Microsoft Reverses used game drm and always Online

Thor.

haha oh M$. i wont buy one just purely out of principle. they already thought they could pull that stuff over on us. they even tried to act all tough about it. now they are back peddling up their own butts. they can even drop the price down to $400 or less and i still wouldnt get one.

there is still the Spynect they have attached.

besides, this could all be a ploy to boost sales, then put all that DRM back in in patches. theyve already thought they could pull that crap off. nothing is stopping them from trying again in different, less noticeable ways. if they truly listened to and cared about gamers, they wouldnt have tried any of this in the first place. all this proves is that all they want is money, and realized they were about to not make it. which again, goes back to my point on them just trying to sell the consoles, then put all the DRM back in, where its the same type of DRM or other.

HAH! look at 'em run! If you're going to make a pledge you damn well stick to it. I'm more PO'ed now than if they'd stuck by their word. Gutless, honourless, cowardly are the terms that come to mind.

haha oh M$. i wont buy one just purely out of principle. they already thought they could pull that stuff over on us. they even tried to act all tough about it. now they are back peddling up their own butts. they can even drop the price down to $400 or less and i still wouldnt get one.

there is still the Spynect they have attached.

besides, this could all be a ploy to boost sales, then put all that DRM back in in patches. theyve already thought they could pull that crap off. nothing is stopping them from trying again in different, less noticeable ways. if they truly listened to and cared about gamers, they wouldnt have tried any of this in the first place. all this proves is that all they want is money, and realized they were about to not make it. which again, goes back to my point on them just trying to sell the consoles, then put all the DRM back in, where its the same type of DRM or other.

Pretty much this. Although the always on aspect seems to be less iron-clad than they were trying to say it was, it's still part of their long-term goals and will likely just end up applying these restrictions into those individual games as they go. Making Halo x require cloud computing in order to have "higher" graphics and processor settings for example.

And that is the problem at its root. People no longer trust Microsoft to do the right thing. Between the Windows 8 and now this (and it doesn't matter that it isn't the same people making the same decision...someone still runs that show) there is no faith that Microsoft has its consumers' best interest at heart.

though, all the xbox fanboys who were on the fence are now thinking "oh good. microsoft does listen to us. they do care. now i can get an xbox blah blah blah"

as i said, even if they keep the changes, i wont buy an xbox one simply out of principal for them trying to pull that junk in the first place....this move however, will undoubtedly help their sales.

There's nothing to stop them putting it all back in a firmware "upgrade" once they think they've got enough units in peoples homes.

Knowing them, they'll just sit on it for a year, then release something like an XboxOne+ or Ultimate, or Elite which at face value just has some better hardware but also comes with a component of having to connect to the cloud to make use of most features designed for this hardware. And of course, they would just hide all of this under the light show of a new version of Halo which has some sort of large scale online component. This is Microsoft, they can make you ask for the screwing they give you.