Are video games addictive?

3liseOBrien

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
It's like a sweet, like a spicy, like an adrenaline and other - just something interesting but in this case some more - a chance to be someone or do something what you can't do never in real life. And, of course, de-stress. Sorry, English is not my native language) Edited by Bresperris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes. Anything can be addictive if it's something you love I think. I'm addicted to video games and have been for a while now, but I'm also addicted to TV shows, movies, other things etc etc etc. Whether it is good or bad is subjective depending on the context and what it is.

Addiction can be a problem though. Addiction is not a problem imo if say, you're addicted to eating healthy. I don't see any downside to that kind of addiction. But video game addiction can have negative effects on you, as can many other addictions

/Random thoughts

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed that I spend more time with things around games than the games themselves. From reading up guides, to watching content creators, to modding, going through setups, etc.

It is rather rare that I start a game, spend all day there, and the first thing the next morning is that I want to play more. Sometimes, very rarely, do I keep hanging in a new game, but that is mostly because it's new and I want to stick with it.

But is it possible that people could be literally addicted to it, either physically, mentally, or both? I guess so. But that would mean that withdrawl from the game would have symptoms, not that someone loses their track of time in the moment. Otherwise books could be addictive in the same way.

• 3 weeks later...
Video games can be addictive for some people. Several factors can play a role in video games becoming addictive:

- Compelling Content: Video games can have compelling content and compelling stories, creating constant curiosity and discovery. Players may want to keep playing to discover more of the story, unlock new content, or gain higher achievements.

- Bonus mechanism: Video games often use reward mechanisms, such as achieving goals, leveling up, receiving rewards, completing quests, and other achievements. These mechanisms stimulate the reward system in the brain, creating satisfaction and motivation to keep playing.

- Flow State: Video games can create a flow state, in which the player is completely focused and loses judgment of time and surroundings. This state creates a feeling of happiness and fulfillment, and the player wants to continue the experience.

- Social interaction: Some video games have a social interaction feature, allowing players to connect and interact with other players over the network. This can create a vibrant gaming community and a sense of belonging to a group, bonding and feeling essential to each other's presence.

Although video games can be addictive, not everyone who plays is addicted. Some people have self-control and play in a balanced way, while others can easily lose control and be abused.

Video games can be addictive for some because it offers a wide range of engaging elements. First, games often have a design structure that creates constant stimulation and excitement, with increasingly difficult goals and challenges. Players feel satisfied and gain a sense of accomplishment when they overcome these challenges.

However, not everyone is addicted to video games. Some people have self-control and play in a balanced way, while others can lose control and become addicted.

I'm definitely guilty of being addicted to video games so yes I would say games are addictive depending on what they bring out in the player. Like all things its something to be managed and controlled so it doesn't negatively impact the rest of your life.