Trying to understand

MajorCyco

indeed it does need to work for ALL of them - it is you, that harps back to skrim in every single post.

the game is irrelevant to my question though. if a list is missing a piece - it should make no difference because as we have been told "its just a list".

however, that is simply not the case, and i'd like to know why.

the answer score to that very simple question remains 0.

No it isn't. You just refuse to acknowledge the answers you're given.

There are multiple parts to a Collection. The list, the installation instructions, the conflict resolution rules, any conflict resolution patches that may be included, possibly more.

Just as with any other list you might find on a website, the list part is just a series of links to the file download pages. That is the part that they are saying justifies the "no opt-out" rule. You can't opt out of any other list, so you can't opt out of this one. That is simply to make sure that Nexus Collections isn't immediately less useful than other types of lists like Wabbajack.

The installation instructions probably don't matter in terms of deletions. You can't install what you can't download.

But other aspects do matter in terms of file deletions. For one, as mentioned above, their most popular games have file dependencies. Removing one file results in others not functioning. And this includes custom conflict resolution patches made for the Collection.

The conflict resolution rules do matter when it comes to deletions since not having all the files would break the CR rules for Collection.

So that's the answer. Two different rules for different parts of the Collection because the Collection consists of more than one thing.

You can continue to claim you haven't been given an answer, but you're just lying about that.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good

Enjoy your life!

Hope you can find activity or hobby that you enjoy doing since it isn't making modifications to commercial games free for others.

You should not speak about things that you obviously can't understand. I still enjoy modding. I will continue to realize my ideas as I always did. I shared my mods free of charge with you - the users - because i wanted to but not because i created them for you. Which is a small, but significant difference.

Who is a user and who is developer?

What odd mentality to have

us vs them?

Not only that you obviously have no idea about what many mod authors drives yet much less idea you seem to have about computer science. There is never only one solution that works. It is precisely the variety of ways which makes development so exciting.

Good

Enjoy your life!

Hope you can find activity or hobby that you enjoy doing since it isn't making modifications to commercial games free for others.

You should not speak about things that you obviously can't understand. I still enjoy modding. I will continue to realize my ideas as I always did. I shared my mods free of charge with you - the users - because i wanted to but not because i created them for you. Which is a small, but significant difference.

us vs them?

Not only that you obviously have no idea about what many mod authors drives yet much less idea you seem to have about computer science. There is never only one solution that works. It is precisely the variety of ways which makes development so exciting.

Except for the fact that I have actually worked on many projects on github and use to be a minecraft modder using minecraft forge (for which i also did some work fixing the forge patcher to work with new versions of minecraft)

Yes would you teach me?

Maybe teach me the basics of linked lists and hash maps or maybe some mips assembly?

Did you use many pointer references in modding while coding in C?

I need to learn all this computer science stuff as you pointed out I am a user.

You and this... "Us VS Them", mentality is silly.

Edited by TexMex477

Good

Enjoy your life!

us vs them?

Except for the fact that I have actually worked on many projects on github and use to be a minecraft modder using minecraft forge (for which i also did some work fixing the forge patcher to work with new versions of minecraft)

Yes would you teach me?

Maybe teach me the basics of linked lists and hash maps or maybe some mips assembly?

Should I be impressed now? If you're so smart, as you predict, it's only more incomprehensible that you miss the facts.

Yes would you teach me?

Should I be impressed now? If you're so smart, as you predict, it's only more incomprehensible that you miss the facts.

You are the one belittling people on "computer science" knowledge.

While I keep saying there is no "user vs developer"

Edited by TexMex477

Good

Enjoy your life!

us vs them?

Yes would you teach me?

I would point out, that you are doing a fine job of perpetuating that mentality.

Still, one thing that I haven't seen an answer to is, why is the onus of making sure a collection works, being put on mod authors? Shouldn't it be the list author that is responsible for keeping his list up to date, and working? Why are we compromising mod author rights, to cater to list authors?

Using a previous analogy, if some site had instructions, with links, etc, for a specific mod package for some game, and one of those mods gets updated, the LIST AUTHOR then goes thru to make sure that the new version still works well with his list, and updates it as necessary. Now, along comes collections, and the list author puts together a load list, and whatever patches are necessary, uploads it, and he is done. Never needs to touch it ever again, regardless of if some of the mods within it are updated to fix bugs, or whatever.

Why are we catering to list authors? It is MOD authors that provide the content EVERYONE on this site requires. Shall we relegate them to lower importance than a list author? Where is the logic in that?

Yes would you teach me?

I would point out, that you are doing a fine job of perpetuating that mentality.

Still, one thing that I haven't seen an answer to is, why is the onus of making sure a collection works, being put on mod authors? Shouldn't it be the list author that is responsible for keeping his list up to date, and working? Why are we compromising mod author rights, to cater to list authors?

Using a previous analogy, if some site had instructions, with links, etc, for a specific mod package for some game, and one of those mods gets updated, the LIST AUTHOR then goes thru to make sure that the new version still works well with his list, and updates it as necessary. Now, along comes collections, and the list author puts together a load list, and whatever patches are necessary, uploads it, and he is done. Never needs to touch it ever again, regardless of if some of the mods within it are updated to fix bugs, or whatever.

Why are we catering to list authors? It is MOD authors that provide the content EVERYONE on this site requires. Shall we relegate them to lower importance than a list author? Where is the logic in that?

It isn't being put on the mod authors shoulders to make sure list works.

That is why versioning control is being put in.

That is exactly what this is... so you can have older versions of the mod.

If I was to guess it will work similar to the other site I listed does.

Edited by TexMex477

Because it benefits the mod user as much or more than it benefits the list curator. Because the "damage" to mod authors is minor and mostly philosophical.

Because every decision Robin has ever had to make about this site has had to balance the needs/wants of the company with the needs/wants of the user and with the needs/wants/rights of the mod author. And this time the balance has moved away from you for the first time in a long time.

You are the one belittling people on "computer science" knowledge.

While I keep saying there is no "user vs developer"

You should interpret less and read more sensitive. I don't know you and can't know what skills you have. But tbh i really don't care. You try to convey the picture that the solution which Nexus has chosen, is the only one possible. But in fact, it is not and never will be.

Because every decision Robin has ever had to make about this site has had to balance the needs/wants of the company with the needs/wants of the user and with the needs/wants/rights of the mod author. And this time the balance has moved away from you for the first time in a long time.

Indeed, and we know what's best for us.