ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Vortex deletes skse64_loader.exe and prevents any manipulation of the file

egoxxl
Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

*edit turns out its not Vortex, it was Avast Free Antivirus

SkyrimSE, latest pre AE version

I cant exactly remember but i believe i installed SKSE manually by copying

skse64_1_5_97.dll, skse64_loader.exe, skse64_readme.txt, skse64_steam_loader.dll and skse64_whatsnew.txt into my SkyrimSE folder at D:\Games\STEAM\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition

i manually zipped the scripts folder from skse64_2_00_20 and installed it manually as mod with Vortex

I added the skse64_loader.exe as a non Steam-game to my Steam library to start SkyrimSE.

I already played with this setup and 100+ mods for a few weeks now without issues.

Last week i already had the same problem where the game wouldnt start becasue the skse64_loader.exe wasnt in the SkyrimSE folder anymore, but i noticed there was now backup files from the skse files (skse64_1_5_97.dll.vortex_backup etc.) BUT no backup of the skse64_loader.exe though.

I just copied the skse files again into the SkyrimSE folder and everything worked again

Today the same bs happened again, i havent even started Vortex yet, and yet the skse64_loader.exe is gone, but this time theres is also a backup file of it (skse64_loader.exe.vortex_backup)

But now somehow im not allowed to do anything related the the skse64_loader.exe - says i dont have admin rights, i cant copy skse64_loader.exe into the folder, I CAN rename the backup file to something like skse64_loader.exe.vortex_back, but i CANT rename it to the proper .exe

Using the tool Take Ownership on the SkyrimSE folder or the file also doesnt help

SO WTF?????

Vortex has literally taken control of my SkyrimSE folder and doesnt allow anything related to the skse64_loader.exe

Few days ago i could play and now NOPE u r not allowed to - SERIOUSLY WTF

I gotta says this is really pissing me off, why the hell does Vortex manuipulate the SkyrimSE folder when im not even accessing Vortex (last time my PC was on SkyrimSE worked fine and i havent touched Vortex since than)

and most importantly HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS???

Edited by egoxxl

I tried to resolve this by uninstalling SKSE through vortex and reinstalling it with the default method, when i click deploay after downloading SKSE again, Vortex gets stuck at deploying

NICE
so AGAIN Vortex has f*#@EDUP another modsetup after hundreds of hours of setting it up

FORf*#@SAKE

if i should ever be so crazy again to touch this godforsaken bugmess of a game called Skyrim i will use ModOrganizer for modmanagement

I WANT THE CONTROL OVER MY SKYRIMSE FOLDER BACK

i can do everything but i cant put the skse64_loader.exe into the folder, nor does reinstalling SKSE tghrough vortex install the exe WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ?????

Edited by egoxxl

Guest deleted34304850

no-one is going to give you any help unless you post in a somewhat decent manner.

all the information you've provided, which is very little, suggests that you've goofed up massively.

when you can post calmly with actual error messages and less drama, perhaps someone will give you the time of day.

Vortex randomly deletes the skse loader exe and i cant put it back into the folder no matter what i try and i goofed up?

The game was working perfectly fine and out of nowhere Vortex decides to that the skse loader exe shouldnt be there anymore.

There is no error messages other than windows telling me i need admin rights to do what i want to do, which i have and still deosnt workk

And Vortex has done this before to me years ago! Ofc im pissed off after losing hundreds of hours of fiddlign aroud again becasue the modmanager program does random things.

How do i get rid of the information, that Vortex has stored somewhere, that the skse loader exe is not allowed in my SkyrimSE folder?

Edited by egoxxl

• Solution

"Today the same bs happened again, i havent even started Vortex yet, and yet the skse64_loader.exe is gone[/size]"

How do you suggest Vortex deleted the file if Vortex wasn't even running?
Vortex doesn't "Take ownership" on anything, Vortex does the thing you ask it to at the time you *run Vortex*. Vortex doesn't do anything if it's not running.

The fact you have ".vortex_backup" files indicates that you installed skse through Vortex but at the time you did, you already had skse installed manually (or with another tool). That's why vortex created these backups, they are the manually installed skse files. Because Vortex doesn't overwrite if it doesn't know where files came from, it renames them to .vortex_backup.

If Vortex had uninstalled skse it would have restored these files, renaming them from something.someting.vortex_backup to something.something.

The fact the actual files are gone but the .vortex_backup files are still there means that something else deleted those files and Vortex didn't even have any opportunity yet to try and repair anything.

The fact you had to take ownership on the directory after you were obviously able to install to it before means that either you ignored the recommendation of not running software as admin or something else changed the file permissions on that directory. Something not Vortex, because Vortex can only losen file permissions where necessary, it doesn't even have the code to make them stricter, not even accidentally.

You will continue being very unhappy if you insist on randomly pointing fingers at the first thing you can think of and insist that is at fault instead of trying to figure out what is actually causing your problem.

Than i dont know what has done this. Last time my PC was on i was playing SkyrimSE without issues. Turned it on today - loader exe gone

I tried to resolve this but nothing works (i think i made it worse in that process)

Im not allowed to put the skse loader exe into the SkyrimSE folder.

Seems Vortex also fails at it, since when i try to install SKSE throught it, it doesnt work, Vortex gets stuck when deploying SKSE as mod

I also tried disabling and renabling the SKSE installer extension in Vortex - no dice.

So i f*#@ed up my SkyrimSE folder for Vortex managment by fiddling around in it manually -

is there any way i can make Vortex forget its rules it has set for SKSE files in particular?

If i have to go start all over again i have to giveup on this

Ive lost to many modded setups in the last 10 years due to NMM/ Vortex/ Steam update shananigans

i have the same issue, sudddenly. It was fine before everything worked, before i took a break. The suddenly ill get warning from antivirus, i mannegd that to. installed on ,D:\Games\STEAM\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition

Vortex know says needs to acces ,D:\Games\STEAM\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition but doesnt have permission to. giving permission doesnt help. Deployment failed, 1 files were not correctly deployed(see lof for details)

where can i find these files, i am just a random person with not much skills in pc work

Sounds like maybe both of you are having issues with your anti-virus. Try white-listing Vortex and SKSE64 in it. Reinstall SKSE64 (correctly). Redeploy Vortex and see where you are at.