Auto update?

elpuertorro
Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

I have never had a problem with stuff here maybe function wise and stuff but hey, the one thing i will NOT tolerate is Vortex Auto updating without MY SAY in it!!!

I had vortex open in the background browsing and checking some files when all of the sudden windows pops a the screen vortex will update do not shut down the pc and what not....what the hell? it worked great, used to tell you new update is out and let ME decide, please fix this!

I have never had a problem with stuff here maybe function wise and stuff but hey, the one thing i will NOT tolerate is Vortex Auto updating without MY SAY in it!!!

I had vortex open in the background browsing and checking some files when all of the sudden windows pops a the screen vortex will update do not shut down the pc and what not....what the hell? it worked great, used to tell you new update is out and let ME decide, please fix this!

It's already fixed, it's been in Vortex for a few years now.

You have THREE Choices for Updates.

Turn off Automatic Updates if you don't want them.

Vortex-Updates.jpg

Guest deleted34304850

umm, its on YOU to decide if you want to be in the beta channel or not. YOU fix it yourself via settings/update then change update from beta to stable or no automatic updates.

also you are notified that an update is available and you get these options; changelog - see the changes - restart and update or dismiss.

you must have selected restart and update for your update to happen vortex isn't self aware and doesn't decide to update itself without informing/involving the user.

Excuse me why always assume people don't know what they are doing,

To Mr.HadToRegister Yes I KNOW that for a while now and have the setting ON, not only that I make my own theme so yes a little familiar with the settings! I would make a video for you but that would be a waste of time...so look at the attached picture marked it really good for you can't miss it!!

@A1ae0bfb8
That is the REASON to make the post again maybe is the language barrier or i don't know how to explain myself

No warning! I think I was clear on my post, never had that problem and was happy the way it worked which is like you stated, I open vortex if there is an update it let's me know and I make the decision if i want to update or not by clicking on it simple right?

That DID NOT HAPPEN!

As I stated I was browsing and all of the sudden the notification of it updating and to not turn off the pc came up out of no where with only OK as an option, not even cancel.

Having said that now as I was about to open Vortex to take a screen to show HadTo he is WRONG to assume and well you know what they say about that and it wasn't me, but then discovered as you will see in the attachment:

1. No longer pinned to task bar, has been there on this PC since installed and on the previous.
2.Also related the icon is as you can clearly see BLANK, so something happened can't tell you what but something happened and it was related to Vortex 1 way or another, so please help me, help you guys so it doesn't happen again and stop trying to sweep it under the rug or treat it as some user error and not related to vortex because it is directly or indirectly and has to be addressed.
You guys don't see the bigger picture in this do you?

With all the privacy and security concerns now days are you sure my "problem or user error" is something you want to ignore and just leave it to user error or I don't know what I'm doing ... hmmm....ok, At least it will be here posted that i did give notice right away to let you guys know...but then again it's just some dumb user that doesn't know what he is doing so it's ok right MrHadToRegister?

ps: also forgot the main reason for the post was as usual if i think i find something to send if they needed logs or something to figure what it was and such so i can help, but at this point..

Yesterdays update was a stable update. If you're set up to the stable update branch you get auto-updated. That's how it's supposed to work.

And that's how it's always worked, if you're set up to auto-update (which I'd highly recommend) it downloads updates on the corresponding channel automatically and installs them the next time Vortex is quit.

Thank you for the reply Tanning42, that means a lot at least I know you're paying attention and I think and hope you understand I'm coming from a positive place as in I care for this and don't want bad stuff to happen in the future so that's why the concern and if not well that's where I'm coming from, so again thanks for the reply.

So like I said it never happened before to me, yes it would always let me know the update was there but let me do it, but again I'll admit there is always a first for everything right?

But let's put aside for 1 second the way it deploys as you INTENDED and all that, we are missing the part where it auto installed by NO USER interaction or launching/re-launching the program, Vortex was already open for at leat an 1 hr minimum in the background, hence the reason I came in quick as soon as it happen because I know is not a "normal" thing and I know is not something you put in there is not the regular auto- update after you re-open the program, it was triggered by itself.

Imagine if you will you away from the pc listening to music and then the noise of the pop up, out of no where asking not to turn off the pc while something updates and your only option to click was ok.. I swear wish I could have foreseen it and recorded it for you.
Maybe it's a m$ windows thing, but it was with vortex and on the day of the deployment of the new update so just adding them up, again the only thing bothering me is the, me not doing anything to trigger it and it went ahead and did on it's own with no interaction on my part.

Well at this point anything I can submit to help? but I will tell you been using it today and have closed it like 4 times today so don't know if the log stuff you would need is there.

