Various Nexus related things from the Skyrim SE launch aftermath

Dark0ne

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this affect the NMM tool itself, and if so, how? A few days ago, suspiciously close to the time where SE launched, my NMM stopped working. Completely and totally. Click on the icon, run as administrator, run directly from executable, nothing works - I get a half-second-long load icon, no splash screen, and that's it. I've tried to download the newest version (I was a few behind, the version just before the big migration where everything had to be uninstalled then reinstalled by the tool), but the site says, "We're sorry, we're having trouble with the NMM download location. Please download manually. We're sorry for the inconvenience!"

Problem is, manual download doesn't seem to be doing anything. I run it, it installs, NMM still doesn't work. About a week later, and I still haven't found a fix despite multiple pleas for help everywhere I can post. And just before NMM jumped off a cliff, I'd accidentally uninstalled a very script intensive mod before disabling it in-game, so now my game is VERY unstable and I've no way of fixing it, and I'm in desperate need of help. In short, is this tool failure due at least in part to the SE launch?

In response to post #44123740. #44124255, #44128340, #44132470, #44136065 are all replies on the same post.

CaptainSparkelz wrote: Why won't you guys upgrade your servers instead of shutting them down as soon as the load gets too high? For over a week now I've been unable to enjoy the convenience of downloading mods via NMM all because you keep shutting the servers down.

If it's a money issue I understand, but since your servers are sort of the most important thing that you currently own when it comes to maintaining your services. Logically that is where your priorities should lie.
Ethreon wrote: Did you really post this nonsense?
Dark0ne wrote: The issue isn't actually with the servers perse, it's with our code. So what we really need is more time, rather than more servers.
CaptainSparkelz wrote: Ahh, alright, I understand. Know that I wasn't trying to be a prick or anything with this, it's just I can get a little impatient sometimes. I appreciate the work you guys all do though, so don't take this post the wrong way.
slbrgt wrote: Let me start by saying that I really appreciate the work done by those who manage these nexus sites. It’s definitely the best thing that happened for modders and mod users of the supported games. I understand that the massive interest for SkyrimSE mods presents some challenges for hardware and software. On the other hand I also understand the OP’s message. It’s frustrating and annoying that still today it’s virtually impossible (for me in any case) to connect to nexus and download SkyrimSE mods. With the exception of hours when most people are either working or sleeping.

From what I gathered you can just download the mods manually and add them to nmm. simply add manually then choose the mod rar/zip file. Then when nmm will let you log in again you can update the ID of the mod.

That's how I think it works at least, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Edit: Also totally offtopic but a delete button for comments would be awesome. Edited by Meatster

In response to post #44140035.

Vokuun wrote: Does this affect the NMM tool itself, and if so, how? A few days ago, suspiciously close to the time where SE launched, my NMM stopped working. Completely and totally. Click on the icon, run as administrator, run directly from executable, nothing works - I get a half-second-long load icon, no splash screen, and that's it. I've tried to download the newest version (I was a few behind, the version just before the big migration where everything had to be uninstalled then reinstalled by the tool), but the site says, "We're sorry, we're having trouble with the NMM download location. Please download manually. We're sorry for the inconvenience!"
Problem is, manual download doesn't seem to be doing anything. I run it, it installs, NMM still doesn't work. About a week later, and I still haven't found a fix despite multiple pleas for help everywhere I can post. And just before NMM jumped off a cliff, I'd accidentally uninstalled a very script intensive mod before disabling it in-game, so now my game is VERY unstable and I've no way of fixing it, and I'm in desperate need of help. In short, is this tool failure due at least in part to the SE launch?

The effect on NMM should only be the "D ownload With Manager" option of NMM. It shouldn't be causing you any other problems. Perhaps users might not get update notifications about their installed mods but so far it has worked for me and others I know.

I don't know what your issue is with NMM not launching or working and your case is the only one I have heard of doing this.

