarify to what extent this rule goes.

Mods that are not hosted on our site are absolutely fine to be depicted in screenshots - in general.

If the armour mod was created from assets belonging to another author without permission, then you would not be able to host that armour mod on Nexus Mods - as it would violate our rules. And by extension: you would not be allowed to show that armour in screenshots on our site (that's independent from the screenshot event).

What we would like to avoid is people enquiring about the armour mod you are showing off and users then sharing links to the mod that is essentially violating copyright. I hope you can understand our perspective. I am afraid the short answer is that you could not show that armour on a screenshot you want to submit :/ Edited by BigBizkit

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #68712336. #68712531 is also a reply to the same post.

Fyrcynn wrote: I have a question. The participant entries section says, screenshots must not depict content that would not be permissible to be hosted on Nexus Mods. Does that mean, if an armor mod seen on the picture isn't hosted on Nexus then it's immediately excluded, or only if that mod was made without permission from the original creators? I'm asking because one of the screenshots I'd like to enter has an armor that was later deleted from the uploader's patreon site, because the publisher sent them a cease and desist order to which they complied. Many high quality armors are also only hosted on foreign sites, so it'd be important to clarify to what extent this rule goes.
BigBizkit wrote: Mods that are not hosted on our site are absolutely fine to be depicted in screenshots - in general.

If the armour mod was created from assets belonging to another author without permission, then you would not be able to host that armour mod on Nexus Mods - as it would violate our rules. And by extension: you would not be allowed to show that armour in screenshots on our site (that's independent from the screenshot event).

What we would like to avoid is people enquiring about the armour mod you are showing off and users then sharing links to the mod that is essentially violating copyright. I hope you can understand our perspective. I am afraid the short answer is that you could not show that armour on a screenshot you want to submit :/

Certainly, I also dislike it when modders show off an armor only to say, nope, you're not getting it. I only wished to know if there's a distinction between the two situations, so thank you for the clarification. Edited by Fyrcynn

Very clear, let's see what i can do about it :)

One thing i dislike, though, is post-shot edition. Like modifying things with photoshop. I like to see what people can do with what they have in game only, and sometimes the most simple modded game can provide a quality content in the screenshot. But it is only my opinion of course and i respect those who like to adjust and add things. That's fine.

I really like this kind of event, not for the prize, but for participating and getting involved. Thanks for the opportunity.

Good luck everyone and don't be ashamed to participate, what makes a screenshot good is not how it looks like, its lighting or textures, but what one is able to interpret from it, the feelings the image can bring to the viewer :)

In response to post #68716941.

Di3sIrae wrote: Very clear, let's see what i can do about it :)
One thing i dislike, though, is post-shot edition. Like modifying things with photoshop. I like to see what people can do with what they have in game only, and sometimes the most simple modded game can provide a quality content in the screenshot. But it is only my opinion of course and i respect those who like to adjust and add things. That's fine.

I really like this kind of event, not for the prize, but for participating and getting involved. Thanks for the opportunity.

Good luck everyone and don't be ashamed to participate, what makes a screenshot good is not how it looks like, its lighting or textures, but what one is able to interpret from it, the feelings the image can bring to the viewer :)

Yeah, post -shot editing should not be allowed IMO.

You know, this looks like so much fun, I might just take a break for Oblivion and install Skyrim just to participate in this. Sinitar has made it easy to overhaul the graphics for a quick setup so this might be doable. We'll see.

In response to post #68716941. #68723861 is also a reply to the same post.

olha2 wrote: Yeah, post -shot editing should not be allowed IMO.

I agree. Allowing it completely eliminates any chances of playing from an even field, it's like letting juiced and non juiced athletes competing in the same race. Questions the whole point of having a contest in the first place.
I understand this event is supposed to be an all inclusive one where there's no real winner, but it's a little unfair to those who can't or don't want to soup up their pics with other tools. Factoring in that the screenshot galleries are essentially semi-official popularity contests, those who photoshopped their pictures will get all the attention and approval while leaving others in the dust regardless of how artistic their works actually are. Which can become contraproductive to the event as it can easily discourage people from participating, rightfully claiming there's no point if no one will appreciate it. Just look at the Fallout 4 section, both of the highest endorsed pictures are photoshopped, the rest aren't even close.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to voice this after reading the comments. Edited by Fyrcynn

In response to post #68716941. #68723861, #68735286 are all replies on the same post.

