Screenshot Share

SerecenHwke

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets a little overbearing when someone goes overboard with the linked images, I've seen some with 50+ in the description alone.

Then impose a limit, i've never seen 50+ additional images or even 10+ so I think your trying to solve a problem relating to a minority. The chance to make a small 'set' is a nice addition when it relates to the main image or you get a few different angles that look better.

I can understand that sometimes a few users might get carried with things like storyboard image sets so could you consider doing a 10 image link limit instead of removing the option altogether?

Edited by Ironman5000

You'll always get some who abuse it, I've not seen that many embedded but as Ironman says if it's problem then maybe limit the number to 10 or something. I think it's better to have images embedded together than have them uploaded separately, it's less to wade through.

It's also not the amount of images but the fact lots of people also don't resize their images to actually fit the page. You end up with 10 1900x1200 res images on the page and it (1) takes a crap-ton of unexpected bandwidth and (2) looks completely gash. it's not what the Image Share was intended to be used for so we'll be blocking it out in due course and replacing it with a system we are more comfortable with.

Will those images already embedded still work? those comic strips I do will all be broken if not, they take a lot longer to make than people realise (some 15hrs+), so as you can imagine I'm a little bit concerned about it.

Personally, I like the idea of having a mini gallery available rather than messing with all that code.

Tried it, but then realized I didn't like it and that it likely caused problems for people with slower computers and internet connections...not to mention the bandwidth-leeching thing.

It's also not the amount of images but the fact lots of people also don't resize their images to actually fit the page. You end up with 10 1900x1200 res images on the page and it (1) takes a crap-ton of unexpected bandwidth and (2) looks completely gash. it's not what the Image Share was intended to be used for so we'll be blocking it out in due course and replacing it with a system we are more comfortable with.

Fair enough, in which case could a resolution scale limit not be implemented and displayed when add an image is clicked? Like showing a message saying "any image extensions in the description should be a maximum of 900 width (whatever height you think) and no more than 10 (or your chosen limit)"?

However it does take a crap-ton of unexpected bandwidth with the 900 width limit I can understand your decision to save performance, and if I am correct in understanding the term gash...well you don't want that all over the nexus! :P

Personally, I like the idea of having a mini gallery available rather than messing with all that code.

Tried it, but then realized I didn't like it and that it likely caused problems for people with slower computers and internet connections...not to mention the bandwidth-leeching thing.

Who's leeching bandwidth? people still have to stick to their daily limit if the images they're embedding here are also hosted here and those not hosted here aren't using the sites bandwidth at all. Image hosts give out embed codes, they wouldn't if they didn't want people hotlinking. I can understand the problem with people uploading 1080p images and breaking everything, it a shame that a few idiots have spoiled things for everyone else again but I can't see how anyone is leeching anything.