The first thing I would do is backup the entire folder(s) and make sure they are safe just in case something else happens and does more damage. Then perhaps try to uninstall/clean up the NMM and install fresh. Direct them to your old virtual drive etc and hope for the best.. When you do remove NMM make sure you use something that can clean it up like ccleaner etc. Not sure if it is needed but couldn't hurt. I mention this because you didn't mention you uninstalled NMM only that you downloaded and installed it. This isn't normally needed because NMM is smart enough to clean up after itself but since you are having problems... it might be needed. again risky and I am not sure of the results or if there is a better way.

I am giving some advice because you haven't been able to get any assistance so far. Hopefully someone with more experience with NMM can chime in with a more precise fix for your issue. Best of luck Edited by rblood01

In response to post #43704355. #43704855, #43705060, #43705660, #43705780, #43706130, #43706985, #43708130, #43726865, #43728095, #43728415, #43729040, #43730410, #43731650, #43735705, #43755265, #43755795, #43756055, #43756340, #43766510, #43769825, #43822140, #43823245, #43824300, #43867075, #43883480, #44128840, #44132065 are all replies on the same post.

ThyHarrowing wrote: ***************************************************************
Just something I'd like to share for new and returning Nexus users regarding SSE and its future, coming from a user just like you:

We, the community, need to be very patient and respectful as modders navigate this exciting but turbulent time brought on by SSE. There are many hurtles that modders will need to jump, some more than others, to bring their original Skyrim content to SSE, as well as some things many of them need to wait for (e.g. SKSE to be rewritten for SSE, etc). We need to be respectful and appreciative of their efforts and time, not only because of what they do for us, but also because if we are not then some of them, understandably so, may leave the SSE modding scene (as some of them left the original Skyrim scene). If that begins to happen then there is, in my opinion, no chance that SSE will surpass original Skyrim (even despite 64-bit, Dx11, etc).

Let us not forget the Nexus staff either! The guys who work around the clock, particularly during heavy traffic times like this, who make it all possible. Skyrim wouldn't be what it is without the modders but if it weren't for the incredible people running The Nexus what many of us have come to take for granted would have never been possible in the first place! They have worked just as hard as Skyrim's modders and I feel that they get the short-end of the stick, in terms of appreciation, because the focus is often directly on modding/modders of Skyrim, not so much on the site that hosts them. So we must also be appreciative and respectful of the Nexus staff, especially now more than ever as they are currently experiences higher volumes of site traffic than ever before and have a lot of work cut out for them to manage this situation brought on by SSE.

Spread that message/sentiment far and wide around the community because it is a very real possibility that SSE could splinter this community more than it will breathe new life into it; the deciding factor is, in my opinion, ultimately how we, the community, treat the modders and Nexus staff that have gone to such lengths to make Skyrim what is today!

THANK YOU to all modders, you guys and gals are amazing people! AND HUUUUGE thanks to the entire Nexus Mods and Mod Manager team for everything you do. This community and game certainly wouldn't be what it is without you guys too!
cRunchTM76 wrote: I agree with and mirror your statements :thumbsup:
Rebel47 wrote: I always love reading your essays (sorry did I say essays, I meant posts ;) )

I do fully agree with your points though, many of the mods I have grown to love over the years have lost their original author through one way or another, It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks we need to band together as a community and work to heal the rift that has been made by the past misjudgements of others.
ThyHarrowing wrote: HAHAHA, nice to see you again Rebel! It's been awhile, I've barely touched Skyrim/modding in a couple years besides periodic check-ins lol. Yeah I'm back so look forward to more essays!

Sent you a PM btw
luvboox wrote: Well said.
knctrnl wrote: Thanks for the info, it all makes sense now. Skyrim SE draws a bit of a crowd for sure. on the other hand good stress test for the servers. Good luck and keep up the awesomeness...
wigpidgeon wrote: Agreed! Skyrim and the modding community wouldn't be what it is today without the Nexus guys!
thunderlord2200 wrote: fun

i agree i could not play skyrim base or fallout with out this site and there love for making mods and helping out. i wish i could help out and support or pay monthly but i really dont have the money.. i am unable to work.
ThyHarrowing wrote: Thankfully from what I have seen the good vibes users are sending to the Nexus staff and modders have outweighed the bad... Let's keep it going!
alt3rn1ty wrote: "There are many hurtles that modders will need to jump" ..

