Skagens

Mean words only have the power you choose to give them

9DD8JEu.png

The filter IIRC is built in, because, decent people are creative and intelligent enough to get their ideas across without using the "F" word as a comma.

And that is the kind of argument one does not make. Labeling people who use profanity as not being "creative and intelligent enough" is an easy way of destroying ones credibility. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

If expletives are permitted then the Nexus will have seen the last of me. Thank you.

The Rabbit

That's more of a "you" problem than a Nexus problem but whatever floats your boat.

I honestly see no harm in such an option being made available to users.

@Skagens,

I’m with you all the way. Sure, I understand Nexus in this, but it’s a little belittling imho.

Just set the profanity filter ON by default and let the user decide if they want to switch it OFF. The only one seeing profanity is the user themselves, so I don’t understand why people get so effed up about. Not their business how I want the messages appear on the Nexus.

Every day I read the comments on the mods I follow through the main page option.

There the messages are unfiltered, but if you click on the message and go to the mod page itself the message is filtered. Seems weird to me.

All in all, people are smart enough to choose the filter they want, no need for Nexus to decide that for us.

Cheers

-=DD=-

The site owner has determined that he does not want the type of language are espousing displayed on his site. This is part of the Terms and Policies to which you agreed when you joined the site. If you don't like or agree with this policy, you are free to leave at any time. I am sure you can find another site that suits your tastes.

To address the original question. It is not possible to "toggle" the profanity filter. As far as I know, the filter is run over the posts as they are submitted and permanently replaces the curse words with whatever we've set. I don't really see a need for it to be honest. I'll agree swearing is funny in some contexts, but with most of the communication here being text based it's very easy for the context to be lost or misinterpreted.

The site owner has determined that he does not want the type of language are espousing displayed on his site. This is part of the Terms and Policies to which you agreed when you joined the site. If you don't like or agree with this policy, you are free to leave at any time. I am sure you can find another site that suits your tastes.

Sure, the site owner can do whatever he wants, I haven't claimed anything to the contrary. I don't think you've understood the purpose of my post. This tab on the forum is called "Feedback, suggestions and questions", and this forum post is a suggestion of a feature. Not a demand, a suggestion. What I'm expecting are comments about weather people think it's a good suggestion, or not.

You don't think it's a good idea? That's fine. But why not just say so? "I disagree because of x". Simple.

To address the original question. It is not possible to "toggle" the profanity filter. As far as I know, the filter is run over the posts as they are submitted and permanently replaces the curse words with whatever we've set. I don't really see a need for it to be honest. I'll agree swearing is funny in some contexts, but with most of the communication here being text based it's very easy for the context to be lost or misinterpreted.

Oh, so it's not even plausible? That's fine then, I didn't think it would be too much of an effort to add a setting like that if the site is already using it. But then again, I'm not familiar with coding, so I wouldn't know.

If I understand Pickysaurus' reply correctly, it sounds like the site owner has decided not to store certain language in the database. Some words are filtered out before the text is stored, so giving users the option to display it would be pointless. They can only display the content stored in the database.

Good decision, imho, especially since this site wants to be fully accessible worldwide, and different jurisdictions have different standards in terms of what is acceptable speech - both legally and culturally.

Oh, so it's not even plausible? That's fine then, I didn't think it would be too much of an effort to add a setting like that if the site is already using it. But then again, I'm not familiar with coding, so I wouldn't know.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind for when we revamp commenting on the site, however we do prefer users don't use profane language at all so I expect it won't be included. We'll see when we get there though!

I'll keep your suggestion in mind for when we revamp commenting on the site, however we do prefer users don't use profane language at all so I expect it won't be included. We'll see when we get there though!

Alright. I get it, no profanity no exceptions. I know why, and that's fine.

For anyone with the power to close this topic, you may.

Edited by Skagens

@Skagens,

I’m with you all the way. Sure, I understand Nexus in this, but it’s a little belittling imho.

Just set the profanity filter ON by default and let the user decide if they want to switch it OFF. The only one seeing profanity is the user themselves, so I don’t understand why people get so effed up about. Not their business how I want the messages appear on the Nexus.

Every day I read the comments on the mods I follow through the main page option.

There the messages are unfiltered, but if you click on the message and go to the mod page itself the message is filtered. Seems weird to me.

All in all, people are smart enough to choose the filter they want, no need for Nexus to decide that for us.

Cheers

-=DD=-

DD- The posts sections run off a different system than the forums do. I dunno how to explain this in non-tech speak.

The forums are run by a software called IPboard, which is a very common, and frequently used software for managing internet forums.

It's not feasible to use it for hosting large files, posting many pictures, and such as what we have on the mod downloads pages, which is why a more feasible system is used for that.

@Pickysaurus - Mike. I ran into something a while back that was a bit unsettling, and actually made my post look a bit racist. I typed the phrase "a bad ch.i.nk in the armor" and the filter changed it and posted it as "a bad Asian in the armor" (Granted, my typing didn't have the periods there, but you know what I mean).

Being half Korean, I've been called that C words more times than I'd like to have been. So I'm not making any issue of it being filtered. But can the data be replaced with asterisks in the forum's filter list, like profanity is?