Mods to deal with the level scaling

TenShadows

I haven't played Oblivion in a fair while. Back in the day it was basically required to put up either OOO or Francesco's to get rid of bandits with glass armor and make leveling actually enjoyable. Of the two I used to prefer Francesco's because OOO added too much of its own stuff.

My question is, though, does this still hold true after all these years? Do these old champions still rule uncontested, or are there other options for me that have surfaced, new mods that have dealt with the changing times and that I might actually enjoy more?

Yes, there are some newer mods which remove automatic leveling.

For example: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/51737 (LVL1 Unleveled spawns)

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/51605 (Oblivion Level Scaling Cap)

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/50237 (Ascension - Immersive Vanilla "Overhaul")

But you must try for yourself to see, if one of these will suit you.

I do prefer when stuff level up honestly. I am a bit tired of one shot everything.

But to glue everything together in a nice, way, you can combine those overhauls with the most modern Overhaul called MOO, Maskars oblivion Overhaul and he also set a lot of creatures and NPC's to fixed levels, which I edited in an addon to my own mod, to set a majority of them to level offset, as that is what I prefer and I use MOO and also WAC as masters in that addon, if anyone are interested in the opposite. I could make a stand alone release of that specific addon if someone would prefer that really.

Otherwise I do recommend my own modlist, but that was not what you asked for, but see it as a bonus :D I do mention MOO in it as well among some other cool stuff like WAC and fixes. MOO are made in a way to add stuff into the game without touching the cells them self, making it more diverse and stable that way. It is made to work with all Overhawl's, either stand alone or a combination of them. Maskar is a brilliant active modder and he is working on an update, with some new stuff. :wink: I asked him when we can expect to see a WIP or some info of the new changes, but he said it is still not time to release any info at this point, but he will when it is time for it he did say, approx 4 weeks ago.

Edited by Pellape

i do have to ask what is the point of having all set to lvl 1? I did the oposite 2008, set every mob to lvl 50, and suddenly I had to use 6 companions to win any battle against some Goblins and the battles became a bit to hard but I was on the edge to quit so I did... :wink: In Skyrim, I sneak and one hit everything 2019 and that was extremely boring, so I quit playing it. Now when I play it again, I am in the same position, but one hit kill everything with a bow instead. But setting everything to lvl 1, still, what is the point?

I did not need to edit the MOO ini files much, but I did edit his Ultimate leveling ini file some, which he also made. I did edit the resource and crafting ini files and sent them to Maskar so he could implement some new recipes in the next update and I hope he do not forget about them, he seemed pleased with my suggestions of new resources, Mostly recipes for cooking the COBL recipes and COBL stuff.

Ultimate leveling? Well that is another way of dealing with leveled stuff and become very powerful. That mod will send your abilities way above 100, depending on your 7 top skills but it takes all skills in count, less points from the rest of the skills than your 7 min ones though. You can choose between exp or skill leveling. If you choose exp, it is pointless to have all targets set to lvl 1 for sure as then your leveling progress will take forever. Exp leveling is based on the targets levels and you get the points when your target dies. I did choose skill leveling as that makes more sense as I do dislike exp leveling systems a lot really. I do guess Bethesda took skill leveling from an old game called Ultima, and I made that guess because you choose 7 skills in that game as well but only 7 skills of 49 available, no minor skills, but you can choose to have 5 skills 100, 1 to 70, 1 to 20 and 1 to 10 as you can provide all 700 skill points as you see fit. You could get 5 skills to 140 if that was what you would prefer later on in an update that made many PvP players a bit pissed off. So damn boring game, when i think about it. :wink: Ultima online.

To get all skills available to me, I had to create 2 accounts and have 10 chars. It also did cost me double € every month.

Edited by Pellape

i do have to ask what is the point of having all set to lvl 1? I did the oposite 2008, set every mob to lvl 50, and suddenly I had to use 6 companions to win any battle against some Goblins and the battles became a bit to hard but I was on the edge to quit so I did... :wink: In Skyrim, I sneak and one hit everything 2019 and that was extremely boring, so I quit playing it. Now when I play it again, I am in the same position, but one hit kill everything with a bow instead. But setting everything to lvl 1, still, what is the point?

My mod doesn't set everything to level 1. The "Lvl1" prefix refers to the fact that every item/NPC/creature can spawn starting at level 1.

I think I like what Maskar's is doing with this thing, with easy enemies near cities and harder ones out in the wilderness. It seems like exactly the sort of a thing I was hoping. Problem is, Maskar's also comes with a whole boatload of other things that I never cared about nor would want in my game anyway.

Any mod out there that does a similar thing with leveling but comes with less baggage?

There's no magic bullet with this. If you unlevel it too much you get a world that is too hard in the beginning levels and too easy in the later levels. I finally settled on OOO with COBL. The game is harder in the beginning, is great in the middle, and still becomes too easy at the end. I like the loot system, the new armors and weapons, and the new creatures and NPCs. But, I have been tinkering with it and anything else I can think of for the past 10 years. Yet, it's never perfect and I have to find new things to toy with as I play it. The quest to get the perfect system from start to finish never ends!

In my opinion it has to be leveled. Just not like Bethesda did it.

Edited by GamerRick

I recall Morrowind being pretty good with it. Every bandit was leveled, every Daedric gear deliberately placed, everything meticulously crafted. That would be the true Holy Grail. Alas, I suspect it would be impossible in Oblivion, or at least way too much trouble for its worth.

All games gets to easy fast, specially Skyrim, when you use the alchemy and enchanting system combined, you get so powerful equipment, that you one shot kill everything, well except dragons. I stopped to level at lvl 84 as it is no point going higher. I get perks through the missive system and next month i bet I have filled up every perk, slowly but steady.

Only way to make Morrowind harder is to install Giants. I am lvl 130 or something as i did remove the lvl 100 limit. I use crossbow mostly but also some destruction magic.

Oblivion? I did set the lvl limit to lvl 65 in Ultimate Leveling ini file but I am lvl 67 now with ALL skills at top. I do not one hit kill anything, well nothing of those I did edit myself. My 3 small tiny pet companions are more powerful then my char is, and I am happy with that really. I support them and not vice verse the way I play now and i like it. It is the same way you play the hunter in WoW.

Daggerfall? I forgot the lvl but I play a mage as it is so damn hard to play melee or an archer. Magery rules in this now free TES 2 game.

Edited by Pellape