Donation Points Stats and No Ads for Mod Authors

BigBizkit

I was pleasantly surprised that for once nexus did return something back to mod makers not making enough big download numbers as modding not top-popular games, it seemed too good to be true. Now I realized, hide the generic ads but pester us more than before with "buy the Nexus special" LOL. What a joke

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #75782248.

abot wrote: I was pleasantly surprised that for once nexus did return something back to mod makers not making enough big download numbers as modding not top-popular games, it seemed too good to be true. Now I realized, hide the generic ads but pester us more than before with "buy the Nexus special" LOL. What a joke

And this is why I still use ublock on this site :)

In response to post #75781843.

steve40 wrote:

Arguably, the membership and Vortex "ads" are Public Service Announcements, not commercial advertising.

There is and always has been a small banner on the bottom of every mod page that advertises their "Premium" service.
A full page Ad for a Premium service which offers higher download speeds is not a Public Service Announcement particularly when we were obviously presented that option when we purchased the "Ad-Free" "Supporter" option.

While I interpret "ad-free" in the context of Nexus to mean "no third-party advertising", I can see why some would be annoyed by the ads (yes, I concede that they are) for premium membership on the download pages etc. It's clear that the definition of "ad-free for supporters/mod authors" etc needs to be revised, and ideally, less intrusive advertising of paid services for Supporters/mod authors would be the way to go, given the original promise of "ad-free" with no fine print.

They are not PSAs, they are blatant ads. I'd never use Vortex because of it, and if I ever had, I'd find some cracked version on-line that doesn't have them (or maybe you'd just have to block some hosts or w/e). Do not guilt-trip us into buying something we don't need, guys.

In response to post #75781843.

steve40 wrote:

Arguably, the membership and Vortex "ads" are Public Service Announcements, not commercial advertising.

There is and always has been a small banner on the bottom of every mod page that advertises their "Premium" service.

A full page Ad for a Premium service which offers higher download speeds is not a Public Service Announcement particularly when we were obviously presented that option when we purchased the "Ad-Free" "Supporter" option.

While I interpret "ad-free" in the context of Nexus to mean "no third-party advertising", I can see why some would be annoyed by the ads (yes, I concede that they are) for premium membership on the download pages etc. It's clear that the definition of "ad-free for supporters/mod authors" etc needs to be revised, and ideally, less intrusive advertising of paid services for Supporters/mod authors would be the way to go, given the original promise of "ad-free" with no fine print.

They are not PSAs, they are blatant ads. I'd never use Vortex because of it, and if I ever had, I'd find some cracked version on-line that doesn't have them (or maybe you'd just have to block some hosts or w/e). Do not guilt-trip us into buying something we don't need, guys.

"Vortex ads" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Guest deleted34304850

A "cracked" version of Vortex, which is 100% open source? Could you elaborate on that particular snippet of absolute gubbins please, and clarify whatever point you're trying to make here?

Ok, let's follow those definitions, completely. If you are supporter then you must have an ad-free experience, that is not be presented with any advertisement at all, advertisement is "the action of calling something to the attention of the public". Mods are being advertised on the site and must therefore be removed for supporters, right?. Supporters should see no mods in the Nexus then, just a blank front page?

Obviously not, because dictionary definitions are useless and irrelevant in this discussion. You want "Ad-free" to include the promotion of premium membership but still be advertised mods when you use the site. That's fine, but as arbitrary as any other interpretation, and, more importantly, it seems to be a different interpretation than the Nexus and some other people have, myself included, when I paid supporter my understanding of what I was buying was clear and seems to match perfectly what I've got. I certainly didn't expect it to remove any promotion of premium membership for the site, full page or not full page. The logical way to remove that is to buy a premium membership. And I also didn't expect it would remove banners for their own mod manager.

Maybe the time to seek clarification of definitions was before buying, instead of making assumptions then and demands now, just a thought.

Edited by FrankFamily

Ok, let's follow those definitions, completely. If you are supporter then you must have an ad-free experience, that is not be presented with any advertisement at all, advertisement is "the action of calling something to the attention of the public". Mods are being advertised on the site and must therefore be removed for supporters, right?. Supporters should see no mods in the Nexus then, just a blank front page?

Obviously not, because dictionary definitions are useless and irrelevant in this discussion. You want "Ad-free" to include the promotion of premium membership but still be advertised mods when you use the site. That's fine, but as arbitrary as any other interpretation, and, more importantly, it seems to be a different interpretation than the Nexus and some other people have, myself included, when I paid supporter my understanding of what I was buying was clear and seems to match perfectly what I've got. I certainly didn't expect it to remove any promotion of premium membership for the site, full page or not full page. The logical way to remove that is to buy a premium membership. And I also didn't expect it would remove banners for their own mod manager.

Maybe the time to seek clarification of definitions was before buying, instead of making assumptions then and demands now, just a thought.

Please re-read the portion of your statement I highlighted in green. If that sentence is correct and I'm not saying it is or is not, then that would mean nothing, not a single word typed by Nexus can be read and interpreted as meaning the same thing it does in common language.

And FYI, "I" have not ever complained or even read a complaint about the small banner and footer ads for Nexus Premium. And "I" am not complaining about "Mods" being advertised because "Mods" are free to download. My complaint is about the 2 new aggressive advertisements now attached to the download pages.

Wow, you've understood nothing I've written. I must be explaining myself poorly.

Dictionary definitions are irrelevant to this discussion precisely common language and interpretation of it is different than dictionaries. What matters when the Nexus says "Ad-free" is (A): What the nexus means by that and (B): what most people interpret from it. As said, what a dictionary says about it is irrelevant. (A) matters because that's what you are going to get and (B) matters because if it doesnt match (A) then the Nexus should change how they are communicating to clarify it for most people.

The thing is, your understanding of language is not the common understanding as far as I can tell. I'm fairly sure a majority of people understand "Ad" to be the same the thing that the Nexus meant, third party advertisement and it obviously doesnt include them trying to get you to buy their premium membership or use their mod managers or the mods themselves, even if by the strict definition of a dictionary it would include all those.

Apparently only a few, you included, supposedly understood "Ad" to include the premium membership annoying window because it bothers you. And then you here are trying to support it applying definitions when its convenient.

Wow, you've understood nothing I've written. I must be explaining myself poorly.

Dictionary definitions are irrelevant to this discussion precisely common language and interpretation of it is different than dictionaries. What matters when the Nexus says "Ad-free" is (A): What the nexus means by that and (B): what most people interpret from it. As said, what a dictionary says about it is irrelevant. (A) matters because that's what you are going to get and (B) matters because if it doesnt match (A) then the Nexus should change how they are communicating to clarify it for most people.

The thing is, your understanding of language is not the common understanding as far as I can tell. I'm fairly sure a majority of people understand "Ad" to be the same the thing that the Nexus meant, third party advertisement and it obviously doesnt include them trying to get you to buy their premium membership or use their mod managers or the mods themselves, even if by the strict definition of a dictionary it would include all those.

Apparently only a few, you included, supposedly understood "Ad" to include the premium membership annoying window because it bothers you. And then you here are trying to support it applying definitions when its convenient.

Thank You @ FrankFamily