Fyrcynn wrote: I agree. Allowing it completely eliminates any chances of playing from an even field, it's like letting juiced and non juiced athletes competing in the same race. Questions the whole point of having a contest in the first place.
I understand this event is supposed to be an all inclusive one where there's no real winner, but it's a little unfair to those who can't or don't want to soup up their pics with other tools. Factoring in that the screenshot galleries are essentially semi-official popularity contests, those who photoshopped their pictures will get all the attention and approval while leaving others in the dust regardless of how artistic their works actually are. Which can become contraproductive to the event as it can easily discourage people from participating, rightfully claiming there's no point if no one will appreciate it. Just look at the Fallout 4 section, both of the highest endorsed pictures are photoshopped, the rest aren't even close.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to voice this after reading the comments.

you cnnot tell which pohotos are editd,andwhich arent....but this would also include peolple with potato PCs and people with high end pcs. Not everyone can buy a top PC and run it with 3000 graphic mods.

Plus prizes are randomly chosen...it's just a way to encourage people in participating in the site,not a real competition XD

In response to post #68716941. #68723861, #68735286, #68737571 are all replies on the same post.

Fyrcynn wrote: I agree. Allowing it completely eliminates any chances of playing from an even field, it's like letting juiced and non juiced athletes competing in the same race. Questions the whole point of having a contest in the first place.

zzjay wrote: you cnnot tell which pohotos are editd,andwhich arent....but this would also include peolple with potato PCs and people with high end pcs. Not everyone can buy a top PC and run it with 3000 graphic mods.

Plus prizes are randomly chosen...it's just a way to encourage people in participating in the site,not a real competition XD

I partly disagree. Tools such as Photoshop and Lightroom are great for post processing and by post processing I mean, eliminating color issues, correcting exposure etc.
Putting something new into a screenshot via photoshop elements would be illustration and I'd stand against that too. Edited by sevenpacer

In response to post #68716941. #68723861, #68735286, #68737571, #68739056 are all replies on the same post.

zzjay wrote: you cnnot tell which pohotos are editd,andwhich arent....but this would also include peolple with potato PCs and people with high end pcs. Not everyone can buy a top PC and run it with 3000 graphic mods.

sevenpacer wrote: I partly disagree. Tools such as Photoshop and Lightroom are great for post processing and by post processing I mean, eliminating color issues, correcting exposure etc.
Putting something new into a screenshot via photoshop elements would be illustration and I'd stand against that too.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/144623
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/144604

If those aren't photoshopped, nothing is. And as I mentioned earlier, they are also the ones with the highest amount of approval by far. So yes, you can tell when a picture is edited, and if you say that this inclusion is to let people with less powerful rigs to participate, I'd like to point out that in that case the picture in question would be less screenshot and more photoshop work. Put in another way, it's not really a game screenshot anymore but a different kind of artwork, which shouldn't be allowed in this kind of event.
Another reason they shouldn't be here is that the number of people who can even use PS on a sufficiently high level in the first place is low if we take a look at the numbers. Meaning letting those few participate encourages exclusivity more, since they can cover the shortcomings in their picture in a way others can't. Again, this goes against the notion that this event is supposed to be for everyone.

As for the prizes, yes, having them offered could be a way to draw in more participants. On the other hand, it also changes the event from a free one to a real competition, since there will inevitably people present who take screenarchery more seriously simply because there's a reward. So it really goes two ways.

You can make amazing pictures even if you don't run 4K texture replacers for everything. But once you turn to photoshopping instead of putting effort into screenshots that are beautiful in their own right, that's when you should reconsider where and what kind of artwork you actually want to display. Edited by Fyrcynn