⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Who is the Dragonborn's unidentified "friend".

LordSarcasm

I know this is a far fetched idea, but what if the "friend" isn't a real NPC which is why it is only signed "a friend" in those letters?

Like Bethesda didn't bother to have an exact NPC in that role but just wanted the dragonborn to get letters from some mysterious person.

It just seems like anyone named can be excluded or eliminated at a point or two and or for a reason or two so either there is no real NPC behind the mask so to speak, or it is more than one NPC that has been "a friend" to the dragonborn.

Don't be boring.... :P ....the truth is so 'blah'... :P

I reckon it's Maiq....he turns up everywhere, obviously spying on our Dragonborn's.... :ninja: .... :happy:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like ALL of the above theories, but the most logical to me is the Ulfric theory. I mean, think about it - even if you NEVER complete the main quest, when you finish the Civil War on the Imperial side, there's a line from him that always makes me question just exactly who the hell he is:

"Let the Dragonborn be the one to do it".

Even if you never retrieve the Dragonstone, even if you never once use a Shout, he just KNOWS. It's creepy.

It's Talos.

Think about it. Someone who knows where all the word walls are. The way the letter is worded. The omniscience of the "friend". The investment in the Dragonborn's growth regardless of loyalties.

It can't be Delphine. For all her spymastery, she is still only one person. And they can start before you even prove to her you're Dragonborn. Her "A Friend" sign-off is purely coincidential, just like there was an Esbern in the previous game, how Oblivion had a "Cyrus" despite that being the hero's name in Redguard. It's the most generic pseudonym. Furthermore, the letters keep on coming even when you get tired of her crap and say no to killing Paarthy.

It can't be Ulfric. If you're pro-Imperial, why would he be aiding and abetting the mightiest of his enemies?

It can't be Arngeir or any of the Graybeards, because again... they come before you even meet them and get formally anointed Dragonborn.

It can't be Farengar. He has no way of knowing so quickly that you're being Thu'um happy in a public place.

Talos has walked the Mundus before in a human form: Wulf in Morrowind and The Prophet in KOT9.

I know this is a far fetched idea, but what if the "friend" isn't a real NPC which is why it is only signed "a friend" in those letters?

Like Bethesda didn't bother to have an exact NPC in that role but just wanted the dragonborn to get letters from some mysterious person.

It just seems like anyone named can be excluded or eliminated at a point or two and or for a reason or two so either there is no real NPC behind the mask so to speak, or it is more than one NPC that has been "a friend" to the dragonborn.

Don't be boring.... :P ....the truth is so 'blah'... :P

I reckon it's Maiq....he turns up everywhere, obviously spying on our Dragonborn's.... :ninja: .... :happy:

But boring is all I have! LOL No, you're right. Bad TONS! Lol.

I like ALL of the above theories, but the most logical to me is the Ulfric theory. I mean, think about it - even if you NEVER complete the main quest, when you finish the Civil War on the Imperial side, there's a line from him that always makes me question just exactly who the hell he is:

"Let the Dragonborn be the one to do it".

Even if you never retrieve the Dragonstone, even if you never once use a Shout, he just KNOWS. It's creepy.

That is eerie. I'm not inviting Ulfric to any more parties I throw at Lakeview Manor now. Besides, I think he's been cheating whenever we played Pin the Tail on the Dragon.

It's Talos.

Think about it. Someone who knows where all the word walls are. The way the letter is worded. The omniscience of the "friend". The investment in the Dragonborn's growth regardless of loyalties.

It can't be Delphine. For all her spymastery, she is still only one person. And they can start before you even prove to her you're Dragonborn. Her "A Friend" sign-off is purely coincidential, just like there was an Esbern in the previous game, how Oblivion had a "Cyrus" despite that being the hero's name in Redguard. It's the most generic pseudonym. Furthermore, the letters keep on coming even when you get tired of her crap and say no to killing Paarthy.

It can't be Ulfric. If you're pro-Imperial, why would he be aiding and abetting the mightiest of his enemies?

It can't be Arngeir or any of the Graybeards, because again... they come before you even meet them and get formally anointed Dragonborn.

It can't be Farengar. He has no way of knowing so quickly that you're being Thu'um happy in a public place.

Talos has walked the Mundus before in a human form: Wulf in Morrowind and The Prophet in KOT9.

WOW! I'm convinced. Talos has my vote now. Well played friend. Well played.

• 2 weeks later...

No fooling: M'aiq the Liar. That cat's probably the sharpest character in Skyrim. He shadows the dov; who else could do so even half as well? But the cat never hides when espied along the road. M'aiq never imposes. We know nothing of him.

(Ignoring the random event reality :P) I'm inclined toward the Psijics. Maybe Talos, but I like the Psijics more, so I'll go on thinking it's them. For all that guards will mention them appearing out of thin air, they really don't get any screentime outside of Magus, so I'd like to think that that's their acting behind the scenes.

• 7 months later...

This one is also bugging me. I had dealt with Delphine and did the quest with the Thalmor Embassy (Hadn't done the cornered rat quest yet), but I still get the courier swinging by each time I do a shout, so I'm pretty convinced it's not Delphine. The only time I got a letter from her was when I tried to complete the quest - Horn of Jurgen Windcaller...

The courier, at least in my current game, referred to the mysterious friend as a "he". That would rule out Delphine. I am leaning towards one of the Greybeards. Perhaps Master Borri.

Then again it could be Farengar. He is studying the dragons and could easily come across information about word walls or rather the "hidden power".

I like the Psijics best of all the theories offered here. Calcermo does demonstrate some suspicious intelligence but the Psijics seem motivated and to possess the abilities to manipulate 'any' other NPC in the game! including sharp operators like Calcermo, never mind enthusiasts like Farengar. Someone like M'aiq would just be a 'cat's paw'.

Having divines involved in a piddling little plot to deceive the latest incarnation of the Dragonborn?... Why would they mess around like that?