Vortex won't find my games

TylerRose

Hello,

I just reinstalled Vortex after building and setting up my new PC. The only two games Vortex can find is NMS and TF2. Since these are both Steam games, it is odd to me that Vortex can't also find my Skyrim, Oblivion, etc. even after specifically adding my steamapps\common directory to the game search in the Vortex settings. I am also trying to get Subnautica via Epic Games to show up.

My current game search paths in Vortex are:

C:\

D:\

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

D:\Program Files\Epic Games

E:\

(yes I know two of the paths are redundant with D:\ but I was trying to be specific to fix the issue)

Part of my PC build included a 256 NVME m.2 drive that I use for my OS boot. This was really small when I started installing programs so, with the help of a linux boot drive, I created symlinks of Program Files (x86) and Program Files from the C drive to my D drive. Initially I thought that this was causing my issues here with Vortex but since it finds TF2 and NMS it must be something different. I even tried running as administrator (yes I know it says don't complain when this causes permission issues with games, I don't intend to keep it running this way after this issue is resolved) to just see if it would allow it to find the files, no dice.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler Rose

Edit: small change for clarity

Edited by TylerRose

Part of my PC build included a 256 NVME m.2 drive that I use for my OS boot. This was really small when I started installing programs so, with the help of a linux boot drive, I created symlinks of Program Files (x86) and Program Files from the C drive to my D drive. Initially I thought that this was causing my issues here with Vortex but since it finds TF2 and NMS it must be something different.

Someone else did this, and IIRC they had no end of problems

Part of my PC build included a 256 NVME m.2 drive that I use for my OS boot. This was really small when I started installing programs so, with the help of a linux boot drive, I created symlinks of Program Files (x86) and Program Files from the C drive to my D drive. Initially I thought that this was causing my issues here with Vortex but since it finds TF2 and NMS it must be something different.

Someone else did this, and IIRC they had no end of problems

Well that doesn't sound good. I was hopeful since Vortex recognized my TF2 and NMS installs which is in the symlinked location with my other games. I don't understand how it sees this but not any others. Maybe there is a workaround that someone has heard of?

• 3 weeks later...

So you've clicked on GAMES-------->Show Hidden

And checked the GAMES------->Discovered and GAMES----->Managed tabs?

And SCAN FULL button?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I also repeated both scans after adding specific directories to the games. Even trying something like steamapps/common/Skyrim as a path and scanning again (full and quick) didn't find the game.

You have an unusual setup to say the least.

Can you confirm that you can see all the games you are having problems detecting in the "Supported" or "Discovered" tabs in Vortex?

If possible, please run a quick and full scan and then send us your Vortex.log file through the app.

There is a possibility that when trying to find these games from your Steam manifest the path cannot be resolved, possibly related to the symlink, but we'd need the log file to know what's going on.

• 1 year later...

I'm having this issue with Cyberpunk 2077. I've played mods on Skyrim VR and Witcher 3, so I know how to do this - but no matter how I search, it just won't find Cyberpunk.

That's because Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't even have any modding tools yet, and isn't supported by Vortex yet.

Yet there are mods... https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077

I'm having this issue with Cyberpunk 2077. I've played mods on Skyrim VR and Witcher 3, so I know how to do this - but no matter how I search, it just won't find Cyberpunk.

That's because Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't even have any modding tools yet, and isn't supported by Vortex yet.

Yet there are mods... https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077

Done with a hex editor.

And Vortex doesn't support CyberPunk 20177 yet, so the point is moot until it does.