⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Skywind is coming to Nexus Mods

SirSalami

In response to post #36057730. #36372180, #45380525 are all replies on the same post.

bben46 wrote:

will I have to pay for the mod?

If the mod is uploaded to Nexus - it will be FREE. Nexus does not charge for any mod and never has. :cool:

However we do require that you actually have a legal and not a pirated version of the games we support to use the site.

CloudQuest wrote: Which means you need both Skyrim AND Morrowind.
LatFranklin wrote: Can you please explain the reason to own a copy of Morrowind?

As far as I know all assets were redone so what is the legal reason to insist on owning Morrowind? (It is not a problem for me because I own the TES anthology but I can't find a real explanation for your requirement.)

If you don't use the original assets and don't call the outcome of your work "Morrowind" Beth wouldn't own any copyright on anything in it (except maybe some other names, I would have to look that up...).

The situation is the same like MacDonald's can't forbid Burgerking sell quite the same burgers as long as they don't use the same names. Nobody owns the rights on the idea of a burger!

Anybody is free to use the ideas behind TES. All that Beth owns are at most a few naming rights. If you would rename these parts that are covered by trademarks it's legally absolut ok to place something in the TES universe. Nobody can actually do anything about that. That's a fact.

Edit: I'm asking out of curiosity. I would even buy a modern remake of Morrowind although I have a legal copy of the original. I really loved that game and am extremely excited about Skywind! Can't barely wait for the release!

Game Engines are the dynamic cores of games. The physics and graphical engines are, like a book, owned as copyright by the programmers who built them or the companies they worked for.

TES Renewal DOES NOT re-write the core engines of the games.

Think of it this way: I pimp up your car but it is still YOUR ENGINE, that you purchased from your own work. So, without the base engines, Skywind and Skyblivion would not exist.

On the other hand, Policy is like medicinal alcohol in hospitals. Medicinal spirit, requires at least 2 minutes of continuous contact to kill mere weak bacteria, and does nothing to some tough fubgi or a few viruses. Why still use it, then ? Best policy system. It is a safer bet to use some disinfectant, albeit half-effective, than none at all.

Same way, the safer way is to collaborate with Bethesda, rather than be at odds. Bethesda has the legal power to strip Skywind of everything Elder Scrolls related since it owns copyright.

Both sides are being diplomatic, TES Renewal sleeps peacefully at night and Bethesda makes more money.

Wars are only good in video-games.

Now, why own a bethesda product to play an expansion on it ? Lion's share, as simple as that.

But think lf it this way, wouldn't YOU have the same position if you put in the amount of work both Bethesda teams put in these games ?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36057730. #36372180, #45380525, #45521955 are all replies on the same post.

bben46 wrote:

If the mod is uploaded to Nexus - it will be FREE. Nexus does not charge for any mod and never has. :cool:

However we do require that you actually have a legal and not a pirated version of the games we support to use the site.

LatFranklin wrote: Can you please explain the reason to own a copy of Morrowind?

As far as I know all assets were redone so what is the legal reason to insist on owning Morrowind? (It is not a problem for me because I own the TES anthology but I can't find a real explanation for your requirement.)

If you don't use the original assets and don't call the outcome of your work "Morrowind" Beth wouldn't own any copyright on anything in it (except maybe some other names, I would have to look that up...).

The situation is the same like MacDonald's can't forbid Burgerking sell quite the same burgers as long as they don't use the same names. Nobody owns the rights on the idea of a burger!

Anybody is free to use the ideas behind TES. All that Beth owns are at most a few naming rights. If you would rename these parts that are covered by trademarks it's legally absolut ok to place something in the TES universe. Nobody can actually do anything about that. That's a fact.

Edit: I'm asking out of curiosity. I would even buy a modern remake of Morrowind although I have a legal copy of the original. I really loved that game and am extremely excited about Skywind! Can't barely wait for the release!
ShadowSought wrote: Game Engines are the dynamic cores of games. The physics and graphical engines are, like a book, owned as copyright by the programmers who built them or the companies they worked for.

Think of it this way: I pimp up your car but it is still YOUR ENGINE, that you purchased from your own work. So, without the base engines, Skywind and Skyblivion would not exist.

On the other hand, Policy is like medicinal alcohol in hospitals. Medicinal spirit, requires at least 2 minutes of continuous contact to kill mere weak bacteria, and does nothing to some tough fubgi or a few viruses. Why still use it, then ? Best policy system. It is a safer bet to use some disinfectant, albeit half-effective, than none at all.

Same way, the safer way is to collaborate with Bethesda, rather than be at odds. Bethesda has the legal power to strip Skywind of everything Elder Scrolls related since it owns copyright.

Both sides are being diplomatic, TES Renewal sleeps peacefully at night and Bethesda makes more money.

Now, why own a bethesda product to play an expansion on it ? Lion's share, as simple as that.

But think lf it this way, wouldn't YOU have the same position if you put in the amount of work both Bethesda teams put in these games ?

Oh, and, theory and practice say: in theory, you do something illegal by owning pirated games.
in practice, no one has the manpower to properly police this phenomenon, so, like a good Bosmeri thief, just say you own legal copies and be done with it.

Yes, I did read above that you do, in fact own the legal copies,
i'm simply saying those who do steal shouldn't fuss about lying.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
In response to post #36057730. #36372180, #45380525, #45521955, #45522140 are all replies on the same post.

bben46 wrote:

ShadowSought wrote: Game Engines are the dynamic cores of games. The physics and graphical engines are, like a book, owned as copyright by the programmers who built them or the companies they worked for.

ShadowSought wrote: Oh, and, theory and practice say: in theory, you do something illegal by owning pirated games.
in practice, no one has the manpower to properly police this phenomenon, so, like a good Bosmeri thief, just say you own legal copies and be done with it.

Yes, I did read above that you do, in fact own the legal copies,
i'm simply saying those who do steal shouldn't fuss about lying.

So it doesn't replace one game or the other? I was thinking maybe Skywind might replace Skyrim or something to that effect...I mean; since it uses the Skyrim engine..hopefully I'm wrong because this looks completely boss

sorry but I really don't want to go reading through everything below - just a quick question, with SE out will this mod/DLC be put on hold - and when can we expect it to come out?

Do I need to also have Morrowind installed on my pc? I have the whole combo box from first game of Arena to last, except Dawnguard was bought separately as I think it was the last DLC - but I have not loaded Morrowind or Oblivion and their expansions on - so would I need to?

Edited by Bridgitte01

• 1 month later...
In response to post #50359047.

Mrjimmj wrote: I really hope i can help,but i have no skill in such thing
Hope skywind finish soon,i'am tired of waiting

with the release of bruma by beyond skyrim this mod is def left behind at least they show their progress instead of letting us all hang Edited by theweezel123

• 2 months later...