Why are lights so dim in Fallout 4?

hucker75

There are mods that make the lights brighter.

I chalk the dim lights up to infrastructure issues. Lights aren't as bright as they should be, because the power running to them isn't what it should be. The power grid hasn't had any maintenance for 200 years.... so, shouldn't come as a surprise that there are problems. It's a wonder that ANYTHING works at all. :D (and yes, I am using a mod to make the lights brighter. :) )

There are mods that make the lights brighter.

I chalk the dim lights up to infrastructure issues. Lights aren't as bright as they should be, because the power running to them isn't what it should be. The power grid hasn't had any maintenance for 200 years.... so, shouldn't come as a surprise that there are problems. It's a wonder that ANYTHING works at all. :D (and yes, I am using a mod to make the lights brighter. :smile: )

Yeah, we can imagine it's a power problem, but we all know it's a programming error. I've got a brighter lights mod but it didn't do much. I used "brighter settlement lights" which is maybe only for settlements, although I can't see much difference there either. Which one do you have and does it make much difference?

Ok, going back thru my load order, apparently, the brighter lights mod didn't make it into the rotation this time. That would explain why I think the lights are still too dim. :D I think I was getting confused with my No Settlement Lights mod I use, that runs off ALL the lights in settlements. (because you can scrap the light SOURCE, but, you can't scrap the light it emits.....) Or something like that.

There are some 'brighter lights' mods out there, but, they are just in settlements, or specific types of lights. (construction lights, for instance.)

Made for 14 year olds who like spooky lighting. Older players need a mod to increase the brightness of the Pipboy light.

I have perfect eyesight (tested by a professional), despite being 45. I don't play with the room lights off, maybe you're meant to? But that would make daytime outdoors in the game way too bright. I wasn't aware of this being a game of witchcraft, so the spooky thing doesn't make sense, and what would be the point in making it so you can't see the enemy? But what's really illogical is the pipboy light (a handheld thing) being brighter than several roomlights.

Settlement Objects Expansion Pack (SOE) has placeable ambient lights. Wide variety of size, directions, brightness, color, etc. At the most basic you create a sphere that creates ambient light in a radius around it. Hang it in mid air. When you exit build mode the sphere becomes invisible.

I use the them everywhere, because the only other thing that appears to make an adequate amount of light is the basic hanging bare light bulb. With a little creativity you can put the sphere over an existing light to make it appear that a lamp actually gives off light.

Examples: place the sphere shaped emitter over a chandelier so that it actually lights the room. Use the cone shaped ones to point at signs so it looks as if they are illuminated, or at power armor stations that don't have lights built in. Place them over street lights so they actually light streets.

Verrry useful.

Edited by aurreth

Settlement Objects Expansion Pack (SOE) has placeable ambient lights. Wide variety of size, directions, brightness, color, etc. At the most basic you create a sphere that creates ambient light in a radius around it. Hang it in mid air. When you exit build mode the sphere becomes invisible.

I use the them everywhere, because the only other thing that appears to make an adequate amount of light is the basic hanging bare light bulb. With a little creativity you can put the sphere over an existing light to make it appear that a lamp actually gives off light.

Examples: place the sphere shaped emitter over a chandelier so that it actually lights the room. Use the cone shaped ones to point at signs so it looks as if they are illuminated, or at power armor stations that don't have lights built in. Place them over street lights so they actually light streets.

Verrry useful.

Anyone found anything to make the existing lights brighter - as in inside a building you've entered on a quest?