Crash Support

RedLumian

Greetings, I've been modding Oblivion and had constant issues with random crashes (ctd's, at an unplayable rate) & thus far haven't been able to figure out why.

Before looking into things further I'm making this post, in the event someone with knowledge on this topic could spot any issues, namely on the load order which has been pasted below.

(such as any mods that are known to be too heavy/crash inducing, or the lack of mods which are designed to prevent said crashes).

The following OBSE plugins are also installed, they are not visible on the main load order:

- Engine Bug Fixes

- Oblivion Stutter Remover

- OSR Optimized Modern Quad Core 2

- Blockhead

- MenuQue

- Console Paste

- OBME

- SkyBSA

- Add Actor Values

- Ingredient Jars

- Enchanced Camera

- Show Weapons While Mounted

Any help is appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Load Order:

Oblivion.esm

IngredientJars.esm

Cobl Main.esm

Fundament.esm

All Natural Base.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm

Knights.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp

Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp

DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp

Cobl Si.esp

Cobl Glue.esp

Bundlement.esp

Extended UI.esp

Consistent Beggar Voices.esp

Symphony of Violence.esp

GOSH.esp

GOSH - All Natural Patch.esp

nu_female_player_idle.esp

SpellSinger.esp

LegionInteractAnims.esp

MigWolfRestore.esp

All Natural.esp

All Natural - SI.esp

All Natural - Real Lights.esp

Unique Landscapes.esp

Grass Overhaul.esp

Falling Leaves.esp

PTFallingStars.esp

SnowGusts.esp

Enhanced Water v2.0 HD.esp

Real Lava 1.3.esp

24HrArenaAliveV2.esp

More Magical Mages Guilds Clean.esp

Better Abandoned House.esp

Cheydinhal Land Texture Fix.esp

Better Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.esp

hackdirtabyss.esp

Glowing Wonders.esp

SkycaptainsBloodTime.esp

Improved Fires and Flames - Increased Sound.esp

Glowing Fractured Soulgems.esp

Initial Glow Redux.esp

Initial Glow Redux - Creatures.esp

WindowLightingSystem.esp

Better Atronachs.esp

ImprovedSigns.esp

Reworked Posts.esp

RoadLights.esp

Alluring Potion Bottles v3.esp

Alluring Wine Bottles.esp

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp

OOOShiveringIsles.esp

OOOShiveringIsles_OCO_Patch.esp

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul - Knights of Nine.esp

Cobl Tweaks - OOO.esp

Ultimate Leveling.esp

LegionCombatAdditions.esp

EnhancedMountedCombat.esp

SupremeMagickaLite.esp

EnchantmentMastery.esp

Complete Enchantment Overhaul.esp

More Effective Enchantments.esp

Soulgem Magic.esp

RshAlchemy.esp

RshAlchemyRecipes.esp

MercerIngredientsCore.esp

MercerIngredientsMaskarsOO.esp

MercerIngredientsOOO.esp

AliveWaters.esp

AliveWaters - Koi Addon.esp

AliveWaters - Slaughterfish Addon.esp

Alive Waters Ingredients Patch.esp

Enhanced Economy.esp

PersuasionOverhaul_OOO.esp

Mages Guild Quests.esp

Fighters Guild Quests.esp

bladesfactionmod.esp

Nekhanimal's Awesome Vampire Mod.esp

NekhanimalLifeDetect.esp

NAVM GREETING fix.esp

GuildAdvancement.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

Oblivion Subtle Sprint.esp

Retroactive Health.esp

Lava Does Fire Damage.esp

Enemy Weapons dont drop.esp

Command Mount.esp

Knights Infamy.esp

Practical Training.esp

Actually Valuable Valuables.esp

StolenItemOwnership.esp

Rebalanced and Unleveled QGR.esp

RebalancedArenaGoldRewards.esp

Map Marker Overhaul.esp

Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp

BookTrackerUpdatedv1.1.esp

Birthsign Zero.esp

Birthsigns Expanded.esp

Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp

OCO DLC Faces.esp

MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp

Nightmist Manor.esp

Nightmist Manor - AN Patch.esp

Vanilla Gear Redux.esp

nu_dwarven_f_cuirass.esp

strTrollfstaffreplacer.esp

Artifacts Redone.esp

Unique Artifacts for Unique People.esp

BetterLegendaryItems.esp

OCOv2 - Filter Patch for Mods.esp

OCO Elf Eyes Fix.esp

OCO_Eyes_Fix.esp

Cobl Filter Late MERGE ONLY.esp

All Natural - Indoor Weather Filter For Mods.esp

FormID Finder4.esp

Purge Cell Buffers ++.esp

Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Synx.esp

Plate of the Shadow.esp

extavegant masks.esp

Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul.esp

Edited by RedLumian

MessageLogger?

