Ukrainian War: Prelude to Worse?

Fkemman11

Violence is not inherent in human nature like so many believe it is. For instance, Native Americans learned many of their more brutal tactics from Europeans like scalping. Before that it is chronicled that, though tribes did occasionally fight each other mostly in skirmishes to test strength (think sparring matches), they respected each other and lived in peace. Even hitting each other with a closed fist was something they learned from us and they certainly didn't kill for any other reason than to survive (and typically did not kill each other). They shared the land, tried to live in harmony with it, and were careful to hunt and fish only what they needed. In fact, the concept of land ownership had never been heard of before European arrival because they were nomads.

Hatred and war is a disease of the heart and mind that propagates itself indiscriminately. And like any other disease, the best defense is isolation from it by some natural barrier (like an ocean or space).

Quite simply...if we are to survive as a species, we must start over somewhere new and isolated from old world hatred so that we break the cycle of violence forever. And yes, that means cutting all ties with whatever is left here on Earth and forgetting (leaving behind/erasing) all our often malicious and brutal history. It will happen if we survive long enough. Too many ppl see the inevitable downfall of this world and want to escape it. :geek:

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Violence is not inherent in human nature like so many believe it is. For instance, Native Americans learned many of their more brutal tactics from Europeans like scalping. Before that it is chronicled that, though tribes did occasionally fight each other mostly in skirmishes to test strength (think sparring matches), they respected each other and lived in peace. Even hitting each other with a closed fist was something they learned from us and they certainly didn't kill for any other reason than to survive (and typically did not kill each other). They shared the land, tried to live in harmony with it, and were careful to hunt and fish only what they needed. In fact, the concept of land ownership had never been heard of before European arrival because they were nomads.

Hatred and war is a disease of the heart and mind that propagates itself indiscriminately. And like any other disease, the best defense is isolation from it by some natural barrier (like an ocean or space).

Quite simply...if we are to survive as a species, we must start over somewhere new and isolated from old world hatred so that we break the cycle of violence forever. And yes, that means cutting all ties with whatever is left here on Earth and forgetting (leaving behind/erasing) all our often malicious and brutal history. It will happen if we survive long enough. Too many ppl see the inevitable downfall of this world and want to escape it. :geek:

I don't see mankind going to the stars any time soon..... Nor do I see us leaving behind our bad habits. I expect that all we will do is expand the scope of our wars, and find other planets to spoil. That is, IF we survive long enough to make it that far. At this point, I am not holding my breath.....

Of course, there is also the real possibility that the development of a workable FTL drive, something that makes exploring other stars practical.... Might just bring the world population together.....

*snip*

I don't see mankind going to the stars any time soon..... Nor do I see us leaving behind our bad habits. I expect that all we will do is expand the scope of our wars, and find other planets to spoil. That is, IF we survive long enough to make it that far. At this point, I am not holding my breath.....

Of course, there is also the real possibility that the development of a workable FTL drive, something that makes exploring other stars practical.... Might just bring the world population together.....

Agree. That would change things significantly and then everyone can go their merry separate ways and find something else to do rather than fighting petty wars for dominance over one tiny planet. It would be such a travesty for us to arbitrarily obliterate ourselves near the dawn of exploration and discovery the likes of which we have never known.

*snip*

Agree. That would change things significantly and then everyone can go their merry separate ways and find something else to do rather than fighting petty wars for dominance over one tiny planet. It would be such a travesty for us to arbitrarily obliterate ourselves near the dawn of exploration and discovery the likes of which we have never known.

I grew up on Start Trek, Star Wars, etc. and I was hoping and praying we would have some sort of breakthrough on an FTL drive. I wanted to go out, and explore the stars, even if we were the only ones around for a ways. :D Bit old for that kind of adventure now, unfortunately. :D

There aint no FTL going on ... get over it ... we are stuck here , with each other.

I think people are inherently good , and will have a compass in on that moment.

But they develope bad habbits so easily .

And we luv to watch Arrogance get Humbled ~ the vengance streak .

Which explains why tRump is such a draw for public attention .

He begs to be humbled ... other humans can't help but try to humble him .

If we could realistically just set him at the little kids table ... done deal ... but we can't .

Years gone by will reveal tRumps True worTH .

This is horribly off topic, but, ...

Fighting and killing are a inbred characteristic of our nature as predators. We fight and kill just to survive. The problem changes when we start fighting and killing each other.

There was an experiment done in the 1950s-1970s by John Calhoun where he attempted to determine the impact of population density on animal behavior. His results have become a standard on the interaction of animals under stress.

So fighting and killing each other is an inbred characteristic of our nature. It just needs a trigger to set it off.

Fighting and killing are a inbred characteristic of our nature as predators. We fight and kill just to survive. The problem changes when we start fighting and killing each other.

There was an experiment done in the 1950s-1970s by John Calhoun where he attempted to determine the impact of population density on animal behavior. His results have become a standard on the interaction of animals under stress.

So fighting and killing each other is an inbred characteristic of our nature. It just needs a trigger to set it off.

And not very much of a trigger at that.....

And not very much of a trigger at that.....

It can't be all that bad. You're still here. I'm still here. :)

The right to protect ones self and their property is fundemental. But the right to be armed in overthrowing government is mentally ill at best. Either you use the tools of societal agreement ... or you cross the line and become an enemy to those who can . Then the question is ... what do we the people who can still maintain society do with those types of people ?

Or point blank ... the threat of violence will not be given value in the court of diplomacy.