DDoS season begins, sites a little bit unstable

Dark0ne

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, good thing to remind people to keep their protection up to date and not forget to restart the antivirus as soon as possible if they really need to disable it temporarily.

A Ddos attack (denial of service) is an overload of the server due to a massive number of requests. There are lots of lunatics in the world with a lot of time to waste doing stupid things.

I kind of assumed that some of the 502 errors were being caused by increased traffic from new users, who just picked up the game during the ongoing Steam sale.

I hope you get things running smoothly again!

Sorry about this, I felt this frustration myself all this weekend when my precious cracks of time to update a mod, check out a new mod, install a new mod, etc were compromised. HOW FRUSTRATING! Trolls initiating these bot attacks need a better sex life, or just NEED A LIFE in general...

P.S. Yes I have Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, Spybot, other anti-virus measures, and measures with my router and network to prevent compromising my system. I've been 'infected' before and rest assured it ain't fun...

Edited by brentmontana

It angers me someone would do such a thing, please everyone if you are not protected make sure you are. your system may be compromised already.

In response to post #8464512.

DoS (of which DDoS is a variant) is a Denial of Service.
Basicly it's intent is to overload a website into not working.

One comparrison would be a door.
Normally one person at a time goes through. A DoS-attack pushes so many things through the door, that it is blocked.