Cleaned your mods using TES4Edit?

Load order tool?

Checked for conflicts using ObMM?

Don't have MessageLogger, will download
Yes, everything is cleaned
Load order is manually sorted (don't trust LOOT with these things)
Not using ObMM, using MO2 instead (is there an alternative program to check for these conflicts?)
Edited by RedLumian

If you manually sorted that gigantic load order by hand then no wonder your game is crashing. You should let the mod organizer do that. I use TesModManager with BOSS to sort my load order. Works like a charm.

Completely possible, would you happen to know if it's safe to change the load order mid-game? (not currently sure about that)

If you manually sorted that gigantic load order by hand then no wonder your game is crashing. You should let the mod organizer do that. I use TesModManager with BOSS to sort my load order. Works like a charm.

Completely possible, would you happen to know if it's safe to change the load order mid-game? (not currently sure about that

Yes it's in general OK to change your load order mid game (with the exception of removing some mods that imbed info into the the ESS save file).

Note that BOSS is no longer updated so it will be necessary to create User Rules for newer unrecognized mods. Not a big deal if you are used to manually sorting (the same general rules for load order still apply). I also open the BOSS list in Notepad to use it as a guide (looking for mods similar to the unrecognized one).

Completely possible, would you happen to know if it's safe to change the load order mid-game? (not currently sure about that

Yes it's in general OK to change your load order mid game (with the exception of removing some mods that imbed info into the the ESS save file).

Note that BOSS is no longer updated so it will be necessary to create User Rules for newer unrecognized mods. Not a big deal if you are used to manually sorting (the same general rules for load order still apply). I also open the BOSS list in Notepad to use it as a guide (looking for mods similar to the unrecognized one).

That is good to know, better to avoid another restart if possible.
Might not need manual sorting if LOOT can do the job, assuming it's "compatible" with Oblivion and up to date.

That is good to know, better to avoid another restart if possible.
Might not need manual sorting if LOOT can do the job, assuming it's "compatible" with Oblivion and up to date.

I haven't used LOOT myself (I tend to hang onto what I know) but many do use it. LOOT is maintained so all but the most recent mods should be recognized.

Not that I can find anything odd really as you do let MOO to handle OOO but you can skip this one UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp and use the same tweak that is available in Wrye bash settings if you want. Not that it matters any but you save a mod slot at least.

I see that you miss EngineBugfixes and also ENBoost. Install them and see if it works better. Do take a peek in my mod list here to see if there is something else you miss? Performance Sounds is also good for stability really. I do get crashed, but maybe ones every or every second day, the game is very buggy. :D As long as I am around my own house testing, it is very rare I crash.

You could also install Consribe and Crash Logger to try to get logs that might give clues about what is happening. Mostly the Crash Logger do not write the last line when the game crashes. I do see that some NPC often have problems to get their heads to attach properly, well the Logs say so at least time to time. :D

---------------------------

I quote myself... I do keep the MOO info in the beginning in case someone else finds it useful :D

---------------------------

Cool. Oki. Let me present my list anyway. MOO can be added in the end, let MOO control OOO and the world spawning. I combine MOO with WAC Overhaul. MOO can be combined with anything, like MMM as well. So I guess you do miss some vital stuff. Your list looks very very different from mine. The best textures for Dungeons and everywhere is Qarl's but if you prefer dark dungeons, then skip Qarl's. Qarl made the best stuff ever and I learned a lot from him but he is no longer among us. He solved stuff 2006 when we went from Morrowind to learn how the H to mod Oblivion. We lost contact 2008.

