⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Screenshot Community Event: Win one of three prizes!

BigBizkit

Jeez...all this arguing over a £25 Steam Gift Card.

Upload a screenie for gits & shiggles. If you win...BONUS!

Have fun. It's not worth blowing a gasket.

Edited by timulika

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #68779731.

timulika wrote: Jeez...all this arguing over a £25 Steam Gift Card.
Upload a screenie for gits & shiggles. If you win...BONUS!
Have fun. It's not worth blowing a gasket.

Sigh... can't blame you for not reading all those walls of text, but you could at least check what the blowing a gasket was about before making assumptions. Thank you, have a nice day.

You probably didn't bother to look at the time stamp to see how this discussion started WAY BEFORE I made a critique of the post of the user you're referring to, and I take offense at your implication that I made personal attacks on him for bias or material gain. It's also hypocritical to defend whiteknighting and tolerating only unconditional praise while ignoring or refusing everything else.

Am I missing something? I don't see this critique anywhere in this interesting thread and I've read the whole thing.

Edited by hammersmcp

In response to post #68781866.

hammersmcp wrote:
You probably didn't bother to look at the time stamp to see how this discussion started WAY BEFORE I made a critique of the post of the user you're referring to, and I take offense at your implication that I made personal attacks on him for bias or material gain. It's also hypocritical to defend whiteknighting and tolerating only unconditional praise while ignoring or refusing everything else.

Am I missing something? I don't see this critique anywhere in this interesting thread and I've read the whole thing.

I believe it's this? I might be wrong though, I haven't been paying much attention.

In response to post #68781866. #68792841 is also a reply to the same post.

hammersmcp wrote:

Artsick wrote: I believe it's this? I might be wrong though, I haven't been paying much attention.

That's it.

Was it nice? No. Was it still on point? Yes. I was the only one who dared voicing criticism in place of fanboying (for the lack of a better word) and a bunch of people got instantly triggered at me which later culminated in open harassment that got an entire chain of posts deleted from this page. Pretty sad how they used the post I made there to turn an unrelated and serious discussion here into their personal vendetta. And very educational about what can be expected if someone entertains the thought of uploading pictures into the gallery. This is why it needs some serious changing. Edited by Fyrcynn

In response to post #68781866. #68792841, #68794466 are all replies on the same post.

hammersmcp wrote:

Artsick wrote: I believe it's this? I might be wrong though, I haven't been paying much attention.
Fyrcynn wrote: That's it.

Was it nice? No. Was it still on point? Yes. I was the only one who dared voicing criticism in place of fanboying (for the lack of a better word) and a bunch of people got instantly triggered at me which later culminated in open harassment that got an entire chain of posts deleted from this page. Pretty sad how they used the post I made there to turn an unrelated and serious discussion here into their personal vendetta. And very educational about what can be expected if someone entertains the thought of uploading pictures into the gallery. This is why it needs some serious changing.

@Artsick: Thanks very much. :) I see how it fits into the overall picture. I hadn't read all of the comments on all of the entries. I appreciate your help. :)
@Fyrcynn: I guessed that something was missing but not the reason for it. Thanks for the info. :) Edited by hammersmcp

I was thinking this would be a good place to post some quick tips for doing screenshots as I often find many people only think of the console commands as something for cheating or fixing bugs - but there are a handful of really useful commands to use in making screenshots - that work on most Beth games. Unless otherwise noted they are safe for your game saves as long as you toggle them back to defaults before saving. However, as with any modding, test first and go with your own comfort level. I prefer taking shots while I actually play which is why I don't normally use pose mods or the like (unless doing a themed shot or story set) as I don't want them in my main game saves. So the commands below are ones I built up over time that I can use as I play without worrying about my saves.

COMMANDS:

TFC - toggle free camera. This lets you move the camera around freely so you can look for different angles or perspectives to take a shot. I tend to use TFC 1 which freezes the game completely while I move the camera around. This locks every thing in place so you have time to play with camera angles or other commands like FOV. Or I use TFC 0 if I want to unlock the camera but leave the game still running (good for capturing action shots or animations - especially if used with the game speed command). Another bonus for TFC 0 is for weather like snow and rain. If you lock the game then the rain and snow gets locked in one direction (and will vanish fro the screen if you rotate the camera around). But with TFC O the game continues to run so you can capture nice weather shots. Also useful to slow the game down while using TFC 0.

Note in Skyrim you can also change armor/outifts while the game is frozen like this by simply leaving console mode and opening the inventory. This is completely harmless (note weapon changing is more limited). In FO4 its a bit more complicated but a friend just told me there is a way: open the console in tfc 1, click on the character whose inventory you wanna open, so that it shows his/her ID or prid if you know the ID... then type openactorcontainer 1 and here you go. As always test this stuff first on a discardable save, especially in FO4 (which seems more sensitive to inventory, expressions, and idles) to make sure it works the way you expect.

