best gaming pc 💻

3liseOBrien

With current GPU prices i think prebuild PCs are better but wether its worth it or not depends on how much you can spare.

I for example wont spend anything at the moment because whenever i build something i do so with the goal for it to last for another decade.

My current one although its an Office desktop can support a visually modded SkyrimSE but would bottleneck with Fallout 4 or the Witcher 3.

Whenever i invest i try to make it worthwhile. My brother caught a 1660 around 500EUR last months before it jumped to 600-700+ and feels happy about it so thats a 6GB GPU which is fine.

But i don't know CPU prices by Intel are ridiculously cheap at the moment even for 10th Gen so i wouldn't waste the opportunity.

GPU prices don't make much sense at the moment and there is alot of scalpers plus Product part quality dropped alot but then again i wouldn't invest on something that doesn't last long. So for now i just wait it out to rebuild a Modern (Latest Hardware PC) which is going to cost a bit but ''Buy once cry once''

Edited by Blizzardlord

For a while there, we were building high-zoot rigs, and selling them both in-store, and on Ebay. We sold several of them to folks that only wanted the vid card, as that was the only way they could get one...... (some of 'em had 3080's in 'em.) They would buy the machine, and a week or so later, we would see it back on Ebay, either as parts, or, minus the vid card. :D

For a while there, we were building high-zoot rigs, and selling them both in-store, and on Ebay. We sold several of them to folks that only wanted the vid card, as that was the only way they could get one...... (some of 'em had 3080's in 'em.) They would buy the machine, and a week or so later, we would see it back on Ebay, either as parts, or, minus the vid card. :D

It's ridiculous what the market's become for GPUs. Did it start during COVID or did another factor change the price standard?

It's ridiculous what the market's become for GPUs. Did it start during COVID or did another factor change the price standard?

I think it was a combination of factors. Covid was certainly a contributor, (chip shortage and all) but the miners were buying them up wholesale as well. Nvidia then came out with LHR cards... (low hash rate) which weren't that good for mining, but, they did their magic in the driver, and the miners worked around that one pretty quick. According to theory, the next iteration of LHR cards, were done in hardware.... I don't know just how effective that actually was though. We sold a fair few cards to some local miners.... (one guy bought more than 30 of the 3080's..... holy smoke.....)

I think it was a combination of factors. Covid was certainly a contributor, (chip shortage and all) but the miners were buying them up wholesale as well. Nvidia then came out with LHR cards... (low hash rate) which weren't that good for mining, but, they did their magic in the driver, and the miners worked around that one pretty quick. According to theory, the next iteration of LHR cards, were done in hardware.... I don't know just how effective that actually was though. We sold a fair few cards to some local miners.... (one guy bought more than 30 of the 3080's..... holy smoke.....)

More than thirty??? Oh my.

I'm not too knowledgeable on mining, but it seems to have directly impacted the GPU market as the income methods shift. Mining sounds really risky, too, because you never know when the gain's going to drop. I hope people don't invest their lives into something that soon turns up to be not what they thought they were investing into.

More than thirty??? Oh my.

I'm not too knowledgeable on mining, but it seems to have directly impacted the GPU market as the income methods shift. Mining sounds really risky, too, because you never know when the gain's going to drop. I hope people don't invest their lives into something that soon turns up to be not what they thought they were investing into.

And that's why I am not into mining. Way too volatile of a market.

Bitcoin pricing going thru the roof, the supply chain issues, shutdowns of factories due to covid, etc, all combined to make vid cards almost impossible to come by.

For about six months, we were selling cards on ebay, as fast as we could get them. And our pricing was generally mid-pack. We could get 20 or 30 cards in, in the morning, and by afternoon, they would all be sold. It was a HUGE money maker, even with our lower prices. We managed to pay off our new building, and the shop truck, in the first year of being there. :D (we had to move because the folks that bought out our previous building (we were renting) wanted it... and were going to raise our rent to an unaffordable level....)

The market has slowed some, but, we still have a hard time getting vid cards, and they still sell out within hours of being listed, but, the margins aren't nearly what they were. (the cards themselves have gotten more expensive.... simply because they can....)

Thing is, I don't see much of this changing any time soon..... with the new omicron variant, covid seems to want to hang around and disrupt our lives for a while yet. I expect another year of 'screwed up', barring yet another variant coming out.

Prices on vid cards have been stupid for more than a year now. Really wanna hate me? I paid 400 bucks for my 3070. :smile: There are distinct advantages to working in a small PC shop. :D

Unfortunately, I don't see pricing approaching anything I would consider 'reasonable' for the foreseeable future......

I can wait, I mostly play older games and if something happened to the 1080ti I could muddle through with the 980ti that I kept in reserve. I think the console shortage will resolve itself first and that might push down demand for high end PC GPUs, the vast majority of people aren't into modding and will be tempted by the power these consoles have for a reasonable price.