ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

[WIP] Apocalypse New

EnaiSiaion

Enai, how compatibility with requiem/skyre will work?

What, now people need to know "HOW"??

EnaiSiaion,

It's commendable to be making a version that is compatible with giant overhauls, but, don't stifle your creativity too much to accommodate it, plenty of users don't use them :wink:

LOL LOLOLOL Everyone uses an overhaul. Thunderchild's SkyRe patch has 20% the downloads of the main patch file. And that's from an audience that actually goes looking for mods beyond just what SkyRe gives them. Add Requiem and I'd say 30-40%.

Perhaps you could approach plagues or evil twins in a new and interesting way. Illusion is a very interesting school in pen and paper, I think, because if you're creative you can use it in all sorts of interesting ways. It tends to fall into CC, Buffs, or Debuffs in video games. Oh well.

It is game breaking in PnP unless the world is adapted to it, in which case the world is strange indeed.

It is fairly easy to make it more "realistic" in video games, the problem is this makes it either game breaking or useless. If the game is about combat, then controlling NPC thoughts is useless. If there is anything valuable to be achieved by talking to people or incapacitating them, then it is OP. For instance, frenzy is a fairly basic illusion ability, and it is insanely overpowered and only held back by an arbitrary level cap.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't use overhauls like those, Enai. :tongue: They're just not for me and I'm one of the very few that don't like them much. Now Better Vampires, DCO, Fire and Ice Overhaul, and Magic Duel Reborn? Oh yes indeedly.

Edit: But I do understand that most people do use them! I'm just not in that everyone category, but I don't mind either way if it's compatible or not, so long as there's not a requirement for it to use it at all. xD

Edited by pheo3309

Restoration spell list

Novice

Bone Spirit
Homing spirit that follows the target (living or dead, doesn't matter) and explodes on arrival, dealing 50 aoe damage to undead.
Circle of Strength
Steals 4 stamina per second from each enemy in the circle.
Apprentice
Bleedout
Places a blood curse on the target. If the target loses 50% health in 8 seconds, the target dies.
Circle of Scorn
Enemies in the circle lose 10% weapon damage and you gain 10% weapon damage for each enemy in the circle.
Leech Seed
Steals 5 life per second from the target, and restores 10 life per target level if the target dies while this is active.
Mystic Wind
Regenerate 10 magicka per second while sprinting.
Necroplague
Infects a target at or below 25% health, dealing 5 dps for 30 seconds. The disease spreads onto targets that stay within 10 range for 2 seconds or longer, regardless of their health.
Slay Living
Kills living target with 25% or less health remaining.
Adept
Circle of the Moons
Steals 8 magicka per second from each target in the circle.
Finger of Death
Kills target and deals 125% of its health as damage to you.
Horrid Wilting
Throw a skull that explodes and deals 60 damage to enemies affected by alchemical poison or by Necroplague, +90 damage vs plant creatures.
Orcish Healing
Damage self for 50 health, then regenerate 200 over 10 seconds.
Ruin
Permanently reduces all of the target's skill levels by 3.
Twist of Fate
After 10 seconds, if you have lost health, you gain twice that much, and if you have gained health, you lose twice that much.
Expert
Channel Energies
Target is forced to cast the self-only spell in your other hand.
Condemn
Curses a target for 60 seconds, dealing 25 dps if the target's skill levels are 0.
Cull The Weak
Curses a target for 60 seconds, killing the target when its stamina and magicka are reduced to 0.
Equalize
Averages the health percentages of the caster and target.
Lifebloom
Restores 300 health over 10 seconds, but only 10 seconds after casting it.
Skill Tap
For 120 seconds, you steal 10 points of every skill level the target has above 75.
Master
Breath of Arkay
Heals 100 points. Heals 300 bonus points when casting into the sun, but also blinds the caster for a short time.
Circle of Death
Kills enemies inside the circle with 30% or less health.
Culling Rune
Deals 200 poison damage over 10 seconds and instantly kills targets 8 or more levels below the caster.
Dust To Dust
Kills nearby undead with 40% or less health.
Infinite Light
Concentrate to cast a massive beam that heals a target by 250 points per second, but has a 3 second cast time.
Valkyrie
For 120 seconds, nearby corpses are consumed, giving the caster 250 magicka for each corpse.
There was also the opposite of Equalize, a blood spell that makes the health % difference between caster and target twice as big, but it was disabled for being extremely cheesy. Target is at 50% -> cast this -> target is now at 25% -> Slay Living.
Also, your stats are restored when you cast a healing spell, just in case you get on a netherlich's bad side.
Bonus fact: it is not a coincidence that there's a Circle of Scorn and a Circle of the Moons.
Edited by EnaiSiaion