.. special obstacles for turtles ??? :P
AegisOfAuriel wrote: how do we get this to run offline? nmm wont even open :(

wARzdrun wrote: Thanks for the effort to all of you.
signaltome wrote: Respect and all thanks to all that can do what they do both here at the Nexus and the modders out there. If we can't be patient and wait (the SE of Skyrim was officially out just a day or so ago remember?) then we do not deserve to be here.

The Skyrim (original) modding community was not built over night, all the best mods came months and years later. If I read correctly the new CK will come next week and the SKSE will probably not be long after by what I have heard, though give them time.

I love this site, I love mods and though I sadly have no talent for creating anything relevant, I do not feel I have the right to complain either. Most of the people making things also have a life and do mods out of love in their spare time. Respec them!

Kudos and could not agree more with the statement above. Have a great day and have fun with your new Skyrim!
hedgy814 wrote: True dat man, shout out for the Nexus Staff
fredlaus wrote: Hear, hear!
ThyHarrowing wrote: @ signaltome

If I read correctly the new CK will come next week and the SKSE will probably not be long after by what I have heard

Correct, the new CK will be out next week but we don't really have an accurate idea as to when SKSE will be re-written as far as I'm aware. It won't be too long in the grand scheme of things I'm sure. What will really be a nail biter is what happens with SkyUI/MCM since Schlangster said he won't be doing the legwork for updating it. We were all spoiled for so long with MCM that it would be unbearable to go back to using in-game settings books and dialogue menus for users and mod authors alike so I think that at some point somebody will step up and do the legwork for Schlangster but the quesiton is... when?
Rebel47 wrote: SKSE will be a while honestly since they'd have to recompile it in x64 and not x86 now, but it should still be here at some point, maybe not this year though, who knows.
Zageron wrote: Well said. Thank you.
Wintermane555 wrote: This works very well for me;

https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/releases/
ThyHarrowing wrote: @Rebel

Hmm, I knew it would be pretty involved to rewrite it for x64 but I honestly didn't think we would be looking at that long of a wait. Is that a guess or did you find some info on it?
Rebel47 wrote: Skyrim Script Extender page has a small notice on the top stating that it will not be a quick and easy process since they have to adapt to many changes and all of them will have to be investigated on a case by case basis, for word by word reference click here

Also there is this informative post from behippo on Beth net forums click here

All of this and the other discussions I've had with members of other gaming communities implies that this will be a long drawn out process but time will tell if that ends up being the case.
ThyHarrowing wrote: Thanks for the info.
ErikRedbeard wrote: For SKSE look at fallout 4 and the status of it there since the engine is now pretty similar to that.
I'm expecting a pretty similar SseKSE as F4SE is due to that fact.

So no current SKSE can't just be converted to x64. It's either a remake from scratch or a conversion from F4SE.
ThyHarrowing wrote: @ErikRedbeard

Actually, upon doing some more reading (directly from the SKSE team on Reddit) SSE is somewhere in the middle of Skyrim and F4, slightly more on the Skyrim side of the continuum. So adapting SKSE to SSE will actually not be that much like F4SE; in other words, once they finish F4SE it won't be a super quick adaptation from there to SSE.

I forget the post date of what I read but it couldn't have been
more than a few days ago... it said they have 1 guy working on F4SE and 1 guy doing some preliminary stuff for the SSE SKSE. And I think it said there was 1 guy assisting with both but I might be wrong on that. Sorry if I got that part wrong, I was in a hurry while I was reading those posts.

They did also say that they would prioritize rewriting all the hooks that are used in the functionality of some of the top mods out for SSE so that those mods can again be fully featured as soon as possible. The less frequently used hooks will follow in later releases of SSE SKSE I assume.

