Are video games addictive?

3liseOBrien

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
It's like a sweet, like a spicy, like an adrenaline and other - just something interesting but in this case some more - a chance to be someone or do something what you can't do never in real life. And, of course, de-stress. Sorry, English is not my native language) Edited by Bresperris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes. Anything can be addictive if it's something you love I think. I'm addicted to video games and have been for a while now, but I'm also addicted to TV shows, movies, other things etc etc etc. Whether it is good or bad is subjective depending on the context and what it is.

Addiction can be a problem though. Addiction is not a problem imo if say, you're addicted to eating healthy. I don't see any downside to that kind of addiction. But video game addiction can have negative effects on you, as can many other addictions

/Random thoughts

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed that I spend more time with things around games than the games themselves. From reading up guides, to watching content creators, to modding, going through setups, etc.

It is rather rare that I start a game, spend all day there, and the first thing the next morning is that I want to play more. Sometimes, very rarely, do I keep hanging in a new game, but that is mostly because it's new and I want to stick with it.

But is it possible that people could be literally addicted to it, either physically, mentally, or both? I guess so. But that would mean that withdrawl from the game would have symptoms, not that someone loses their track of time in the moment. Otherwise books could be addictive in the same way.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm definitely guilty of being addicted to video games so yes I would say games are addictive depending on what they bring out in the player. Like all things its something to be managed and controlled so it doesn't negatively impact the rest of your life.

• 4 months later...

They can be, yes. Game developers today make games addictive rather than fun. Initially, they thought a game had to be enjoyable to be addictive, but they've since discovered that's not the case. This has gradually taken over the industry over the past 20+ years, so now the market's pretty much made up only of addicting games that are unpleasant to play. If you want a genuinely enjoyable game, you need to look to games made in the 2d era (the transition to modern games started sometime in the 16-bit era, so not all old games are technically fun). Its one the multitude of reasons I don't buy games anymore.

• 1 month later...