MOO is so new, well newer than your list I guess. Moo was released 2 years ago. Maskar still try to make it funnier I guess, at least what I understood during our short chats. I gave him some stuff, like new arrows and some ini edits I made for new recipes. Lots of the fixes is newer too I guess. Lets see when or if there will be a new MOO later on.
Pekka, stop babble and shoot: Yes, so lets take a peek. Fixes is the most important o install anyway, The rest is just fun stuff.
--------------------------------------------
This will be a bloody wall of text. I am sorry for that so start in one end and choose what sounds interesting. Do not skip any fixes really... use them all.
--------------------------------------------
I strongly suggest following bug fixes and mods that makes Oblivion better, more good looking and less instability. Performance is the key.
Mods and tools
Wrye Bash - The original mod manager made 2004 for Morrowind and now it supports all Bethesda games and it still gets updated and is still supported by Wrye and is the most well made one ever. I chatted with him not long ago at his support chat, asking him about my lost paintings that he endorced at UESP. :D
MOO - Best Oblivion mod ever made by the brilliant Maskar - Best Overhaul ever made. High performance too and it does not touch the game as it is all scripted. The game stays clean and stabile. Put this mod after Wrye Bash Patch, last in your loading order, well before my addons for it of course. It must run before my addon... :/ (Works great with OOO or MMM or WAC)
WAC - Adds so much fun stuff, animals, weapons, you name it. So fun mod. MOO and WAC works best together, not stand alone. :wink: Maskar strongly suggest that we use WAC with MOO to get all extra fancy and fun stuff in game. Both are Overhauls, and the best ones I ever used as it keeps the game balanced and not boring. Vanilla game is boring.
Ultimate Leveling - Choose between exp or skill leveling in the ini or from the in game menu. I prefer skills as exp makes no sense what so ever. I really hate exp based games as they do not make any sense at all. All skills counts. Main skills full points and minor skills 10%. So damn well made by Maskar, the author of MOO.
Bugfixes and tools
SkyBSA - If you use custom textures, you must use this to make them load in game, like Qarls retexture or any retexture.
EngineBugFixes - Bugfixes
Unofficial Bugfixes - Patch Oblivion
Unofficial Bugfixes for all DLCs and Oblivion - 3 all together? - Bugfixes SI as one example
ENBoost- Bugfixes
ENB v0.295 - Bugfixes
More Cool and fun mods
Retros Fletching - Make your own arrows, from bones and other stuff you find. I love the bone arrow :D
Knights Revelation - Best Oblivion story and quest driven mod I guess. So fun to play and it made Knights DLC worth the money, as it was expensive to buy back then. You got not much for those money honestly... This mod makes Knights into a brilliant and fun DLC.
Frostcrag expansion - Takes you deep inside a new world. Extremely well made.
Archeology - The Lost Spires - Brilliant fun quest mod. (External DL)
Fighters Guild - Extra quests
Mages Guild - Extra quests
Adventurers Guild - Extra quests
The order of the Phoenix - My first quest dungeon from 2006 - I still like it but it only has 1h game play... :wink: Making such a dungeon takes a week and it is all over after 1h only.... :/
Qarls textures made 2006 - and they are still the best textures ever made with high performance, nothing gets better than he did it. He was the best artist we had 2006 and still is a genius. Old stuff does not mean bad stuff, as it means quality stuff. Highest quality ever. Trust me, I have tested plenty of them and flushed them again... Qarl tought me a lot 2004-2008, as we where in the same forum. If it was not for him, my mods would never existed. I guess we all need mentors that guide us. And once more: R.I.P Qarl. We miss you, a lot. DAMN!!!! We sure lost onne of the most brilliant person ever for this community... :/
FEA for arrow enchanting
Alchemy Enhanced or Advanced rather. - For better options and faster potion making - Instead of making 1 potion at a time, you can make batches of unlitied amount within a second. Faster brewing than this is impossible. Trust me.
OCO2 for better good looking NPC's
Blockhead to make OCO2 to work at all.
Bodies? This is a very personal area, and hard to say, use this or use that. I use HGEC and i do think it has the most variable armor and clothes made for it today. I used BAB 2006 but it is a bit old now, This body mod also has an underwear version and you can make your female chars and NPCs to have any form and size. Loads of different textures for this body as well. Look around and find the ones you like best really. Search for Body in the search field at Nexus mods and see.
My old char with BAB from 2006 or 2007, do not remember really...
13823-5-1194469355.jpg
Current char, Gigaduex Armor just released
51938-1651155505-598509291.jpeg
Gigadeux more dry surface
51938-1651406091-1162569185.jpeg
If you later want to use COBL and denock use OBSE or xOBSE max version v21.5 as 22.x do not work with denocking arrows. My own mod is based on COBL and all cool tools in it. I also made an addon for MOO. Not released yet but I do it very very soon, next week or so, 2 years of hard work all together. My goal is to let the game be much more funnier than it already is. This is my way to try that. 2 years development... https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/9160783-wip-the-companion-friendly-hobbit-home
I do test the latest xOBSE right now with good results. I installed it last week. So far so good. My BUG report for xOBSE 22.x is now closed. OBSE works from 2013 but it is 9 years old. Idle knows what he is doing. xOBSE will be damn great and is great already. Still under development by Idle who knows OBSE more than anyone else. I hope he one day solve the string bloating issues with con_save. All modder's that use strings, must destruct them to keep the saves clean. That's the way it is now.
So much fun stuff. so much to do still. :D Peek for more in our Mod Section
Gigadeux armor? This is the original that I ported to Oblivion, with some help from SunlitEarth, with permissions from this very nice modder ZapgiL. Screenshots taken yesterday with a new char. Bonus picture: :D (I play Skyrim at weekends, 2-3 days. And also some Morrowind, for screenshots for my books. I can play Morrowind whenever I like. I do have a nice setup running.)
52072186122_049bd4cc75_k.jpg
Edited by Pellape