Solid State Hard drives

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just waiting for SSDs to become available in the SATA 3.0 spec. Once that happens, no mechanical drive can match the performance...my machine is thrashing in pain every day just waiting for the SATA 3.0 SSD drives to hit the market...which should actually be cheaper than current SSDs due to the reduced size in manufacturing.

LHammonds

• 1 month later...

In looks of the high price SSD is something i am gonna have to ditch until it is more widespread and evolved, but the thought of having no moving parts anymore it just makes you feel good doesnt it.

Btw whats the life time on these things anyway? :wink:

from what ive heard the life time aint as huge as that of HDDs but you still have 2yrs warranty on most which should be ok for a system os or apps, storing data on them might however not be the brightest idea yet,

i also heard that they also tend to become much slower the longer you use them and the fuller the drive gets

however they are still about 100 times as fast as a HDD lol...

what i didnt quite get is that video that showed 24 SDDs wrangled up together, how the heck does this guy achieve it that the speed of each drive simply sums up? they are still 24 drives and each works at 200MB/s (or omin like that), why would the speed get better if you strung up more?

could it be that each data bit gets split up and distributed amongst those drives so that lets say of a 1mb file 10kb each would come from different drives?

hence the only bottleneck would be the system bus... wootz... mhh still not sure if i should get one now, that hdd speed kinda annoys me lol

what i didnt quite get is that video that showed 24 SDDs wrangled up together, how the heck does this guy achieve it that the speed of each drive simply sums up? they are still 24 drives and each works at 200MB/s (or omin like that), why would the speed get better if you strung up more?
It is a technology that has been around for quite some time. You typically see database servers using a bunch of small drives connected to an internal RAID controller or two. I suspect RAID 0 (Striped Volumes) was used for this test which typically gives the best READ performance. He used two RAID controllers and utilized all 6 internal SATA ports.

As you do research on RAID technology, keep in mind that most articles written about it refers to MECHANICAL drive performance. SSD drives do not have any issues with random read/write as they are instantaneous (and problematic for mechanical drives)...thus, I suspect they will gain performance even with WRITE speed and it all comes down to the amount of bandwidth your system is capable of using rather than the speed of the drives (which SSDs are going to be faster than the available bandwidth...which is why I am waiting for SATA 3.0 spec SSD drives!!!)

LHammonds