Anyway, bottom-line: it is gonna be A LOT of work and we should not get our hopes up for it being released any time soon. We just need to be patient and supportive. These guys rock and they'll get it to us as soon as they possibly can!
mistermaster wrote: yeah i guess this is due to the fact that skyrim se still uses the same script engine as the original.. this will make it a little easier.. at least i hope so.. but on the other hand the script extender for f4 seems to be a nightmare for them.. i don't play fallout myself but i heard that the script extender is still in alpha after a very long time and lots of stuff still doesn't work.. i guess it's really hard to bring it to the same functionality as skse in the original game had with the new architecture of the game engine and/or updated script engine.. we will see how long it takes.. it will take a while for sure so the beginning of the sse modding will be just as the release of the original when there was no skse and some of the geniuses got a really deep look into the game and found out how the game really works.. i mean what would have skyrim modding been without things like shesons memory patch or boris enboost and enb series and yes also the mcm from skyui.. i guess some mods will take quite a while to be ported over, some will never come but there is one thing i know about the best modding community in the world: someone will take over a project like skyui or bring us an alternative.. maybe it will take a while but i am sure modding the sse will be just as much fun for me as the original.. well more likely even more.. we all know how good a modded skyrim runs sometimes xD (for me like 450 mods, 256 plugins, enb) ctds every now and then are unavoidable.. i think this will be far better with the remaster..
THANK YOU bethesda for making the remaster, THANK YOU nexus for giving us this website, THANK YOU mod authors for letting me have fun with this game like 1000 hours without getting bored, making my game look great and so much more enjoyable to play, THANK YOU everyone working on tools like tes5edit, bodyslide, skse, fnis, loot and mod managers for giving modders and mod users the possibilitys for some of the great stuff in the first place and make everyones lifes so much easier.. THANK YOU boris for your enbseries.. you gave skyrim some great effects that wouldn't be possible without your hard work.. without ALL of you skyrim wouldn't have been what it is now..
i guess the only game i spend nearly as much time with was oblivion..
but then reading things like bethesda would be greedy for making the remaster and charge 60 bucks for it on consoles makes me sad.. bethesda did it cause people wanted it.. they give it for free to the pc users.. what game developer would do that? i bought the remaster and all dlcs as when they were released and that was like 100 bucks.. but it was so worth it.. i spent so much time in skyrim.. other games like rise of the tomb raider costed me 60 when released and i played it on all difficulties within 70 hours.. for me skyrim was the game with the best price/reward factor EVER! i spent almost 1000 hours in skyrim as i said and there is still things i never heard of and quests i never did, items i never found and so on.. i'm really grateful for all the great time i had with this game and all the people who worked so hard to make this awesome game even better..
have a nice week all of you! :)
maxine24610 wrote: I like you still play SkyrimV and i have over 10.000 Hours up I am still trying to find all the hidden places in SkyrimV. This game is my Favorite. I turned 71 last year and still love Skyrim V.
ThyHarrowing wrote: Sounds like the perfect retirement!
Spacedroner wrote: @OP
Agreed. Patience and gratitude are required right now, things aren't going to happen overnight, but I have every confidence that it'll only get better.

Agreed, but don't forget respect and manners goes both ways. Always try to be the better man folks, I know it's hard and nobody's perfect ( unlike preston garvey, damn goody-two shoe), but in the end it's worth the effort. Edited by Meatster

In response to post #44123950. #44128140 is also a reply to the same post.

shiftmaster21 wrote: Is this for all other games? cause as far as i've seen skyrim re only allows mods through bethesda.com, so none of that should be transferred to the nexus right?
UhuruNUru wrote: You know nothing, Bethesda couldn't stop us, even if they actually wanted to.
Most modders never use the in game manager, it's rubbish.
We just bypass that trash, and use something much better.

With old Skyrim that was Mod Organizer, and as it's creator, Tannin, is now the lead dev for a new NMM, we'll have to see what he can do for SE, in the future.

Modding is about taking control of the game, and doing exactly what you want.
Regardless of what the publisher, or developer says, or tries to stop.

They are outnumbered, and no matter what they do, a modder will get round it.
Look at how many mods Dragon Age Inquisitionm has, and EA tried to make modding that game impossible, but failed, in the end.