TAI - Disable targeted NPC's AI (toggle). This is mainly useful when using TFC 0 (free camera, game running) so you can prevent NPC's from moving around. Also can lock them into a certain pose and/or expression. A bit more advanced but still very useful with the other commands.

FOV - Field of view. Personal favorite for doing close-up shots without getting the camera distortion you get if you try to zoom in close-on something with a higher FOV. It varies on games. For Skyrim I like 60-75 for landscapes, 30 for story shots of characters doing things, and 15-20 for real close-ups. For FO4 my default FOV is 90 so I tend to use 90-100. 45, or 20 for close-ups.

SUCSM - adjust camera movement speed. A must if using the free camera. For close-ups I use a range of 1 to 5. For landscapes or distance shots 6-10.

SGTM - Set Gametime Multiplier. This changes the game speed (e.g. movement, dialogue, etc.), with a higher number leading to a faster speed and a lower number leading to a lower speed. I use this to slow down action shots or animations. I have often gone as low as .01 although .1 is often enough. Don't save this in your game unless you set it back to default first - then is fine (I never had a problem with it and I do it all the time).

CSB - Clear Screen Blood. Removes any blood effects from the screen. I added this one as I know there were many action shots I deleted because of the blood smears on the screen ... until someone on one of my posts pointed this command out to me.

SISME 0 - SetImageSpaceModifiersEnable. It remove blurriness during spell casting /shooting /action cam, etc. toggle is 0 for off and 1 for on. I haven't used this one myself (just learned it today) and a bit more advanced but seemed very useful so added. Since I have not used I don't know if it would be an issue for a save game - test first and always restore to default which is ON (1).

TM - Toggle the menus/HUD/GUI. This is super useful to remove all the interfaces on the screen - HUD, messages, etc. I use this all the time to provide a screenshot without any of the HUD or the like from showing up.

Note most of the commands are toggable so you can easily enable/disable. Others, like FOV or SGTM, have defaults you should know before using them so you can set them back to the correct values when done.

My goal in doing screenshots is to enhance my game play so I try to avoid doing shots that interrupt my game play too much - so I don't want to have to reload a save simply because I had a chance to take a nice screenshot! The exception being when I am doing a set on purpose (like a theme) or for a story - then I use discardable saves for those types of sets.

EDITED POST: Clarified TFC, added TAI, added TM, added SISME, fixed a typo or two or three ...

Here is a list for Skyrim on wiki: https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Console_Commands_(Skyrim)

List for FO4: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_4_console_commands

Google will bring up lots of things as well :)

I find the above have worked on most of main BETH games. There are others but they get more in-depth and have various nuances and I wanted to keep this simple. None of this requires an ENB or special tools.

There are also a lot of tutorials on Wiki and Nexus for tips on taking screenshots that range from the casual and easy to the more complex and hard core - and cover many games. Experiment and find your own style and preference - that is how I learned a few things along with a lot of trial and error and a lot of kind help and feedback from many in the community.

On a side note, although this should be obvious I hope, I find the best way to give feedback to be when its positive, encouraging, and supportive. In this way people can learn to improve (if that is their goal, some people are happy just playing and sharing shots) in a comfortable environment. I think its rude to post unasked for feedback on an image, especially in a gaming community like this where people are mainly enjoying their hobby. Even when someone does ask for feedback keep in mind it should be done in a way to build confidence, provide support, and to encourage people to consider trying new things. I doubt anyone wants to have their work judged or torn down, especially unasked. When it comes to art I feel we can really own judge our own creations and our own personal reactions and feelings to other people's work - it is very subjective. I know what I like myself, and how I view things, but that is only for me and everyone has different tastes and styles. I think it is important to keep that in mind and to remember people are sharing a part of themselves, in a way, when they share a post, and that we should be respectful of that.

Edited by wolfgrimdark

In response to post #68796476.

wolfgrimdark wrote: I was thinking this would be a good place to post some quick tips for doing screenshots as I often find many people only think of the console commands as something for cheating or fixing bugs - but there are a handful of really useful commands to use in making screenshots - that work on most Beth games:

TFC - toggle free camera. This lets you move the camera around freely so you can look for different angles or perspectives to take a shot. I tend to use TFC 1 which freezes the game completely while I move the camera around. Or I use TFC 0 if I want to unlock the camera but leaver the game still running (good for capturing action shots or animations - especially if used with the game speed command).

FOV - Field of view. Personal favorite for doing close-up shots without getting the camera distortion you get if you try to zoom in close-on something with a higher FOV. It varies on games. For Skyrim I like 60-75 for landscapes, 30 for story shots of characters doing things, and 15-20 for real close-ups. For FO4 my default FOV is 90 so I tend to use 90-100. 45, or 20 for close-ups.

SUCSM - adjust camera movement speed. A must if using the free camera. For close-ups I use a range of 1 to 5. For landscapes or distance shots 6-10.

