Does Fallout 4 have a BA2 limit?

mac2636

By Powershell's count of number of ba2s, my limits are as follows.

\Vortex\Games\fallout4\Stage = 448

\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4\Data = 482

I do not believe it is total size related but could be wrong. I tested the size by unpacking the PEACEKEEPER - Main.ba2 file which is 44,739 KB then launching the game successfully.

I then repacked PEACEKEEPER - Main.ba2 and tried to start the game with the resulting CTD just before the menu appears.

Then I unpacked Cyber-Light Hand Cannon - Main.BA2 which is 6,244 KB and launched the game successfully.

Not 100% accurate test but based on my results, I'm pretty sure for me, it is the number of ba2s that are the limiting factor.

Next step. Find out which ba2s are in the Data folder but not in Vortex's Stage folder and why. Then test if the limit is related to the Fallout 4 Data folder or Vortex Stage folder.

Definitely worth looking into. I wonder if it's more a "total size of BA2s" limit rather than "total number of BA2s" limit? I would imagine loading from archives requires the game to either load the entire thing into memory or at least the index tables.

Sorry to do a direct reply, but do you think it would be a good idea to change the title of the thread in case other people are looking for info regarding a limit on ba2s?

Were you able to find a specific number where it started to go wrong?

By Powershell's count of number of ba2s, my limits are as follows.

\Vortex\Games\fallout4\Stage = 448

\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4\Data = 482

Haven't had a chance to determine if the limit is triggered by the number in the Data folder, but my assumption is that is indeed the case