Bunker Hill CTD's

pharo3331

I recently did a small settlement build at Bunker Hill [2 months ago] did the usual scrapping of trash, cars etc ... now every time I go there my game crashes I have not installed any mods other than one for clothing/armour which I disabled but made no difference still crashes ... is there any way to fix this in game other than going back to before I did the build [not a preferred solution] or is there a mod that can fix this ... any and all suggestions welcome

I recently did a small settlement build at Bunker Hill [2 months ago] did the usual scrapping of trash, cars etc ... now every time I go there my game crashes I have not installed any mods other than one for clothing/armour which I disabled but made no difference still crashes ... is there any way to fix this in game other than going back to before I did the build [not a preferred solution] or is there a mod that can fix this ... any and all suggestions welcome

The problem is (most likely) that the damage is done. (& can not be restored)

One of the main reasons I don't use scrap mods. (neither use the console to delete stuff.)

You will probably have to revert to an old save, prior to you scrapping anything at bunker hill.

You say you only have/had clothing/armor mods, so, then how did you do the scrapping?

by console? (not that it matters much.)

edit:

To avoid most problems you should actually NEVER delete anything. Just move it out of sight. (like, below the ground) 'cause any call to a deleted reference will crash the game and CTD. (which is likely what happened here)

Edited by RoNin1971

Apologies for late reply [in hospital] many thanks for all your replies ... I appreciate your opinions ... unfortunately due to other minor problems I have decided to just start a new game and hopefully avoid the same problem ... again many thanks

Apologies for late reply [in hospital] many thanks for all your replies ... I appreciate your opinions ... unfortunately due to other minor problems I have decided to just start a new game and hopefully avoid the same problem ... again may thanks

Hope you are ok.......

it is great that you start a new game. some posts already mentioned a reason for instabilities: you probably scrapped a wrong object, a fixed part of an object package which optimizes game performance. if you scrap such an object you can be sure to produce visual glitches and instabilities including ctd. saving after scrapping the wrong object means you backed the gliches into your save. be cautious with any scrap mod if they enable you to remove static objects which are not scrappable with vanilla settings. they can destroy performance and stability of your game. read the posts in the mod threads. if posting is disabled ignore the mod.

• 10 months later...

Not to necro an old thread but I've recently discovered what causes (for me) the "random" crashes in around Bunker Hill: It's the follower(s) (not Dogmeat). I've tested that several times with various mod setups and the result is consistent. If I dismiss all followers (Dogmeat is ok to keep) there is no crash at all but if I have one (or more) follower then there is a crash after some time. I've tried to narrow down the exact cause and it seems that they have trouble with pathfinding when trying to follow you.

To reproduce that just have some followers and run around Bunker Hill --> crash. Now dismiss all and do the same --> no crash.

In Workshop mode Dogmeat is just waiting and so is one (vanilla) additional follower. But if you have more then they follow you around --> crash.

Cheers Euclid