How do you measure distance?

hucker75

I have installed a mod that lets me create workshops anywhere (settle everywhere) but it's very fussy about where they're placed in relation to existing ones. If it's too close it will not function. At the moment I've discovered if I sprint for 6.5 seconds and place it, this is ideal, the buildable areas just overlap and the workshop functions. Is there a way to measure distance more precisely?

How fast your run, and therefore, how much ground you cover over time... depends on your stats. what you have in your hands, and probably several other things.....

Distances in Beth games have always baffled me. The unit of measure is a mystery..... so, things like weapon range are a 'best guess'..... In some instances, I can hit targets at what I thought were 'out of range'.... in others, targets that seem pretty close, I simply can't hit, even though there is nothing between us.... So, even the game seems to have issues being consistent......

I was using a different mod called SKK mobile workshop which hated me putting the workshop anywhere near a settlement. It would say "move 6724 units away from Sanctuary". Uhh..... units? Footsteps? And yet I could run that far, deploy the workshop, then carry it back to where it refused to place it, and it worked just fine. I got fed up of this and am using a better one which gives you a gun to create a permanent workshop. Trouble is this one gives no warning, and recommends not placing the workshop within the borders of a settlement workshop. But actually, placing it near the borders causes a problem too. So it's all guesswork. I just wish there was a way to make the whole of the commonwealth one big workshop area. I like to repair flyovers and build my own bridges etc.

Yes, "measuring" distances in-game is hard.

It would be cool to have something like a laser range finder to actually measure distances in-game.

But yes, one "standard floor piece" is 256 by 256 units, that is about 144" by 144" in real life.

(Source, it is from skyrim but same for Fallout 4: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Unit)

One "exterior cell" is 16 by 16 "floor pieces" big.

I guess that "settlement anywhere" mod that you use makes (at least) the cell that you place your workshop in a settlement, probably a 3x3 cell area with the cell that contains the workshop in the center.

But I am just guessing.

What annoys me is the limitation of workshops being too close. There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule - you can overlap the zones ok. The author says you mustn't have the actual workshop inside the zone of the other one. But it screws up even if it's just close to the border. Maybe the new workshop had a bigger border than I thought, trouble is it doesn't have a green border, the author says because you have to manually draw them.

Yes, the "green borders" are actually 3d objects that have to be created "by hand", just like other 3d objects in the game (buildings, weapons, ...).

There is no way to dynamically create them "in the game".

As far as I know that is just a visual indication of the settlement area.

The actual area that you can build in is defined by invisible trigger boxes that let the player open the workshop menu when he/she is inside of them.

But I don't really know much about how the settlement stuff actually works.

I tried to make a settlement at a custom modded location once and couldn't get it to work.

But I hope my limited knowledge helps ...

SKK50 has some scripts, and a specific weapon, that would tell you range to target....... It worked, but, it made my game kinda unstable. (don't know if it was that mod specifically, or an interaction between that one, and any others.....) I don't know if it works on non-living targets though...... If I recall correctly, it doesn't do any damage, and does not cause targets to go hostile...... He pulled all his mods from here though, I think he has a discord channel, or some such.

Yes, the "green borders" are actually 3d objects that have to be created "by hand", just like other 3d objects in the game (buildings, weapons, ...).

There is no way to dynamically create them "in the game".

As far as I know that is just a visual indication of the settlement area.

The actual area that you can build in is defined by invisible trigger boxes that let the player open the workshop menu when he/she is inside of them.

But I don't really know much about how the settlement stuff actually works.

I tried to make a settlement at a custom modded location once and couldn't get it to work.

But I hope my limited knowledge helps ...

Bethesda did that weird, making them objects, you'd think it could be automated. I've accidentally deleted them in the console when trying to disable junk.

I've found you can go a bit beyond borders by creating the object inside it, then moving it.

SKK50 has some scripts, and a specific weapon, that would tell you range to target....... It worked, but, it made my game kinda unstable. (don't know if it was that mod specifically, or an interaction between that one, and any others.....) I don't know if it works on non-living targets though...... If I recall correctly, it doesn't do any damage, and does not cause targets to go hostile...... He pulled all his mods from here though, I think he has a discord channel, or some such.

SKK's stuff is still here (with some rude notices directed at Nexus), well some of it at least, as that's where I got the Global Stash mod from recently - it lets you move stuff from all your settlements into the local workshop in one go using a holotape. Handy to get all that stuff your settlers have been scavenging.