BGS actively encourages modding, which means accepting, that each user can control our own games.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place"

In response to post #44123740. #44124255, #44128340, #44132470, #44136065, #44140995 are all replies on the same post.

CaptainSparkelz wrote: Why won't you guys upgrade your servers instead of shutting them down as soon as the load gets too high? For over a week now I've been unable to enjoy the convenience of downloading mods via NMM all because you keep shutting the servers down.

If it's a money issue I understand, but since your servers are sort of the most important thing that you currently own when it comes to maintaining your services. Logically that is where your priorities should lie.
Ethreon wrote: Did you really post this nonsense?
Dark0ne wrote: The issue isn't actually with the servers perse, it's with our code. So what we really need is more time, rather than more servers.
CaptainSparkelz wrote: Ahh, alright, I understand. Know that I wasn't trying to be a prick or anything with this, it's just I can get a little impatient sometimes. I appreciate the work you guys all do though, so don't take this post the wrong way.
slbrgt wrote: Let me start by saying that I really appreciate the work done by those who manage these nexus sites. It’s definitely the best thing that happened for modders and mod users of the supported games. I understand that the massive interest for SkyrimSE mods presents some challenges for hardware and software. On the other hand I also understand the OP’s message. It’s frustrating and annoying that still today it’s virtually impossible (for me in any case) to connect to nexus and download SkyrimSE mods. With the exception of hours when most people are either working or sleeping.
Meatster wrote: From what I gathered you can just download the mods manually and add them to nmm. simply add manually then choose the mod rar/zip file. Then when nmm will let you log in again you can update the ID of the mod.

That's how I think it works at least, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Edit: Also totally offtopic but a delete button for comments would be awesome.

If there were deletable comments then nobody could be held accountable for anything they said, posts like CaptainSparkelz's up there would disappear as soon as they started getting negative feedback, and most arguments would vaporize after or before their conclusions, restricting the contenders and readers from learning from them.
Short version: Anything we put on the internet becomes the internet's property, posts included.
Edit: Then again there's an edit button and that's pretty close. Edited by Voldearag

hi sorry to spam like alot of peeps. perhaps it's already posted but i dont want to read through 52 pages lol. I saw in the OP that the site is having issues cuz of alot of activity, but I seem to not be able to log into NMM keeps saying the servers are off line, overpopulated or they cannot be reached. is this what's going? I saw somewhere that it's just nmm but i kinda need it cuz idk how to install without the mod manager. thanks for yalls time and keep up the good work!

hi sorry to spam like a lot of peeps. perhaps it's already posted but i dont want to read through 52 pages lol. I saw in the OP that the site is having issues cuz of a lot of activity, but I seem to not be able to log into NMM keeps saying the servers are off line, overpopulated or they cannot be reached. is this what's going? I saw somewhere that it's just nmm but i kinda need it cuz idk how to install without the mod manager. thanks for yalls time and keep up the good work!

yes the NMM servers are down. the mods can be dropped in the NMM mod folder after you manually download them. just find NMM on your computer and find where it stores them. also most mods have readme's that explain how to manually install... though using the manager will be easier.

In response to post #44123950. #44128140, #44141640 are all replies on the same post.

shiftmaster21 wrote: Is this for all other games? cause as far as i've seen skyrim re only allows mods through bethesda.com, so none of that should be transferred to the nexus right?
UhuruNUru wrote: You know nothing, Bethesda couldn't stop us, even if they actually wanted to.
Most modders never use the in game manager, it's rubbish.
We just bypass that trash, and use something much better.

With old Skyrim that was Mod Organizer, and as it's creator, Tannin, is now the lead dev for a new NMM, we'll have to see what he can do for SE, in the future.

Modding is about taking control of the game, and doing exactly what you want.
Regardless of what the publisher, or developer says, or tries to stop.

They are outnumbered, and no matter what they do, a modder will get round it.
Look at how many mods Dragon Age Inquisitionm has, and EA tried to make modding that game impossible, but failed, in the end.

BGS actively encourages modding, which means accepting, that each user can control our own games.
Meatster wrote: "Cut off one head and two more shall take its place"

hail HYDRA!