Odd lighting effects.

HeyYou

Well, got my new monitor, got it set up, and things are cool. (MSI 34" 4K monitor.) Tweaked some settings in my Fallout 4 inis, so I can take advantage of all of that screen real estate, and I love it. Problem I am having is, when the 'sun' moves, the shadows do really odd and strange things, kinda disconcerting. I don't *think* it was doing that previously, (1080P samsung monitor) but, there is a LOT more screen to see, so, maybe I just didn't notice it previously? Anyone know of a 'fix' for that? Or, at least, a way to reduce the effect?

Sounds Bethesda-ey to me. Shadows seem to be problematic unless you set them to Ultra and then your FPS tanks. Can't win. Can't imagine playing this game on a 34" monitor as I play on a 15" laptop. Congrats!

Yeah, it's a whole new experience in widescreen.

Yep, I do believe it is definitely a beth shadow issue, as at night, the game looks amazing. (and watching movies that are native 21:9 aspect ratio on the new monitor is also a whole new experience. :D That one REALLY surprised me.)

I want to install TruX9 mod, and some of it's patches as well, just to see if that improves things, but, my NAS seems to have decided it doesn't want to work properly, and that Offends NMM. It can't find the downloads folder, so it wants to uninstall all my mods. (the mod staging folder/storage for archives is on the NAS, which I can't get to at the moment.) Still waiting to hear back from Buffalo support, but, it has been two days...... granted, it IS the holiday season..... I think I am going to have to come up with a different solution there, the drives in it are raid 0, (striped) so likely the data there is just gone. I have an older backup around here somewhere, but, it's on another HDD, and I have quite a few to dig thru. :D Might be a good opportunity to reinstall a couple games, and rebuild my load lists from my download history.

Ah well. Life goes on. :D

I'm running at 3440X1440. Aside from the shadows, the perspective is a little odd too. Running my 1st Person FOV at 95, and things at the periphery of the screen stretch out, and appear much closer than they actually are. Kinda disconcerting. Had it 110 originally, and have been reducing it slowly to see if I can fix it.... So far, the answer is "no". :D