Enemy Within Discovery Thread

Krazyguy75

Sorry, quick update :

The code in XComHumanPawn.state'InHQ'.SetInventory only affects the appearance of the soldier when viewed in the Barracks.

To alter how the soldier looks in the tactical game the code in XGBattleDesc.BuildSoldierContent has to be modded:

kContent.iPawn = MapSoldierToPawn(kTransfer.kChar.kInventory.iArmor, kTransfer.kSoldier.kAppearance.iGender, class'XComPerkManager'.static.HasAnyGeneMod(kTransfer.kChar.aUpgrades));

This again calls the MapSoldierToPawn function, so changing that function would change the behavior for both Barracks/Tactical.

I'd had to mod this function in EU in order to get the SHIVs to correctly display the Minigun weapon outline when the Sentry Gun was equipped.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Amineri

On abilities, we got quite a few more than in EU, it's just that they removed almost all the unused ones (I noticed flame was still in, separate from MEC_Flamethrower, but I didn't check: is command still in the code? I want to give that to EXALT elites to make them an even more terrifying team.

It looks like the hex change you could use on EU to access the developer console and shell menus does not work with EW.

You don't need the developer console anyway. You can Google "XCOM Console Keybindings" and the first result should tell you how to put all of your console commands as keybindings anyway. I used that back in EU for takenodamage so that if an enemy killed my soldier hunkered down behind full cover, I could stop it just by pressing U twice (once to activate takenodamage right before the attack hit, once to deactivate it right after). I called it the "OH SH-- button" and ended up using it for the stated purpose far more times than I should have had to. :laugh:

Regarding perks and abilities. Unfortunately the game itself blurs the line here, but from a code perspective these things are quite distinct.

Perks are drawn from the enum XGTacticalGameCoreNativeBase.EPerkType -- in EU this had 111 entries, while in EW the list has been expanded to 172.

Abilities are drawn from the enum XGTacticalGameCoreData.EAbility -- in EU this had 89 entries, while in EW the list has been expanded to 96.

As you can see there are 61 new perks but only 7 new abilities.

I poked around a bit for the perks, and it seems like the new perks corresponded to, like you said, everything concerning a passive bonus or active ability.

As for the abilities, there are 9 MEC abilities alone, not counting new item abilities or new enemy abilities. Checking back, this seems to be because they removed a bunch of the unused and deprecated abilities in order to make way for the new ones (some of which they changed in-place and some of which they moved and put at the end...? Not sure why they didn't use a uniform method), but I see that the psi abilities I mentioned were in the EU abilities list anyway, eAbility_PsiReflect is the only new psi one. (EDIT: Krazyguy75 pointed this out while I was typing up this huge response... d'oh!)

That being said - and assuming adding abilities to things works this way - the new MEC abilities I mentioned could be added into the ABILITIES[X] array for certain standard soldier armor to turn, say, ghost armor (which is rendered much less useful by mimetic skin and muscle fiber implants) into EMP armor to use against Mechtoids and Sectopods. (That 50% damage reduction on Sectopods hurts.)

Also, for future reference, the EXALT-only gene mods

ePerk_GeneMod_AdrenalineSurge,
ePerk_GeneMod_IronSkin,
ePerk_GeneMod_RegenPheromones,

are available for when people start modding the gene tree.

Edited by fardriel

It looks like the hex change you could use on EU to access the developer console and shell menus does not work with EW.

You don't need the developer console anyway. You can Google "XCOM Console Keybindings" and the first result should tell you how to put all of your console commands as keybindings anyway. I used that back in EU for takenodamage so that if an enemy killed my soldier hunkered down behind full cover, I could stop it just by pressing U twice (once to activate takenodamage right before the attack hit, once to deactivate it right after). I called it the "OH SH-- button" and ended up using it for the stated purpose far more times than I should have had to. :laugh:

Regarding perks and abilities. Unfortunately the game itself blurs the line here, but from a code perspective these things are quite distinct.

Perks are drawn from the enum XGTacticalGameCoreNativeBase.EPerkType -- in EU this had 111 entries, while in EW the list has been expanded to 172.

Abilities are drawn from the enum XGTacticalGameCoreData.EAbility -- in EU this had 89 entries, while in EW the list has been expanded to 96.

As you can see there are 61 new perks but only 7 new abilities.

