You need to scrap vortex and start over.

sovs

Vortex currently accounts for over 66% of mod manager users on Nexus Mods (18.5% NMM, 14.6% MO2). You're going to need to be a lot more specific because the vast majority of our users have moved over to Vortex in under 2 years and seemingly don't have a problem with it.

Sure. But that's because you did everything you could to strike Nexus Mod Manager from the records. And that folks who use Vortex "seemingly don't have a problem with it" is correct. Especially the word "seemingly".

Yes, and I remember you starting thread after thread in the support group having a problem with everything you could manufacture.

The problem wasn't with Vortex, it was with the user refusing to accept the different way of thinking Vortex requires.

I made the same beginner mistakes myself.

I set up Fallout 4 with Vortex, and right out of the box, I tried to set up my load order according to a mod page that said their load order was the BEST load order.

I failed because their Load Order WAS WRONG, so I was trying to force Esps to load before other Esps when they were in fact supposed to load AFTER them, so I kept getting cyclic rules etc.

It wasn't until I let Vortex sort my load order, and I just fixed the Conflicts that Vortex reported on, when I finally "Got it"

But there's always someone out there "Yea, but I NEED this ESP to go BEFORE that ESP because REASONS" which they either never explain, or it's because, they are trying to use a load order someone posted from Reddit or the Nexus, and INSIST that it's the 'way to go'

I can literally install hundreds of mods in about a half hour now, I just install them as I download them without worrying about install order, then when I'm finished downloading and installing, I fix the conflicts that vortex tells me about and I'm done.

Some people HATE change, they hated the new site design, they hated NMM, and now they hate Vortex.

Those people will (Ironically) never change

You can even see a very long thread in the Vortex Support forum about ME demanding Manual Load order sorting, back when I was still in the NMM camp, and trying to force Vortex to be NMM

People for whatever reason, refuse to understand and learn the simple "LOAD BEFORE, and LOAD AFTER" rules, there's only TWO RULES, it's not that difficult.

If you're trying to do something in Vortex and "Vortex won't let you", then you're trying to do something wrong, and unlike NMM that will happily and quietly sit there and let you wreck your load order, Vortex will speak up and say something.

I have virtually crashfree Bethesda games now, because there's no doubt about which esp goes where, Vortex handles the ESPs, it's for YOU to help Vortex sort the MODS (BSA, meshes, textures) properly.

That's the difference between NMM and Vortex, with NMM you have to obsess over the PLUGINS, with Vortex, that's done for you, and instead you sort the MODS instead.

For the first time, I used the same mods I've been using in Fallout New Vegas for years, that I've actually seen the textures properly in the game, because back when I was doing it with NMM, I apparently never loaded the the Textures properly.

Also, funny, the download for the newest NMM IS ON THE SAME PAGE AS THE VORTEX DOWNLOAD.

THat's not exactly "Striking NMM from the records"

Seriously, if people have a hard time seeing the download for NMM ON THE SAME PAGE, then they're probably going to have problems with Vortex.

Vortex currently accounts for over 66% of mod manager users on Nexus Mods (18.5% NMM, 14.6% MO2). You're going to need to be a lot more specific because the vast majority of our users have moved over to Vortex in under 2 years and seemingly don't have a problem with it.

Sure. But that's because you did everything you could to strike Nexus Mod Manager from the records. And that folks who use Vortex "seemingly don't have a problem with it" is correct. Especially the word "seemingly".

I have to agree w/Jimmy on this. Your stats are not exactly, well honest / accurate.

I also have to agree: " Seemingly ". I can go to the Vortex Support and see DAILY problems that people are " seemingly " having issues with Vortex, because all you have to do is look at the many many posts ...

I for one tried for over 2 weeks to work with Vortex - reading - rereading and re-re-rereading and I never could get it to work 100%. I finally gave up, and went back to NMM have not looked back.

