RX 6800XT GPU

Took a while thanks to lack of availability and the time it took to dry my tears over the crazy prices, but, since you only live once, I bit the bulllet and condemned myself to poverty by buying a new GPU in the form of an AsRock Taichi RX 6800XT.

And as a result, I restarted Fallout 4 just to see if the game performed better than with my old Vega64.

And does it? Yes it does. Load times are significantly better and framerates are almost constantly at 60, or 59.9. I still have the game capped at 60fps and I also still game in 1080p. As such, the 6800XT is slightly overkill, I know. But, the GPU can manage Ultra settings where the Vega64 started trembling at the knees in Ultra.

But. Despite this beast of a GPU, FO4 still has serious framerate drops in the usual places like Boston Commons, along the Freedom Trail and Swann Lake. This to me shows that FO4 is in fact a miserable game, in that the optimisation regarding use of RAM is so poorly done that the GPU to run the game smoothly has yet to be invented.

But I'm okay with things as they stand. The water-and-bread I'll be consuming for the forseeable future will taste like a King's meal whenever I start FO4 and the game boots within 15 to 20 seconds and load screens take between 2 to 5 seconds, where before, when I still smoked, I had time to roll a cigarette when entering a building.

Anyone with a 3080 or 6800 who has some thoughts about FO4 now?

No 3080 but, I switched from 1080 ti, to 2080 ti to 3090 and still had/have drops in some areas like boston.
I could reduce the drops a bit by lowering shadow distance and godrays.

Loading times are okay so far, but the drops are annyoing.

No 3080 but, I switched from 1080 ti, to 2080 ti to 3090 and still had/have drops in some areas like boston.

Yeah, I hear you. Following the Freedom Trail I dropped to 15 to 20 fps. But, load times are a breath of fresh air. And no crashes due to the GPU being unable to render the frames in time. That's progress of a kind.

I would have liked a 6900XT, but my financial status didn't allow such luxury. My hopes are set on EuroMillions, the European lottery. Which means I'll be using the 6800XT for a wee while still...

Yeah, I hear you. Following the Freedom Trail I dropped to 15 to 20 fps. But, load times are a breath of fresh air. And no crashes due to the GPU being unable to render the frames in time. That's progress of a kind.

I would have liked a 6900XT, but my financial staus didn't allow such luxury. My hopes are set on EuroMillions, the European lottery. Which means I'll be using the 6800XT for a wee while still...

Well, for what it is worth, the new screenshots you've posted recently look great.

Maybe it's CPU heavy like the earlier games? with new Vegas I went from a GTX 970 to a GTX 980ti to a GTX 1080ti and didn't get much of an improvement with any of them, the only time I saw an decent improvement was when I upgraded the CPU.

I would have liked a 6900XT, but my financial status didn't allow such luxury. My hopes are set on EuroMillions, the European lottery. Which means I'll be using the 6800XT for a wee while still...

Yea the prices are beyond everyrthing, rly sucks to upgrade at the moment.

But yes, its way more enjoyable with faster loading times, back in the days I had Skyrim on a wd gold, which was fine, but a ssd changed alot :D

I would have liked a 6900XT, but my financial staus didn't allow such luxury. My hopes are set on EuroMillions, the European lottery. Which means I'll be using the 6800XT for a wee while still...

Well, for what it is worth, the new screenshots you've posted recently look great.

If u mean me, thank you ^-^

Maybe it's CPU heavy like the earlier games? with new Vegas I went from a GTX 970 to a GTX 980ti to a GTX 1080ti and didn't get much of an improvement with any of them, the only time I saw an decent improvement was when I upgraded the CPU.

True!

Bethesdas engine is indeed more on cpu. Same story here, from msi ti to ti, not a big change, but the swap from 6600k to 9700k was way more noticeable.

The Havok enging is a rly strange mess.

The thing with FO4 is that it's memory-hungry. Always has been and still is. When around Goodneighbor (exterior) and Fanueil Hall, I use 13 GB of system RAM and 12GB of GPU RAM, while getting 40 to 50fps in Ultra settings, with a rather heavy ENB, plus NAC and a ton of 2 and 4K texture mods.

Also had my first CTD a while back. Due to the AMD Radeon driver crashing. The driver rebooted properly by itself and I restarted the game without issues in the past 4 hours of gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jimmy. So, slightly but not really off-topic since I remember you having some experience with modding. I just got a new Alienware laptop, it has an NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super, and 360 Hz screen. Installed MO2, F4SE, and FO4 just like my old setup, and it looks and runs fine. My old saves are even okay. I use an ENB primarily in the past for aesthetics, but now also to cap my frame rate in the game. BTW, I do pull consistent 60 FPS in Goodneighbor with ENB and many mods, and damn that feels good, so there’s that.

I installed Creation Kit yesterday and it boots up fine and loads my mod just like it should. My problem is that the render preview windows are totally blank. Tried to load a cell—couple of them, in fact, and no go. Tried to pull up an NPC to preview, and same. What’s weird is it’s loading the cell...I can double click somewhere and it’ll bring up the object’s properties, I just have a totally white preview screen.

I’m running CK version 1.10.162.0. Game version 1.10.163.0, both just like before. Installed both of them fresh this week. Tried with and without ENB files, as I understand that was a problem in the past, but didn’t make a difference. GPU Drivers are all up to date. NifSkope and Outfit studio work fine. I’m stumped! Got any ideas? Everything I look for online leads to a dead end, and they’re old threads anyway.

Sorry to hijack your post, but I see you also got some fancy newfangled hardware you’re testing out, though. Figured it might be worth a shot to see if you knew of something I can check. Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry to bother you. Please disregard. I lowered my monitor refresh rate to 60Hz and it renders fine now. Annoying but at least it works.

• 1 month later...

google "draw call" and "dx11 draw call limitation"! i'm sure you will understand why you get fps drops even with overkill hardware in fo4 and other dx11 (and dx9) games. draw call exchange between cpu and gpu does not work as a multihreaded task up to dx11 and so you will encounter a severe cpu related bottleneck in all open world games with complex objects up to dx11 including fo4. skyrim and oblivion also suffer from that problem combined with the 32 bit limitation problem.

if you are aware of the background it is simple to understand and to take measures against that problem even in a modded game. but it also means that better hardware does not solve any fps or modding or optimization problems in these games.

so if you do not deactivate previs/precombine optimization in fo4 and you do not use mods deactivating it or destroying it like some scrap mods and do not overload your setup with needless mods raising exterior object complexity while destroying precombines (including some trash optimizers) you are on a good way. if you use enb you can make a simple draw call check. just open enb menu in a low fps area and engage the "Profiler" tab. you will see the current draw calls of the scene. you can also move the camera. if you see values above 15000 the game reaches the fo4 dx11 draw call limit which results in framedrops and stutter. this limiting value may vary slightly depending on your hardware. as long as this value is under 10000 i guarantee you that you will never see a sudden fps drop with good hardware.

• 3 months later...

I know this has probably been posted many times and I know there are lots of reviews on YouTube but I just want to know some honest opinions. What do you think is better? I've seen the 6800 XT beat the 3080 in some benchmarks but I've also seen the 3080 beat the 6800 XT in other benchmarks. Is one card better than the other?

targetpayandbenefits

Edited by William2008