I think, in your endeavour to avoid making OP spells, you may have gone too far the other way on a couple of these. Well, just Necroplague and Horrid Wilting really. If I were making those two spells (not that I could anyway), I'd remove the health threshold for Necroplague and make the <25% point the health level required for it to spread (almost like you're turning your targets into walking plague bombs) and for Horrid Wilting, I'd suggest just requiring a debuff of some kind, be it Ruin, Circle of Scorn, Bleedout .etc (or you could keep those requirements but have it deal only 30 damage to enemies who don't meet either requirement).

Just my two cents, I know you probably want to save the truly direct damage for destruction but plague and poison just seem to fit into "the manipulation of life energies" (or at least plague does, seeing as it's basically the production/promotion of tiny microorganisms inside the body).

There's no such thing as "a debuff". What you want is a magiceffect whitelist which means every other spell mod in existence needs a compatibility patch, etc. Daedric cows were already a problem and half of the reason why contingencies are being replaced is to get rid of those.

If you limit the spreading instead of the initial infection (or just don't limit the infection) then people will just cast this on everyone and ignore the spreading mechanics. Might as well make it a single target dps spell then.

Anyway when other mod sites casually mention "if you want OP spells then get Apoc" then I can't afford a single OP spell, because that's what it comes down to: oh, these two spells are too strong, I guess the mod is imbalanced now.

There's no such thing as "a debuff". What you want is a magiceffect whitelist which means every other spell mod in existence needs a compatibility patch, etc. Daedric cows were already a problem and half of the reason why contingencies are being replaced is to get rid of those.

If you limit the spreading instead of the initial infection (or just don't limit the infection) then people will just cast this on everyone and ignore the spreading mechanics. Might as well make it a single target dps spell then.

Anyway when other mod sites casually mention "if you want OP spells then get Apoc" then I can't afford a single OP spell, because that's what it comes down to: oh, these two spells are too strong, I guess the mod is imbalanced now.

As far as the debuff goes, you could potentially decide which of YOUR spells qualify as a debuff. Perhaps even just adding a secondary effect to any spells you add which you'd like to consider and checking for that secondary effect to be present. Mind you, I like it the way it is. This is just a possible way if you decided you wanted to change it. Random ideas :)

For the rest, I wish I could argue. It frustrates me that you're correct.

Question about the destruction school. Apocalypse says you cast a bunch of meteors. Do meteors catch the land on fire (grass, wood, etc) for 30 to 60 seconds? What this mod really needs is a napalm spell, but I don't know enough to tell if you already have one.

I ask because I want to download apocalypse new and start quoting Col Kilgore. That's all.

Edited by Mathalor

Very nice work, Enai, but I still feel underwhelmed by Restoration Master spells. Infinite Light is entirely subsumed by the vanilla Grand Healing spell - when do you need to heal a single target by 250 points badly enough to spend 3 seconds doing it? Maybe it could also damage undead and instantly kill weaker vampires. Similarly, Breath of Arkay lacks applications and doesn't feel powerful enough for a Master spell. Valkyrie is a great concept, but doesn't give enough of a boost to be useful by the time you're casting Master spells - a spell power buff might be nice.

Yeahh... I actually agree... with cheese on those two spells.

Maybe adding an fortify health effect to Breath of Arkay... when it is casted into the sun would do the trick?

Alsoo... I have some doubt about Condemn... I mean it looks ok but... I think that reducing the enemy skill levels via Ruin would take really a lot....

Edited by Tykiii