So that " 66% " is based actually on what? Because obviously, if Nexus would put NMM back on the ACTIVE & Support, I would wager a pretty safe bet that that 66% would drop and drop pretty fast. . o O ( Just saying .... )

> Good post Jimmy!

if you can't make it work that is because of two things;

1. you didn't bother to learn how to make it work

2. you want it to be nmm

if you have an absolute show-stopping, game wrecking problem with it then where are your posts in the support forum, detailing your woes? i rather think your post where you claim issues, yet there are no posts in the support forum could be labelled "dishonest" and "inaccurate". Just saying.

Answer to your first statement:

1 . > I'm guessing you did not read the 2 weeks I spent trying to get it to work?

I am NOT trying to start a flame war here .... it was just after 2 weeks, because I was warned there is a " learning curve " ...... So I was prepared. But again, after 2 weeks, and that was DAILY for a 4+ of hours ..... and this was just trying to get 1 game started: SKYRIM SE and the mods that I enjoy.

Answer to your Second statement:

2. >>Again, I am going to guess that this is just a " canned response "? Because if you read the 2 weeks, you would have at least followed your own advice to me:

" ... i rather think your post where you claim issues, yet there are no posts in the support forum could be labelled "dishonest" and "inaccurate". Just saying. ... "

I see that you just assumed .. instead of maybe reading and going, " Okay, what problems did he have? Maybe they were too many to list??? "

Yes, I started first with 1 game: SKYRIM SE. It would be too long to list the problems ... but needless to say after 2 weeks of errors - ctds and re-re-rereading troubleshooting page after page. Yes, I finally did go back to NMM. I admit that. But I did not go in with a " bias " that you seem to imply. I actually went into Vortex with eyes opened, understanding this was NOT NMM and that I have to be prepare to learn some new stuff and obviously was willing and did put some time into it. But one can only beat their head against a wall so many times.

But the bottom line is this: IF Nexus actually put NMM back w/support - the question is a valid one: Would that 66% drop? I have a feeling it would. Also again, all you have to do is go see all the " Support " questions that are posted daily on Vortex Support. Which at the time I did try to work with Vortex .. I was very familiar w/that forum.

I will stop here, as again, I do not wish to start a flame war and such. I did answer your questions and I am allowed to do that. But now I stop.

If you want to call me sharing those stats "dishonest" and "inaccurate" then I think that perhaps says a little more about you than it does about me and/or the stats.

So that " 66% " is based actually on what?

The stats directly from our API.

I for one tried for over 2 weeks to work with Vortex - reading - rereading and re-re-rereading and I never could get it to work 100%.

What didn't work?

>> Sorry about the stat ... my fingers sometimes get typing faster than they should. I did read that and was " ahead " of myself. Totally my bad ( typo ).

Long story short - Skyrim SE, which was the game I was playing at the time: Last year 2019 * early part of the year *. Mods would not load properly and when I thought they were, the game CTD ..

1st week - tried to " IMPORT " my mods from NMM ... that was a successful failure ...

2nd week - Started from Scratch and actually, manually installed clean w/Vortex and again, no matter what I did - Skyrim SE would not see or play the mods.

Thus at the end of the 2nd week ... I just simply went back to NMM and it worked w/no fuss ... no " hunt and peck " and no what I call the " P.I.T.A. Protocols " and within a few minutes ( 10 ) I was up and running with no issues.

Again this was in the early part of 2019 ....

Thanks for reading and understanding.

Guest deleted34304850

I have to agree w/Jimmy on this. Your stats are not exactly, well honest / accurate.

I also have to agree: " Seemingly ". I can go to the Vortex Support and see DAILY problems that people are " seemingly " having issues with Vortex, because all you have to do is look at the many many posts ...

I for one tried for over 2 weeks to work with Vortex - reading - rereading and re-re-rereading and I never could get it to work 100%. I finally gave up, and went back to NMM have not looked back.

So that " 66% " is based actually on what? Because obviously, if Nexus would put NMM back on the ACTIVE & Support, I would wager a pretty safe bet that that 66% would drop and drop pretty fast. . o O ( Just saying .... )

> Good post Jimmy!

if you can't make it work that is because of two things;

1. you didn't bother to learn how to make it work

2. you want it to be nmm

if you have an absolute show-stopping, game wrecking problem with it then where are your posts in the support forum, detailing your woes? i rather think your post where you claim issues, yet there are no posts in the support forum could be labelled "dishonest" and "inaccurate". Just saying.

