Thoughts on the new NVIDIA RTX Remix modding tool?

ukprakash

Not sure if you all saw the recent September 2022 NVIDIA Keynote, but they discussed/presented very briefly something called RTX Remix. From my understanding, it's a modding tool that will allow folks to grab assets from existing DirectX 8 and 9 games and allows them to remaster them using AI.

The goal seems to be:

- Remaster textures to higher quality level using AI

- Add PBR properties to said textures

- Add global illumination/raytracing and updating light sources to allow for this

There seems to be much more to this, you can look through in the link below to their announcement page.

What do you all think of this?

NVIDIA RTX Remix Announcement/Breakdown:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-remix-announcement/

The graphics update is impressive, looks better than any HD texture pack I've seen, but I think it kinda makes everything feel the same. Morrowind and Mount & Blade look almost identical with the filter on. I'm also a little worried about the effect on atmosphere. Like in the Morrowind screenshots in the castle, the original picture is pretty dark and blue-ish while the updated one is very bright and warm. Gives off a completely different vibe.

I think people worry too much about graphics. Graphics don't make a game, good storytelling and fun gameplay do.

The graphics update is impressive, looks better than any HD texture pack I've seen, but I think it kinda makes everything feel the same. Morrowind and Mount & Blade look almost identical with the filter on. I'm also a little worried about the effect on atmosphere. Like in the Morrowind screenshots in the castle, the original picture is pretty dark and blue-ish while the updated one is very bright and warm. Gives off a completely different vibe.

I think people worry too much about graphics. Graphics don't make a game, good storytelling and fun gameplay do.

I don't this is a filter, but a modding tool/process that allows the modder to create textures using AI, adding PBR properties to them, and then adding Raytracing effects to them. It also gives them complete freedom to also change the scene up by adding additional items that were not inherently in the scene. They have, I feel, full control on the textures and lighting conditions they want to add to the scene.

Only difference is that now they have much more creative freedom and capability to add modern features to a very old game.

Main issue I am seeing, and others have pointed out, is that since this currently only works on Directx 8 and 9 games, this pipeline, as far as my understanding, will only work on the very original skyrim, and not the HD remaster.

I think it looks like a fantastic real-time tool similar to ENB Series in game tool. Regarding the way mount and blade and Morrowind had a similar look after RTX. I would say that comes down more to the preference and taste of the modder. It was clear that light source color and output could be adjusted. So I think this was just coincidence that both looked similar. Im sure the ability to adjust parameters exists. If I was personally creating an RTX overhaul. I would put focus primarily on realism of shadows and natural lighting. Edited by faroffmods

Not sure if you all saw the recent September 2022 NVIDIA Keynote, but they discussed/presented very briefly something called RTX Remix. From my understanding, it's a modding tool that will allow folks to grab assets from existing DirectX 8 and 9 games and allows them to remaster them using AI.

The goal seems to be:

- Remaster textures to higher quality level using AI

- Add PBR properties to said textures

- Add global illumination/raytracing and updating light sources to allow for this

There seems to be much more to this, you can look through in the link below to their announcement page.

What do you all think of this?

NVIDIA RTX Remix Announcement/Breakdown:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-remix-announcement/

it appears to me like an additional tool set with enormous potential and as an addon to what already exists (all kind of existing effects, shader tools and improved textures). i don't see it as a replacement at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Buy the new RTX 30 or 40 series is an added sales pitch for them. Seen the RTX 4090 series advertisements yet?

RTX Mix is Easy to use? Yeah I remember that the Garden of Eden Creation Kit was said to be easy to mod with too.

HEY TEACHER! Do I have to study for it? Or will it all magically do what I think I want it to without having to go to Summer School?