Oblivion: Windows 7 vs Windows 10

AllisterHenderson

If anyone is following this, it looks like if you want to use the current Wrye Bash then you NEED to be using Windows 10 (or Windows 8 ) because Wrye Bash version 310 onwards no longer supports Windows 7 because the new Wrye Bash is using an upgraded version of Python that also doesn't support Windows 7. The latest wip-build, v310.202207101026-310RC6, has also further dropped Windows 7 compatibility code. This pretty much ends the debate, unless you are happy using an older version of Wrye Bash (without the up-to-date improvements) with Windows 7.
Don't forget that if using Windows 10 and Oblivion Stutter Remover (OSR) you will need to ensure that bHookCriticalSections = 0, since Windows 10 - Oblivion Optimization mentions on the description page that "Windows 10 released an update that breaks the Critical Sections Fix feature.

It looks like there is a workaround using the latest Wrye Bash with Windows 7, by using an unofficial Python 'fork' that does support Windows 7...... see this for thread for details.

OSR's Critical Sections was reported to be working with Windows 10, here, which contradicts Windows 10 - Oblivion Optimization assessment, however there was another report here, that the latest "KB5015807" Windows 10 update causes Oblivion to fail to start when using either OSR's heap or MoreHeap..... so some more pros & cons to consider.

Edited by AllisterHenderson

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that if using Windows 10 and Oblivion Stutter Remover (OSR) you will need to ensure that bHookCriticalSections = 0, since Windows 10 - Oblivion Optimization mentions on the description page that "Windows 10 released an update that breaks the Critical Sections Fix feature.

I'm using OSR tweaked to work with Windows 10 and Oblivion regularly crashes on startup for me when I launch it for the first time. Launching it a second time works fine. I never knew why this happens but this might be the issue. In my file "bHookCriticalSections" was set to 1.

Hi IcelandicPsychotic, you have a great set of mods by the way..... it's interesting that it is a 'consistent' error for you where you always have to launch Oblivion a 2nd time.... I wonder if setting "bHookCriticalSections" to 0 fixes that for you.