Answer to your first statement:

1 . > I'm guessing you did not read the 2 weeks I spent trying to get it to work?

I am NOT trying to start a flame war here .... it was just after 2 weeks, because I was warned there is a " learning curve " ...... So I was prepared. But again, after 2 weeks, and that was DAILY for a 4+ of hours ..... and this was just trying to get 1 game started: SKYRIM SE and the mods that I enjoy.

Answer to your Second statement:

2. >>Again, I am going to guess that this is just a " canned response "? Because if you read the 2 weeks, you would have at least followed your own advice to me:

" ... i rather think your post where you claim issues, yet there are no posts in the support forum could be labelled "dishonest" and "inaccurate". Just saying. ... "

I see that you just assumed .. instead of maybe reading and going, " Okay, what problems did he have? Maybe they were too many to list??? "

Yes, I started first with 1 game: SKYRIM SE. It would be too long to list the problems ... but needless to say after 2 weeks of errors - ctds and re-re-rereading troubleshooting page after page. Yes, I finally did go back to NMM. I admit that. But I did not go in with a " bias " that you seem to imply. I actually went into Vortex with eyes opened, understanding this was NOT NMM and that I have to be prepare to learn some new stuff and obviously was willing and did put some time into it. But one can only beat their head against a wall so many times.

But the bottom line is this: IF Nexus actually put NMM back w/support - the question is a valid one: Would that 66% drop? I have a feeling it would. Also again, all you have to do is go see all the " Support " questions that are posted daily on Vortex Support. Which at the time I did try to work with Vortex .. I was very familiar w/that forum.

I will stop here, as again, I do not wish to start a flame war and such. I did answer your questions and I am allowed to do that. But now I stop.

and yet, there isn't one, not one, single post from you, showing your issues, discussing solutions and/or workarounds. not even one. i didn't assume anything, i searched the forums for your posts about vortex problems and found none.

amazing huh?

anyway, yeah, quite quick with the whole "dishonest" and "inaccurate" accusations towards Nexusmods and Robin there buddy. Dont the same rules apply to you? I mean, Robin has shared stats, all you've shared is your assertions with zero proof. I mean, if your issues were such a big deal, and reading your posts in this thread they obviously were and still are a big deal, then why didn't you ask for help? huh?

May want to slow down on the whole conspiracy theory nonsense and the insult throwing in future pal.

I'll stop here too. I think I've made my point quite clearly.

I will make one point and then ignore this thread.

A tool, any tool, is supposed to help people do what they need to do. Vortex is a tool. When you tell people that they have the wrong expectations for that tool it is the semantic equivalent of telling people that the tool is unequal to the task it is being expected to perform.

IF Nexus actually put NMM back w/support

NMM HAS.NEVER.LEFT.

You can still download it from the Vortex download page!!!

Right Here!!! (Below)

If you need instructions on how to scroll down a web page, then Vortex is DEFINITELY far too difficult for you.

Also, I didn't read any of the blinding Multicolored BOLD ITALIC stuff you posted, it was unreadable.

I have yet to see a valid argument about why Vortex doesn't work, as so far each and every argument against Vortex always displays a severe case of PEBCAK.

Every claim against Vortex so far, only shows those of us who know who to use it, that the person is either going by hearsay, has half-arsed tried Vortex for about 5 minutes, and doesn't have a clue how it works and refuses to learn.

The claims always expose just what the persons has/has not tried and/or learned, and those claims are extremely easy to see through.

I've seen enough of them, being a regular in the support forum, sometimes it's the same question over and over and over again, and it's something that could've been solved just by clicking on the SETTING tab.

The first logical place to look when you think something should be changed, but for some reason, people never do it.

Especially when someone ridiculously claims "I spent HOURS and DAYS trying to get Vortex to work with my games."