SGTM - Set Gametime Multiplier. This changes the game speed (e.g. movement, dialogue, etc.), with a higher number leading to a faster speed and a lower number leading to a lower speed. I use this to slow down action shots or animations. I have often gone as low as .01 although .1 is often enough.

CSB - Clear Screen Blood. Removes any blood effects from the screen. I added this one as I know there were many action shots I deleted because of the blood smears on the screen ... until someone on one of my posts pointed this command out to me.

Here is a list for Skyrim on wiki: https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Console_Commands_(Skyrim)

I find the above have worked on most of main BETH games. There are others but they get more in-depth and have various nuances and I wanted to keep this simple. None of this requires an ENB or special tools.

There are also a lot of tutorials on Wiki and Nexus for tips on taking screenshots that range from the casual and easy to the more complex and hard core. Experiment and find your own style and preference - that is how I learned a few things along with a lot of trial and error and a lot of kind help and feedback from many in the community.

On a side note, although this should be obvious I hope, I find the best way to give feedback to be when its positive, encouraging, and supportive. In this way people can learn to improve (if that is their goal, some people are happy just playing and sharing shots) in a comfortable environment. I think its rude to post unasked for feedback on an image, especially in a gaming community like this where people are mainly enjoying their hobby. Even when someone does ask for feedback keep in mind it should be done in a way to build confidence, provide support, and to encourage people to consider trying new things. I doubt anyone wants to have their work judged or torn down, especially unasked. When it comes to art I feel we can really own judge our own creations and our own personal reactions and feelings to other people's work - it is very subjective. I know what I like myself, and how I view things, but that is only for me and everyone has different tastes and styles. I think it is important to keep that in mind and to remember people are sharing a part of themselves, in a way, when they share a post, and that we should be respectful of that.

I had no idea CSB was a thing, thanks for mentioning it! :O

In response to post #68796476. #68796921 is also a reply to the same post.

wolfgrimdark wrote: I was thinking this would be a good place to post some quick tips for doing screenshots as I often find many people only think of the console commands as something for cheating or fixing bugs - but there are a handful of really useful commands to use in making screenshots - that work on most Beth games:

TFC - toggle free camera. This lets you move the camera around freely so you can look for different angles or perspectives to take a shot. I tend to use TFC 1 which freezes the game completely while I move the camera around. Or I use TFC 0 if I want to unlock the camera but leaver the game still running (good for capturing action shots or animations - especially if used with the game speed command).

SGTM - Set Gametime Multiplier. This changes the game speed (e.g. movement, dialogue, etc.), with a higher number leading to a faster speed and a lower number leading to a lower speed. I use this to slow down action shots or animations. I have often gone as low as .01 although .1 is often enough.

There are also a lot of tutorials on Wiki and Nexus for tips on taking screenshots that range from the casual and easy to the more complex and hard core. Experiment and find your own style and preference - that is how I learned a few things along with a lot of trial and error and a lot of kind help and feedback from many in the community.

Artsick wrote: I had no idea CSB was a thing, thanks for mentioning it! :O

Thanks for your post! The console commands are definitely helpful for anyone who would like to give it a shot.

In response to post #68796476. #68796921, #68796971, #68797266 are all replies on the same post.

TFC - toggle free camera. This lets you move the camera around freely so you can look for different angles or perspectives to take a shot. I tend to use TFC 1 which freezes the game completely while I move the camera around. This locks every thing in place so you have time to play with camera angles or other commands like FOV. Note in Skyrim you can also change armor while the game is frozen like this. Or I use TFC 0 if I want to unlock the camera but leave the game still running (good for capturing action shots or animations - especially if used with the game speed command). Another bonus for TFC 0 is for weather like snow and rain. If you lock the game then the rain and snow gets locked in one direction (and will vanish fro the screen if you rotate the camera around). But with TFC O the game continues to run so you can capture nice weather shots. Also useful to slow the game down while using TFC 0.

TAI - Disable targeted NPC's AI. This is mainly useful when using TFC 0 (free camera, game running) so you can prevent NPC's from moving around. Also can lock them into a certain pose and/or expression. A bit more advanced but still very useful with the other commands.

TM - Toggle the menus/HUD/GUI. This is super useful to remove all the interfaces on the screen - HUD, messages, etc. I use this all the time to provide a screenshot without any of the HUD or the like from showing up.

Note all the commands are toggable so you can easily enable/disable. Just be careful with SGTM - if you change this setting be sure to set it back to the default of 1. You don't want to get that saved in your game.

EDITED POST: Clarified TFC, added TAI, added TM, fixed a typo or two or three ...

Artsick wrote: I had no idea CSB was a thing, thanks for mentioning it! :O
BigBizkit wrote: Thanks for your post! The console commands are definitely helpful for anyone who would like to give it a shot.
wolfgrimdark wrote: Oh thanks! Aye so many I use but was trying not to overwhelm people who are not used to using the console - but aye TM is one of the big ones so just added it to my post.

TM is the other important one, it toggles the HUD on and off. Edited by jim_uk