To Clean or not to Clean?

ClanRanald21

I'm sorry I bet this an old onion that has been tossed around for ages. Forgive me I have been playing and modding Morrowind and Oblivion for the past 20 years. It seems that most of Skyrim updates and addons are flagged as dirty edits by the usual anal retentive mod policemen, ala SSE, Wrye Bash, Loot etc,etc. I know that they say please read the guide to cleaning as some mods are deliberately edited so they run correctly, but then you run into other guides via u-tube uploaded by belt and brace merchants who are just simply game testers and not game players, who tell you to sanitise everything? It's very contradicting.

What should a new player or modder to Skyrim do?

I'm sorry I bet this an old onion that has been tossed around for ages. Forgive me I have been playing and modding Morrowind and Oblivion for the past 20 years. It seems that most of Skyrim updates and addons are flagged as dirty edits by the usual anal retentive mod policemen, ala SSE, Wrye Bash, Loot etc,etc. I know that they say please read the guide to cleaning as some mods are deliberately edited so they run correctly, but then you run into other guides via u-tube uploaded by belt and brace merchants who are just simply game testers and not game players, who tell you to sanitise everything? It's very contradicting.

What should a new player or modder to Skyrim do?

AFAIK, only three or four plugins are generally recommended for cleaning. The fundamental ESMs. (update, dawnguard, hearthfire, and dragonborn)

Although I did clean them when I was using 1.5.73 and 1.5.80, I did not for 1.5.97. My game has been quite "stable" overall. Nor have I cleaned anything else.

Of course, this is anecdotal, and I'm not suggesting anyone do as I did.