I've even seen people claiming they're "Software Engineers, or some other ridiculous "Appeal to Authority" claiming they've spent days trying to get Vortex set up, while, in their explanation, just PROVE that they've never spent any time with it, or did everything completely wrong because they refused to accept how Vortex does things and insisted on trying to force Vortex to be NMM.

Sorry, but that's pure rubbish and fabrication, the only thing someone claiming that does, is make themselves look like they could couldn't work a salt shaker if the instructions were written on the bottom

NMM-Vortex.jpg

A tool, any tool, is supposed to help people do what they need to do. Vortex is a tool. When you tell people that they have the wrong expectations for that tool it is the semantic equivalent of telling people that the tool is unequal to the task it is being expected to perform.

Hardly, it tells that people are expecting that tool to be EXACTLY like a different tool, rather than accepting the fact that it's a new tool, and they are incorrectly assuming it's just like the old tool.

People don't like change, they'd rather kick and scream about wanting things to stay the same, because staying the same is easy, because you don't have to learn and apply yourself.

The learning curve is a bit higher for Vortex, but anybody that has used MO or MO2 already have a head start because Vortex was written by the same person who wrote MO and MO2, so the concept is already there for a lot of people, it's just that they can't stand the idea of not being able to manually screw up their Plugin load order at will, thanks largely in part to NMM convincing them to believe that the "way to Mod" is to obsess over manually sorting your Plugin order.

Vortex requires you to think differently.

Vortex automatically takes care of your plugins, so you can focus on the TRUE part of modding, which is, what meshes, textures, BSAs load BEFORE or AFTER the others in order for the proper meshes, textures to show up in the game.

JUST LIKE WRYEBASH, MO, and MO2 do.

Take away the ability to manually sort Plugins, and people lose their minds, because they try halfheartedly, click like mice in a skinner box, then throw up their hands and say Vortex Sucks without ever learning the new system, which BTW has TWO choices, LOAD BEFORE and LOAD AFTER.

I have a feeling that most people get frustrated because they think that GROUPS in Vortex is like CATEGORIES in NMM and obsessively assign every single plugin they have to a GROUP, Not realizing that Groups are another way to sort things, so then they try to go against LOOT sorting rules and try and force a plugin in one group that LOADS AFTER another group, to load BEFORE a plugin in a different Group that loads BEFORE that group.

I've seen people that ask for help who use Standalone LOOT, and insist that Standalone LOOT works "Better than Vortex" yet Vortex uses the SAME Masterlist to sort.

I manage 316 mods in SKyrim SE, I have a handful of rules set up.

It took me a half hour to 45 minutes, so there's no way I will ever believe that people have spent hours every single day to try and get something set up.

Given what they complain about, they show us advanced users that they've spent around 10 minutes TOPS

Every exaggerated complaint is easily confirmed by the steps the person has claimed to have made, or the fact that it's extremely easy to see who is making stuff up just based on what they're saying, because they will leave out obvious steps and features that they would've known about if they had truly attempted what they're claiming

It's also entirely possible for someone to have a valid expectation that said tool will perform the same operations on the same set of games as every other tool and not attempt to impose a poor substitute for that same thing. And they don't need to have used it at all for that opinion to be valid.

It makes no difference whether you manage 15 mods or 1500 mods. If it doesn't manage them in a way you expect, want, and specifically desire, and the developers have plainly said it never will, then why would you ever consider it for your needs?

Guest deleted34304850

depends on your expectations.

if you want nmm - use nmm.

if you want mo use mo.

if you want wrye bash use wyre bash.

etc.

etc.

etc.

i personally like to use a hammer for nails and a screwdriver for screws. they help me to achieve similar, if not the same goal. i do not complain that my hammer cannot be used effectively on a screw, and my screwdriver is useless when it comes to nails.

i don't need to use a hammer to hold this opinion and you can't stop me from having it.

Guest deleted34304850

To accomplish a goal using a tool, you need to use the correct tool for the job and you need to use that tool correctly.

I can hammer a screw into a piece of wood. It would work, but it wouldn't be the correct thing to do. Is that the fault of the hammer, the screw or the person using the tool incorrectly?

Edited by 1ae0bfb8