creativty, motivation, environment relevant for future modding ?

xrayy

uBlock Origin browser extension can hide that obnoxious banner ad on the main page using the DOM element picker, ijs.

I'm confused about this comment:

1 - I'm a Premium. I don't see annoying banners and ads.

2 - What in the world does uBlock, or the whole comment you made, have to to with the topic?

I suspect if you actually saw the ad, it might make more sense, but, don't know for sure, I don't see ads either. :D

I assumed it was is response to the bit about the contest (post a mod maybe win loot). Which would be weird since it would be a local ad. But I don't see ads either, so that's just a guess.

I am also a premium user. I was presented with this huge competition banner. Since I felt it intrusive, I blocked it

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without mod creators the games were long dead. Mod creators fixed the bugs, not bethesda. Mod creators make the game beautiful and interesting, not bethesda.

Skyrim has sold time and time again even on consoles where modding didn't exist for quite some time (it even sold well on the switch as far as I am aware where there isn't any modding). Tons of BGS games tend to sell really well on console. While I do think modding brings longevity, I don't think it's the only thing that should get credit for that. A big part of it is Bethesda, they are the ones who create games that even make us want to mod for them. They make the tools, the foundation we build on. No one would spend a lot of time modding a game they didn't like at least somewhat. So personally, I think BGS deserves credit. Skyrim in my opinion is an amazing game even without mods (at least from my own experience).

Course I do think mod authors do add a lot to these games, and equally deserve praise. So I agree with you on everything else and will even say ... well said.

My first time playing every Bethesda game out there has always been unmodded, I think every one has been really fun. Granted I never played any of them on opening day during patch 1.0.0 etc. I have to give them credit where its due as well. I did however play WoW on opening day, a game that came from one of the larger game developers in the world... for a few decades running. They where pretty well known at the time for having lots of cash a well established concept and a pretty big team to work with and that thing was an unplayable mess that didn't ship with enough servers, crashed incessantly, very poorly balanced with a plethora of other issues that continued for months after release. Some say the fun never ended! So, if thats the bar set by the best and the brightest in the world, I'm not holding a thing against BGS for also having bugs.

The fact that BGS opened their games up for modding and actually embraced it is such a massive thing considering all the developers that wouldn't touch that mess with a 10' pole. I wonder how many people ever considered the fact that so many of the bugs that people complain about where only ever discovered because of access to the CKs and modding. Most games never let you get under the hood far enough to notice, and since there has never been one single game ever released since time began that came without at least some bugs in the code I'm not one bit shocked what people can find when they are allowed to tear a thing apart.

I bet you guys didn't realize when Tik Tac Toe came out it only shipped with 3 lines instead of 4 and of course the uproar over that buggy nonsense of a game was heard the world over in every fiefdom with a trumpet. BUT MOD AUTHORS got a hold of the code and added that additional line and we now have that dear cherished game we've all come to know and love that you can play in the mud.

Thank you mod authors for your noble contribution. If only Nexus had been around at the time. I love mods and modding, I love the idea that you can find a lot of that stuff in one place, I like to call that place the internet. And it really is all in one place, when I find what I'm looking for on Nexus I'm sitting in this chair, when I find what I'm looking for on Steam, I'm sitting in this chair, when I find what I'm looking for elsewhere, I'm sitting in this chair, and this chair doesn't move so I can honestly say its all in one place.

I adore mods, especially those that have house mods to my liking. I myself have struggled and become frustrated with load orders. So I love the idea of collections. What I donât love is what NexusMods did in order to prepare the site for such a tool.

So. To save this site, I think nexus mods needs to a) scrap the archive system; instead, allow mod authors to delete their mods, BUT! Also add functionality to the site to check if mods being uploaded to the site are packaged correctly. If so, let them be uploaded; If not, do not, and send a notification to the uploader to inform him or her. Data management problem solved.

Also, Collections tool better be absolutely kick ass. Like LOOT, except something that works 100% of the time and uses vortex instead of mo2.