• Solution

As I said: This has been the behavior from the start. Usually you'd get the update notification shortly after you start Vortex, that's where we do the check but it this case, who knows, maybe the server (updates are received from github) was really really slow or you were doing other downloads at the same time?
The notification happens when the update is downloaded, we have no direct control over how long that takes. 1 hr is certainly excessive but again: out of our hands. The only alternative would be to _not_ notify you at all.

But unfortunately if you do shut down your computer, windows will close Vortex, which triggers the update without Vortex even knowing we're doing a shutdown and then Windows at a random time terminates the installer and then you're left with a broken Vortex install.

Point is: Yes, Vortex is supposed to update like this. New version comes out, it gets auto installed the next time you close Vortex, with no further user interaction. A lot of software does that or when was the last time you had to manually confirm an update to Firefox or Chrome for example?

Whether you like it or not: practically all software will move to this pattern. No software company wants to deal with reports about bugs in old version of the software that have long since been fixed or complaints about how the software is affected by security issues, even though they offered a fixed version ages ago.

Let's be realistic here: As a user (heck, even me as a dev), how are you supposed to make an educated decision whether you should install the update and how urgent it is?

This update included an update to the electron backend we use from 11.4.3 to 11.4.8. Here's the changelog for that: https://www.electronjs.org/releases/stable?version=11

By my count that alone contains 34 security bugfixes. Which - if any - affect you, or Vortex in general?

I do get that it sucks to get a sound at a random time but all the alternatives might be so much worse.

Ok i'm going to take off my foil hat and chalk it up to some windows fluke thing.

As in the firefox update thing...well...I'm one of those... yes lol, notify me of updates but I choose when to install them lol.

But ok my concern was more on the big scheme of things with it acting that way, so let's chalk it up to a delayed launch and windows erratic behavior I guess.
Again thank you and hope you do get where i was coming from with this wasn't trying to rant.

But that still leaves me scratching my head with 1 thing, why did it unpin itself from the task bar and why the icon disappeared when I launched it after the incident never did it before...but ok. let's call it a day.

Guest deleted34304850

Your language is was FINE. My bad for not asking you if you were in the BETA or STABLE channel.

I use the BETA channel, which does offer me informational messages that I can choose to ignore if I wish. (I never do, I always install the latest, as I watch the issues llist on Github). If you want to receive a notification before the update hits, you could try that? What's the worst that could happen, right?

However, you seem to be one of those users who have the arrogance to think they know better than software providers as to how/when/what updates go on their systems, so perhaps it's not an ideal option for you. Still, it may be something you'll get a kick out of, because you can choose to ignore available updates and pretend you're Neo sticking it to the man.

Your language is was FINE. My bad for not asking you if you were in the BETA or STABLE channel.

I use the BETA channel, which does offer me informational messages that I can choose to ignore if I wish. (I never do, I always install the latest, as I watch the issues llist on Github). If you want to receive a notification before the update hits, you could try that? What's the worst that could happen, right?

However, you seem to be one of those users who have the arrogance to think they know better than software providers as to how/when/what updates go on their systems, so perhaps it's not an ideal option for you. Still, it may be something you'll get a kick out of, because you can choose to ignore available updates and pretend you're Neo sticking it to the man.

Wow first part so good, second part you just went completly off the rails, just because i have some special needs and situations that can not let my computer just dl what ever it wants when it wants even if it's updates because a have very specific situations that i do not need to explain to you.

But at the end of the day it comes down to USER CONTROL. My machine, my control i install or not install what i want be it to my benefit or detriment But NO ONE OR THING will tell me how or what to do or take control out my hands from my stuff!! I CHOOSE! if you well just go along and trust all and everything good for you, that's you and how you live and kudos to you, but don't try to get on your high horse judging people when all i come in was reporting a finding which I thought would bring problems so i apologize for caring but also on a selfish level it can really wreck my daily life quite a bit.

Again another person who assumes and well...

Just so you can learn something new today about judgment and assumptions

I'll explain why i cant let my machine just install stuff

You see unlike probably you as i'm not going to assume here, I'm handicapped and use pedals and systems and software to control my pc that are not mainstream and well not the normal way you would control it, so you see my attachments are very sensitive to updates because well my community doesn't have the resources to have engineers on top of those programs and their drivers and such that we use for the pedals and macros and other input devices, so you see is not that i'm

one of those users who have the arrogance to think they know better than software providers as to how/when/what updates go on their systems

No sadly is that well in my situation well life pitched me a curve and well I have to swing at it but MY WAY because I have to adapt to it and the situation as I have NO CHOICE in that matter, so then I need to do all that so that way I can have and make my daily living a bit more bearable and with some quality of life and fun with my limited gaming, but thank you non the less. have a great day!