Solid State Hard drives

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like it is finally time for me to get an SSD drive. There are some SATA III drives available but they are still quite pricey. I am hoping to buy the Intel X25-M, 160 GB SSD for $219 via their Intel Retail Edge Program....assuming I can come up with the cash before the Dec 1 deal starts.

I was holding out for SATA III and lower prices due to smaller manufacturing processes which save money and thus provide for a larger capacity at lower prices but dang, it has been almost an entire year and not much on the market. I'm tired of waiting and this seems like the best bang-for-the-buck deal I've seen so far.

EDIT: Dec 12, 2010

More details about the PC I built

Intel Core i7-960 3.2 GHz

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 (rev 1.0)

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM (12 GB)

XFX Radeon HD 5870 Video card

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

This system currently has 3 SATA hard drives (which are currently the main bottleneck)

• Primary: Western Digital 250 GB
  • Secondary: Western Digital 1 TB
  • Tertiary: Western Digital 1 TB

Here is the current Windows Experience Index:

Processor: 7.6

Memory: 7.6

Graphics: 7.8

Gaming Graphics: 7.8

Primary Hard Disk: 5.3

I am about to replace the Western Digital drives with an Intel X25-M Solid State Drive (160 GB) and will post the results of the test after the upgrade.

EDIT: Dec 13, 2010

Here is the new Windows Experience Index using the new SSD:

Processor: 7.6

Memory: 7.6

Graphics: 7.8

Gaming Graphics: 7.8

Primary Hard Disk: 7.5

LHammonds

Thank you for this, very useful. I've been running low on space lately and have started thinking about a new drive and expect it to be SSD, especially after reading those results. :)

Cheers.

Tempted, very tempted to buy one, as also my hardrive is the only bottleneck in the system and it makes all the other components look a tad bit sad. But what i could not answer yet is: How many years will a SSD live at daily use? Last time i looked around, there were lots of diffrent oppinions on that and if it will only hold three years, i wont be that tempted anymore. I hope i am wrong tho and these things hold out much longer. Edited by Nadimos

What do you think of the new solid state hard drives out now, they say in games can give a full 0.2ghz to your gaming rig, i am going to purchase one myself.

check it out, it has only a 120gb capacity but that's all i need for all my games that would take full advantage of that drive, like Crysis and Fall out 3, and so fourth.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16820233075

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs&feature=player_embedded

found here

http://www.pcmech.com/article/ssd-drives-raid/

My experience SSD's a bad one. For the first three months i had xfer rates exceeding HDD's, but after that performance degraded considerably. Something like 2-3MB/sec. I maintained the drive impeccably, and had made all the appropriate OS tweaks. Finally, after a year of service it just flat out died.

The technology probably has a niche somewhere, like the military, where you need a rugged system. But I am gladly back to HDD's.

The one thing i noticed is the ram 800mhz, lol even with 2 ssd, your still bottlenecked. As the ram cant keep up. Even with a ssd memory counts more, so anything with a 1600mhz range is the best choice with a ssd. ddr3 is the way to go. Edited by Thor.

Oh but it is, especially under heavy load. You notice a huge difference between the ranges of mhz..

Especially in benchmarks.

Edited by Thor.