I poked around a bit for the perks, and it seems like the new perks corresponded to, like you said, everything concerning a passive bonus or active ability.

As for the abilities, there are 9 MEC abilities alone, not counting new item abilities or new enemy abilities. Checking back, this seems to be because they removed a bunch of the unused and deprecated abilities in order to make way for the new ones (some of which they changed in-place and some of which they moved and put at the end...? Not sure why they didn't use a uniform method), but I see that the psi abilities I mentioned were in the EU abilities list anyway, eAbility_PsiReflect is the only new psi one. (EDIT: Krazyguy75 pointed this out while I was typing up this huge response... d'oh!)

That being said - and assuming adding abilities to things works this way - the new MEC abilities I mentioned could be added into the ABILITIES[X] array for certain standard soldier armor to turn, say, ghost armor (which is rendered much less useful by mimetic skin and muscle fiber implants) into EMP armor to use against Mechtoids and Sectopods. (That 50% damage reduction on Sectopods hurts.)

Also, for future reference, the EXALT-only gene mods

ePerk_GeneMod_AdrenalineSurge,
ePerk_GeneMod_IronSkin,
ePerk_GeneMod_RegenPheromones,
are available for when people start modding the gene tree.

Ghost armor is still OP, after all it is still 50% crit boost and damage immunity for a turn. Memetic skin is not as versatile as ghost armor for flat out bull rushes.

So I've just gotten EW working and I've got all changes related to resource hacker working. My question relates to the UPK files, xcomgame and xcomstrategygame in both the EU files and EW files. The EW files are too small to contain all the data from EU and then the extra data from EW, so I assumed that EW references the EU UPK files, meaning I could apply my mods to the EU xcomgame and strategygame and have their effects reflected when playing EW. I found this wasn't the case and EW can even run without the EU UPK files being present at all. I'm not a programming genius, but decent with computers in general. I just need to know where EW gets the values that were present in the EU xcomgame and xcomstrategygame UPK files so that I can apply my mods to that file and have their effects present when I play EW. Due to my rudimentary knowledge of programming I'm afraid the answer may be very simple and obvious, so please excuse a layperson >_<

Thank you very much for any help you can provide

Ghost armor is still OP, after all it is still 50% crit boost and damage immunity for a turn. Memetic skin is not as versatile as ghost armor for flat out bull rushes.

Then maybe the reasoning can be that ghost armor is OP and should be gotten rid of. The reasoning isn't so much the issue as is the idea that new armor sets can replace the old ones until we manage to actually add armor sets to the game.

So I've just gotten EW working and I've got all changes related to resource hacker working. My question relates to the UPK files, xcomgame and xcomstrategygame in both the EU files and EW files. The EW files are too small to contain all the data from EU and then the extra data from EW, so I assumed that EW references the EU UPK files, meaning I could apply my mods to the EU xcomgame and strategygame and have their effects reflected when playing EW. I found this wasn't the case and EW can even run without the EU UPK files being present at all. I'm not a programming genius, but decent with computers in general. I just need to know where EW gets the values that were present in the EU xcomgame and xcomstrategygame UPK files so that I can apply my mods to that file and have their effects present when I play EW. Due to my rudimentary knowledge of programming I'm afraid the answer may be very simple and obvious, so please excuse a layperson >_<

Thank you very much for any help you can provide

They've streamlined a lot of the data, but it's all still there, copied into XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\ and utilizing the same file structure. The only things missing are the other DLCs, which they don't automatically give you because you should have them if you bought them, and not if you didn't.

Edit: As I understand it, most things are downloaded as-is (not patched/modified from the original EU for EW) into the EW files, the point being to provide a stand-alone EW no matter what you did to EU. Whether or not it was intentional, Firaxis provided a ton of help to both modders and mod players in doing that. I, for one, un/reinstalled EU entirely because I didn't know EW would be standalone, and didn't want my changes to bork EW. Turns out I didn't even need to bother!

Edited by fardriel

They are under XEW/XComGame/CookedPC. And they contain all the data, as well. Unless your download messed up.

And they're still called xcomgame.upk and xcomstrategygame.upk? I'm curious, how big are those two files in your EW file? Mine are 3,736 kb and 1448 kb respectively. I only ask because I have very slow internet and a re-download would be bad. Also I feel like if the download had messed up it would crash constantly, but I'm no expert.

Edited by Satoron