Edited by KamariBVB

My first time playing every Bethesda game out there has always been unmodded, I think every one has been really fun. Granted I never played any of them on opening day during patch 1.0.0 etc. I have to give them credit where its due as well. I did however play WoW on opening day, a game that came from one of the larger game developers in the world... for a few decades running. They where pretty well known at the time for having lots of cash a well established concept and a pretty big team to work with and that thing was an unplayable mess that didn't ship with enough servers, crashed incessantly, very poorly balanced with a plethora of other issues that continued for months after release. Some say the fun never ended! So, if thats the bar set by the best and the brightest in the world, I'm not holding a thing against BGS for also having bugs.

The fact that BGS opened their games up for modding and actually embraced it is such a massive thing considering all the developers that wouldn't touch that mess with a 10' pole. I wonder how many people ever considered the fact that so many of the bugs that people complain about where only ever discovered because of access to the CKs and modding. Most games never let you get under the hood far enough to notice, and since there has never been one single game ever released since time began that came without at least some bugs in the code I'm not one bit shocked what people can find when they are allowed to tear a thing apart.

I bet you guys didn't realize when Tik Tac Toe came out it only shipped with 3 lines instead of 4 and of course the uproar over that buggy nonsense of a game was heard the world over in every fiefdom with a trumpet. BUT MOD AUTHORS got a hold of the code and added that additional line and we now have that dear cherished game we've all come to know and love that you can play in the mud.

Thank you mod authors for your noble contribution. If only Nexus had been around at the time. I love mods and modding, I love the idea that you can find a lot of that stuff in one place, I like to call that place the internet. And it really is all in one place, when I find what I'm looking for on Nexus I'm sitting in this chair, when I find what I'm looking for on Steam, I'm sitting in this chair, when I find what I'm looking for elsewhere, I'm sitting in this chair, and this chair doesn't move so I can honestly say its all in one place.

Oh ya, honestly BGS gets way more flack than they deserve when it comes to bugs. I think my only complaint has ever been the crashes, but that as far as I can tell from their most recent games seem to be a thing of the past. Don't think I crashed even once playing Special Edition or Fallout 4.

So. To save this site, I think nexus mods needs to a) scrap the archive system; instead, allow mod authors to delete their mods ...

Also, Collections tool better be absolutely kick ass. Like LOOT, except something that works 100% of the time and uses vortex instead of mo2.

Without the archiving system, there is no way it would work 100% of the time. The archiving system is needed if you want a collection system that functions well enough. With newer games, many mods tend to be updated daily, and without an archiving system, the collection would break every time that happened, till the curator goes through and updates the list. And if one mod introduces an incompatibility with another mod, or bug ... there would be very little the curator could do about it, until it's either fixed or they remove the mod from the collection. Being able to go back a version for mods, is imperative for a good collection system.

@brabbit as the the thread opener i think i should do some moderation and i should read also your posts even if you are on my ignore list.

it really tires me that you still defend a position which is hopelessly wrong. the archiving system is the system nexusmods has chosen but it is not the only way to establish mod packaging. so give up the stupid position that all what nexusmods has done so far was necessary. it was not and it never will be. but even knowing the options they decided to do it their way - in my opinion (and many other opinions) the wrong way. so please stop to argue like the nexusmods way is the only way. it is the way all must go on nexusmods from now on as it seems but it is definitely not the only way!

come out of your archiving bubble and just accept the existence of other options - just not chosen by nexusmods.

as we all know mods are the source or the "mother" of all mod packs. and mods need capable creators. only some of them support the cathedral idea. and all the others ? are irrelevant ?

if that was the thinking of neuxsmods - seems the same as you think - i'm asking you: who will mod in future with fun and motivation under the new conditions, risks and with all the earned responsibilities and the lost edit functions as the mod owner? maybe bearable for mini mods as the ones i offer. i would not upload any big project with many files under the new nexusmods conditions.

it really tires me that you still defend a position which is hopelessly wrong.

