Prevent Author Spam of the Hot Files

TateTaylorOH

If you're going to suppress content from hot files based on quantity, then just make sure you change the names to "Some of the Hot Files" or "Not all the hot files" or "Sample hot files". That way, the users will have some hint to indicate it isn't really the hot files, just a limited sampling based on nothing more than a complaint because "That mod author has too many hot files".

In case it didn't come through, that is sarcasm. Blocking any content which is within the submission rules for Nexus is a terrible idea and smacks of censorship.

And even money says that blocking more than two mods is OK, until those wishing to block others have more than two mods which would normally make the Hot Files. Then, the music will change because blocking THEIR mod is a travesty.

I agree, this seems like a real issue. It's happened three times in recent memory. I've had some pretty decent success with getting in the hot files, and it really helps your mod get some traction, which feels great and helps motivate you to make more. We should free up those spaces to make sure the exposure goes to as many people as possible. Releasing in a series like JK's has and the Enigma person did (and LotD did before then) seems to create a sort of feedback loop of attention. I'd rather not see that become a trend. JK's work is good (and I'm sure the other mods were good too) and he deserves recognition but it would be nice if the system didn't encouraging his mods to drown out others on the hot files.

Let's not go down the "Tied to Donation Points" rabbithole, we've already been there before.

What really needs to happen is the Nexus needs to figure out how their website software works, and stop pushing the Useless Tagging system that people have been complaining about for at least a DECADE (or two) now.

The only way to stop "Translation Spam" currently is to BLOCK the Mod Author.
TAGS DO NOT WORK, in these or any other instance.

If you're going to suppress content from hot files based on quantity, then just make sure you change the names to "Some of the Hot Files" or "Not all the hot files" or "Sample hot files". That way, the users will have some hint to indicate it isn't really the hot files, just a limited sampling based on nothing more than a complaint because "That mod author has too many hot files".

In case it didn't come through, that is sarcasm. Blocking any content which is within the submission rules for Nexus is a terrible idea and smacks of censorship.

And even money says that blocking more than two mods is OK, until those wishing to block others have more than two mods which would normally make the Hot Files. Then, the music will change because blocking THEIR mod is a travesty.

Agreed. It isn't the "Hot Files" anymore when the list gets arbitrarily modified or limited because people are angry that their mods don't get enough downloads to show up on the list. If not enough people are downloading my mods for them to show up on the Hot Files list, that isn't the fault of Nexus Mods or some other mod author, that's on me for making something that isn't super popular.

I think you're mis-characterizing this when you say it's about authors whining their files aren't making it to hot files. I have no problem making hot files when I release, SimonMagus616 doesn't, and Arthmoor certainly doesn't.

The issue I have is that as a user it limits what mods are shown to me. If I want to see popular new mods, it's nice to know that JK is doing Whiterun interiors now, but I really don't need half of the hot files to say JK's Whatever to find that out. I'd much rather have one panel for JK's hot files and the others to show me what else is new, so that I can see at a glance what else is new and popular.

I think the easiest/best solution would be to limit the number of mods from a single author that can appear on hot files to either 1 or 2 at most. If the mod authors want all of their files to show up on hot files, they simply have to delay the release until after the hot files change. This allows multiple good mods by the same author to appear in hot files without actually blocking out other good mods.

I agree with this, I don't want to see more than 1 or 2 from the same author. Based on recent cases, this is usually because of someone uploading multiple parts of the same project in quick succession.

I don't see any issues. The mods make it to the hot files because they deserve it based on the current criteria. If several mods in the Hot Files happen to be from the same author, so be it. I personally find it alarming that voices are raised because 'other mods deserve to be there'. Apparently not, else they WOULD be there. Deciding which mods should be allowed and which ones not makes the whole set-up of the Hot Files redundant. Let's from now on make a board with mods and throw darts at it, blindfolded and with an innocent hand. And after having been positioned in the correct direction. Can't have my hand, mind, I'm not innocent of anything.

I don't see any issues. The mods make it to the hot files because they deserve it based on the current criteria. If several mods in the Hot Files happen to be from the same author, so be it. I personally find it alarming that voices are raised because 'other mods deserve to be there'. Apparently not, else they WOULD be there. Deciding which mods should be allowed and which ones not makes the whole set-up of the Hot Files redundant. Let's from now on make a board with mods and throw darts at it, blindfolded and with an innocent hand. And after having been positioned in the correct direction. Can't have my hand, mind, I'm not innocent of anything.

I have to agree with you 100%. There are reasons the mods make the hot files list. To those people whining about not seeing other author's work, open you eyes and read the page. EVERY mod page has other categories. These other categories are "NEW TODAY, NEW THIS WEEK, POPULAR (30 DAYS), etc. If you go to the Mods tab, you have even more choices. It just takes a little effort on your part.