How bad is the damage from AE really?

rabcor

Unfortunately it does break “some” other mods that don't need skse.

Microsoft own Bethesda and if Microsoft can make money off mods, they will do so.

It would not surprise me if Skyrim is the last elder scrolls game you can mod for free. Does Bethesda care for people who use free mods? Yes I believe they do.

Does Microsoft, No? In 2007 they tried to stop linux and its free operating system. Free stuff is a threat to big corps that want to make big money.

I just went back to playing legendary edition, untill the mods I want to use are working in AE. Who knows maybe I'll never upgrade SE.

Yeah I heard it breaks some other mods, follower mods specifically, that's a bit worrying, because it really shouldn't, and if such mods are breaking, perhaps a lot of things in the base game are now broken too; because the update should not affect plugin files in any way theoretically; so I wonder how the hell this is happening.

But while I am completely on board with you for hating Microsoft (no seriously, I don't even use windows anymore, and it's microsoft's fault I had to go learn how to use linux instead...), when it comes to managing game companies under their ownership, they have historically done a pretty decent job, it seems their policy for a lot of these game studios is to just let them keep doing whatever they were doing and keeping their meddling to a minimum. I mean just look even at recent games, flight simulator, psychonauts 2, age of empires 4, halo master chief collection & infinite, ori and the blind forest & ori and the will of the wisps, forza horizon 4 & 5, state of decay 2, sea of thieves... and that's not even getting into their older games.

Also it's true Microsoft tried to kill off linux, but they've changed their stance and it's basically ancient history (or is it just that they shifted to an EEE stance? :huh: )

Also, notably, Microsoft do not seem to actively prevent games published by them from supporting linux, there's a good bunch of linux native titles published by microsoft; and out of those games I just mentioned, with the exception of halo infinite, all of them work on proton, and with the further exception of forza horizon 4 and 5, all of them work well on proton too. Mojang, despite having been bought by Micro$oft also still maintains and updates the java edition of minecraft just like it always has, although a bit of a shame that that version of minecraft is not used on platforms other than PC.... Speaking of which as another commenter mentioned, it's not like microsoft shut down modding for minecraft either.

As for Microsoft trying to force a profit out of modding and going as far as shutting down free mod support... If anything, anniversary edition is the excact opposite, since buying anniversary edition literally gives you ALL the creation club mods, if anything, anniversary edition is the end of paid mods, although I'm not holding my breath for that...

My point is, although you're right about microsoft being a piece of s*** company, when i tcomes to game publishing, Microsoft knows how to make money, and their #1 strategy seems to have been not to sabotage their own game studios, and it's been working out great. Even when they do meddle (they sure meddled plenty with minecraft) it usually turns out all right for everyone involved. Microsoft is a bad, bad company, but game publishing is possibly the only thing microsoft has ever done right.

Also the anniversary edition thing has bethesda written all over it, I doubt Microsoft had anything to do with it besides taking a share of the profits from the AE sales lol... This is just basic bethesda. And I wouldn't expect it from microsoft, because as shitty as they are, they've got plenty of money to not be desperate enough to pull a stunt like forcing mods to be paid only; just like they're not desperate enough to actively prevent linux support for their games (in the end it doesn't matter if the user is on windows or linux, microsoft still gets paid for the game, and that's good enough for them it seems).

Edited by rabcor

First off, I haven't updated Skyrim yet and also not sure if I should get AE upgrade. On the topic of SKSE do I need to take out the one I manually installed or do I leave that there. I manually installed an older one and they uploaded on on the nexus page. When they release the new one to work with AE do I need to uninstall both or leave the files alone?

I run Skyrim SE on Linux. First I had to let Steam update and as I also use ASDL and it's extremely slow, that took ages. I ran out of time on the AE update so had to finish those downloads the next day. I was then able to run AE. It ran without any issues so I then purchased the additional content. That uses the Creation Club download in game to deliver those purchases and that also took ages and ages and ages. However, it all runs flawlessly. I can see an improvement in performance and I'm very pleased. I also like some the additional bits via the addon purchase so I'm happy with that too. I was braced for issues - just in case - but actually it was a non-event and everything runs perfectly.

You actually sound like a real newbie. No the initial download is just for a few of the CCC mods. The AE Update (19.99) needs to be paid for so I doubt it caused the issues you say it did.

I’m lucky and have my SE on a laptop that has nothing else on it.

I took it off line and disabled internet, it’ll stay that way until this whole CF is resolved.

My greatest sadness is a lot of legacy mods that were ported over are going to be lost since no one is updating them.

Steam did their update. My game don't run. Screen goes black after selecting continue or saved game. I have to reboot my machine to get it back. All I know is I worked long and very hard to get to level 93 (years even) and now I have nothing. Maybe it's time to just stop this ..ah..game? No..chore! :down:

Between black screens for companion and quest mods, there seems to be a problem that is glossed over in easy answers.

2021 has not been a good year for Skyrim mod users, what with the COVID pandemic, the Anniversary Edition, and the Nexus mod collection diaspora.

Maybe Microsoft is telling us that 10 years is too long for a game to still be played.