DooM (DOS)

tyreil829

DOOM is one of my favorite games ever. I played thru it so many times, i can't count. I bought several CDs with new levels and mods. I made my own mods with Doom Construction Kit and HackEd. Currently i play DOOM 2 with the ZDoom engine, and with the excellent mod "Aeons of Death", which adds a lot of weapons and enemies from other classic shooters like Heretic, Hexen, Duke3D, Blood and Shadow Warrior to the game. :biggrin:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dunno, never liked doom... coulndt jump, was ugly and the whole thing was kinda disturbing lol... i actually only like pure fps games in multiplayer :/

shadow warrior was imo the coolest of the old time fps games and could need a relaunch or remake or somin...

Pfft you young uns and your bunny hopping. Doom set the standard for the genre in a way that no previous game did. Doom is the reason we have FPS today. Show some respect! Rawr! http://webbstuff.net/evilneko/rant0000.gif http://webbstuff.net/evilneko/respect0.gif

Doom is an awesome game. It had that particular 'what the hell is THAT?' factor that is often missing in games today. When you stumbled upon a room just filled with boxes of rockets, you knew there was something big around the corner waiting to rip your head off! I played the Doom games solidly for 5 years, and modded them, creating maps that were damn near impossible (only near - I tested them on Nightmare!). ID Software did indeed create the standard by which all other games were compared.

Ahhh, Shadow Warrior. I remember that one fondly too. 'I like BIG weapons!' I played both that and Duke Nukem for a good few years too! :)

• 1 month later...

Doom is one of the greatest and most influential games in the history of computer game industry, for its extremely fun, innovative 3D, networking and modifiability in its time.

As a dedicated player Ive played doom no-stop for years, I strongly suggest paying a visit to Doomworld first, the most active community site in the past decade. You can find almost anything about classic doom there. As regarding source ports you can use for playing doom there are a dozen of them interesting, Doomsday engine mentioned above is nice if you favor visual improvement to the game. Still quite a few players outta there are playing doom online, for multiplayer I would recommend Zdaemon and Skulltag, if any of you are really interested. Just remember there is no 'best' source port, only preferable ones in each area people choose.

I do believe most old-school doom players would enjoy fully-configurable/maximum-customized games such like recent TES series. Freedom playability can be very attractive. :laugh:

By the way. Didn't anyone mention here that ZeniMax bought id Software the last year? I myself am very looking forward to upcoming possible cooperation between Bethesda and id, and the games they together may bring to us.

• 2 weeks later...

Anecdote (DOOM players will understand)

A gamer dies. Devil appears before him and says: "I'll take you to hell, but you still have three last wishes". Gamer: "Well, OK. 1st - IDDQD, 2nd - IDKFA". Devil: "And what's the 3rd?" Gamer: "Ah, enough of it, let's go!" And then devil laughed and sent him to hell... on NIGHTMARE :)

• 2 months later...

does anyone reamber playing this gem of a game?

i am still playing it!! Co-op some times but it is really fun on my own

wondering if anyone elses plays it hehe

Dante

lol i once got the demo on floppy disk, i played through it so many times, it still holds that special place as the scariest game memory. Then last month i got the full game from a mate, this ment digging up the old 98 pc for full retro gaming madness!