Stairs without Navmesh

aurreth

I have a solution for keeping settlers off my third floor apartment, but I would really like for them to not walk up the stairs to it at all. Would it be possible to produce stairs for settlements without any navmesh, so that the AI wouldn't even try to path up them?

I have a solution for keeping settlers off my third floor apartment, but I would really like for them to not walk up the stairs to it at all. Would it be possible to produce stairs for settlements without any navmesh, so that the AI wouldn't even try to path up them?

Won't help. I "air-gapped" my house in sanctuary. You had to use stairs to get to it, but, I left a gap between the stairs, and the entry to the house, so the navmesh would not be contiguous. Settlers couldn't walk in while I was there, but, they could spawn there when the cell loaded as I approached, or if I fast traveled there.....

Won't help. I "air-gapped" my house in sanctuary. You had to use stairs to get to it, but, I left a gap between the stairs, and the entry to the house, so the navmesh would not be contiguous. Settlers couldn't walk in while I was there, but, they could spawn there when the cell loaded as I approached, or if I fast traveled there.....

I just put in an elevator. And removed the couch, which seems to have been their goal (despite having their own places to sit). I may have to pull the food replicator though, so they don't teleport up for a snack.

I just put in an elevator. And removed the couch, which seems to have been their goal (despite having their own places to sit). I may have to pull the food replicator though, so they don't teleport up for a snack.

I've used elevators as well, yet Preston STILL seemed to think my bedroom was actually his..... :D I would find him there on a regular basis. NOT my idea of the preferred bed-partner. :D

I think you can assign NPCs to certain beds though

True, though I have never done so. :) If the idiots are too stupid to figure out which bed to sleep in..... well, they can just figger it out. That, and the game has a habit of 'forgetting' which settlers are assigned to what, when. It gets tedious reassigning them....

My current structure puts the private quarters on the third floor, with an elevator between 2 and 3 so settlers can't get up there. There are a couple ways to keep the bed there to yourself.

• You can assign Codsworth or some other bot to it. This is probably the easiest way.
  • You can tweak Dogmeat using the console (setpv bCommandable 1 and addkeyword WorkshopAllowCommand) to enable assigning him to things and assign him to the bed (he won't use it, he'll sleep in his doghouse or dog bed or whatever).
  • I tweaked shock collars so putting them on a settler makes him/her work 24/7. Assign one of them to the bed and they'll never use it. (In my raider outposts the slaves, er, "farmers" never stop working :D )

I still would like stairs that settlers can't use though. I was able to hide the elevator in this case, but it wasn't an optimal solution for the build.

• 5 weeks later...

Tried it. Occasionally useful, but not so much in a multi-story building unless your individual floors are very tall. The small ones are only supposed to cover the current story, but they still extend up and down some. For the build I was talking about they extended down enough that they would hit the settlers on the floor below in the head and teleport them away, making a portion of the lower floor unusable. The concrete building set I'm using there does not include the "multistory" wall variant, so there is really no way to make the individual stories taller to fix that problem.