I defend it because I disagree with you, and don't think it's "hopelessly" wrong. I just think a lot of you don't actually understand what would be required for a collection system to work well enough. I always keep pointing to minecraft as an example, but I already know you all don't want to hear it. All you want to hear is agreement.

the archiving system is the system nexusmods has chosen but it is not the only way to establish mod packaging

As far as I am aware, no one has provided an alternative way in doing this that doesn't have problems. The reason the archiving system works best is because a curator needs access to older versions of mods in order to maintain the collection properly. Without having those older versions, it means anytime something goes wrong with a single mod, they would either have to wait for it to get fixed (while in the meantime the collection is no longer working) or they would have to remove the mod from the collection till it's fixed. Mind you, depending on the mod and collection, removing it might not be an option. Now consider for newer games where mod creation is occurring constantly, and updates are released daily. How would anyone physically be able to keep up? We are not just talking about updating the mods in the collection and releasing it. No, curating a collection properly entails testing it too. And having to do that every single day in a list that may contain 100s of mods, just isn't feasible if you want the system to work well. Plus again, the moment one mod runs into an issue, then what? It's not a good collection system if they keep breaking every day. Have you never gone through a process of maintaining a collection? No? Well I have.

If you honestly think I am wrong, then explain how you would avoid these problems without an archiving system.

who will mod in future with fun and motivation under the new conditions

I will, and I am sure I am not the only one. If Nexus actually felt like no one was going to continue, they would have backtracked already. The reason they have not is because it's nowhere near as big of an issue as you seem to think it is. There are still mods being uploaded every single day. Also, not sure why you are bringing up the Cathedral view, nothing Nexus is doing is really what I would call a Cathedral, quite far from it.

i would not upload any big project with many files under the new nexusmods conditions.

Well, only time will tell. Personally, I don't see the problem.

Arguing that someone that disagrees with you is hopelessly wrong, specially in such a debatable topic shows a personality not worth discussing anything with. "You're either on my side or the wrong side" is a very healthy system of debate and problem solving.

A lot of people also keep talking about things they have no clue about, including me. Nobody really has any idea how deep they want to go with collections, what functionality that requires or who is/isn't right about the future, because we can't see into it.

The fact that such a debate that pretty much boils down to personal priorities keeps being regurgitated with no end in sight, specially when it's normally brought up again by the same people that keep saying everything about it has already been discussed, is truly a marvel.

And here I thought this topic wouldn't end up being about collections as it's focus point, but it seems to be too much to ask for.

So to uh, get this derailed train back on track: I think people mod for different reasons and there is no universal motivation, it comes entirely down to the modder themselves. Some of the big ones I see in my section of modding:

- Portfolio building to land a gamedev contract in some way

- It's a creative outlet to process real life stress
- Community interaction/recognition/endorsements/downloads/etc.
- The puzzle of figuring it out being the motivation
- Something was in the game they wanted fixed
- They want to feel like they contribute to something greater and provide something back to the community they're apart of

For me personally, I usually get ideas based on what I wish was in the game, and then a puzzle will motivate me to actually do it. The problem with my type of motivation is that since the fulfillment happens before I actually release something, I have a lot of projects partially done that sit dusty in a folder because I "figured the thing out" and motivation is gone. I am also community oriented in some small groups - I have been known to spend effort doing small requests and write up little guides or help people make things they wanted if they contribute to my social communities in a good way. I do not necessarily care to receive recognition or attention for these things, I just like the act of giving. Edit to add: I also probably fall into the 'creative outlet for stress relief" category. I started back up on projects significantly after I had a car accident in April, and it's something I do when I feel like crap in general, so.

The reason this topic has derailed is because certain motivations listed above can feel threatened by the nexus changes. Mine are not, in fact I'd argue my motivations would benefit in some ways, so I am unbothered. Someone else's motivations might be. I think instead of arguing about whether things were good or bad in a black and white manner it would be better for everyone to identify their own motivations and think about how they could fulfill them from this point forward.