*RANT* How The BoS Is Disgraced In FNV

scottym23

Whoops, sorry about that, hope I didnt come off as offensive. I guess it wasn't really as much as how many members wanted to help the wasteland, but more about how many members would be willing to stick with their elder no matter what. Since they are trained ever since they are children to follow the orders of the elder, it looks like the majority that stayed didn't do so for a change of heart, but for loyalty to their elder. It's been ages since I last played FO3, what was Lyon's policy on recruitment again?

You misunderstood my post. What I'm trying to say is that the Outcasts should have been the ones who wanted to help out people while the actual BoS should have stuck to its principles. I'm sure some people in the BoS would want to help the wasteland. The actual real, FO1, FO2 and New Vegas BoS(or the outcasts I guess) should have been the ones holding the Pentagon while the other group should have been much smaller, since usually the majority of the BoS favors what the New Vegas BoS, it is uncharacteristic that the majority of a BoS chapter would want to help out the wasteland.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoops, sorry about that, hope I didnt come off as offensive. I guess it wasn't really as much as how many members wanted to help the wasteland, but more about how many members would be willing to stick with their elder no matter what. Since they are trained ever since they are children to follow the orders of the elder, it looks like the majority that stayed didn't do so for a change of heart, but for loyalty to their elder. It's been ages since I last played FO3, what was Lyon's policy on recruitment again?

They allow it but, not because they like to but more because they have to. I don't know about loyalty towards the elder, Elijah was also an elder and they want him dead. It is also strange for an elder to think that way, McNamara clearly knows that the Brotherhood is going downhill when you that quest with Veronica and yet he still does nothing about it. Which is part of the reason I say the roles should be reversed, makes much more sense to have a group of a few people maybe with some high ranking officers want to go help the wasteland than having an elder decide that.

If the legitimate branch of the east coast BOS were lead by outcast types, Lyons would have been shot and his name stricken from the codex. Only a breakdown of authority by a chapter had going soft could cause a chapter schism. Otherwise the deserted world be shot and hunted down. The brotherhood does not forgive.

If the legitimate branch of the east coast BOS were lead by outcast types, Lyons would have been shot and his name stricken from the codex. Only a breakdown of authority by a chapter had going soft could cause a chapter schism. Otherwise the deserted world be shot and hunted down. The brotherhood does not forgive.

I think the troops themselves were softened after their campaign in The Pitt, if it werent for that, I guess Lyons WOULD have been erased by his soldiers.

Not exactly. People like Veronica aren't exactly rare in the Brotherhood, especially among the scribes. Its the authoritarian power and position are reinforced in their command chain, elder on down by promoting those who espouse a hard line orthodoxy. Think of it like modern Catholicism: the elders of the church are ruthlessly anti-modern and wary of any kind of reform, while the rank and file are far more liberal and open to change. Elijah was hunted down because he was a heretic. It's that breakdown of the chain of command, first by distance, then by the senior leader 'going soft' that allows it to happen. But the kernels of reform have been there since the beginning.

• 2 months later...

Not exactly. People like Veronica aren't exactly rare in the Brotherhood, especially among the scribes. Its the authoritarian power and position are reinforced in their command chain, elder on down by promoting those who espouse a hard line orthodoxy. Think of it like modern Catholicism: the elders of the church are ruthlessly anti-modern and wary of any kind of reform, while the rank and file are far more liberal and open to change. Elijah was hunted down because he was a heretic. It's that breakdown of the chain of command, first by distance, then by the senior leader 'going soft' that allows it to happen. But the kernels of reform have been there since the beginning.

indeed its so very much theyre a militant order of the catholic church only swap god for technology, eventually somones going to start a reformation that sticks and in 3 its lyons stage left filling the role of martin luther to my mind, i do prefer my brotherhood selfish sob's though, the fallout world isnt one thats well suited to actual good guys when i play its all shades of grey

Fallout is actually VERY well suited to good guys. The problem is isn't not suited to soft good guys. In Fallout, you must balance ruthlessness with altruism, and it can be a difficult one to calibrate. he rewards, as NCR shows, are great. They are the most economically and politically powerful faction in the post-war world, despite lacking the molecular assemblers and late 21st century technology available to the Vaults, to the Brotherhood, and especially the Enclave.

• 4 weeks later...

FO3's Brotherhood seemed far, far too white-knight-ish. I've always felt that the Brotherhood should be a 'Knight Templar'-like faction, and NV's lived up to that perfectly. I prefer them ruthless and with an odd code of morality, but not outright evil like some see NV's Brotherhood.

Although my headcanon for FO3's Brotherhood is that they were a much larger detachment, and Lyons began a civil war for his personal ideals of helping the Wasteland. His side narrowly won, but not before it took out most of the detachment. The 'Outcasts' we see in the game are a small unit left behind for reconnaissance.