Solid State Hard drives

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

??? it has a gpu built in???? hmmmm crazy

Optional support for switching graphics between a discrete GPU and the integrated graphics processor in Sandy Bridge.

??? Must do some research on the subject

Edited by Thor.

• 2 weeks later...

I already owning Z68 chipset(B3 rev) board, build with 2600K. After several tests, I think Hard drive became one of the biggest bottleneck, especially when overclocked to 5 GHz. Yes I still using OLD SATA II (300mb/s) and should looking for SSD's. :)

According to Intel site, I learned that this chipest (Z68) supports Intel® Smart Response Technology (SSD caching) with at least Intel RST driver version 10.5.0.1026, but not all Z68 supported(especially old bios), for Intel board DZ68DB must using BIOS version 0014 or later to use that feature..source. and here for user guide..

I think this is a big difference between P67 and Z68 is ssd caching other than Internal GPU, which is Z68 is the main of system requirement to support Intel Smart Response Technology (ssd caching)...

Personnaly, the performance of Internal GPU (In Z68 board) is the same like other Internal GPUs (IMO) so using external GPU is must..

If you are an extreme gamer you should waiting for X chipset series, not P, Z, or H..maybe come out with Ivybridge..to build the fastest gaming machine on the planet, just opinion :).

I just realized that the thing on my computer that is going "HURRDURR IM LAUD" is my HDD, and I've thought about getting an SSD anyways, so I'm most likely getting one.

If I buy an SSD and put Windows on it (and maybe some game(s)) would it make my HDD more silent since the HDD would not have EVERYTHING on it, especially the Windows?

If I buy an SSD and put Windows on it (and maybe some game(s)) would it make my HDD more silent since the HDD would not have EVERYTHING on it, especially the Windows?

Yes, but it would be great when using SSDs on machine with appropriate chipset and cpu to avoid bottleneck, because all featured on SSDs based on it. One reason ppl using SSDs, is get more fast. not just silent, power consumption or anti-shock.

Another thing is SSDs are great when dealing small files(with big files we need RAID) on common computers...

• 3 weeks later...
I like SSD's but they are way too expensive and offer little hard drive space, maybe in the next few years prices will go down and (hopefully) larger space will be offered.

I just realized that the thing on my computer that is going "HURRDURR IM LAUD" is my HDD, and I've thought about getting an SSD anyways, so I'm most likely getting one.

Its a sign of "I am going to break anytime soon".

No, if HDD is already loud it will not fix it. See above. And it's a bit of bad idea to start doing heavy file moving on a SSD ATM, they tend to break from it, with having a reduced efficiency.

Yes, but it would be great when using SSDs on machine with appropriate chipset and cpu to avoid bottleneck

Actually, you need good RAM. When you start a program, stuff get loaded into memory (RAM). CPU is there to do mathematical calculations, as in 1+1=2 stuff. And, the better RAM you have, the faster it will load. But from my own experience, I haven't found a serious change from a SSD or a new HDD you can get now days. Normal HDDs are actually fast enough.

My recommendation about SSDs: SSD at the moment for me are good for Virtual Memory stuff and boosting OS loading times. For anything else, stick to HDDs, due to better price-to-capacity ratio and they are fast enough for a normal everyday usage.

• 1 month later...

My recommendations for SSD is for a main OS and a few main games while using an HDD for all sorts of files(media, documents, games not frequently played.) One of the good things about windows 7(I've never tried Vista outside of class) is that you can move user profile folders such as the My Documents folder(a frequently used folder for game saves) to other drives. As for moving games without having to uninstall them, there is Steam Mover which is primarily for Steam games, but it can be used for any folder.

For the drive size, I'd personally recommend 100GB as a boot drive for a Z68 chipset system as that chipset can utilize SSDs of up to 64GB for cache. The cache speeds the system up dramatically. Any other system is recommended an SSD of 60GB in size, but I say 80GB myself.